Are powerstrips the new no-no?

teddie

[quote name='05mak05']I'm confused??? Are you worried about the fire hazard or being deprived of your power strip? Bed Bath Beyond also has a battery operated fan. I'm sure other stores do, too.[/quote]
[COLOR=darkorchid][B]Confused???[/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=darkorchid][B]Are you just posting to post or what???[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=darkorchid][/COLOR]
[COLOR=darkorchid][B]You need to chill the heck out.[/B][/COLOR]

I read on Cruise Critic several years ago about LL Bean's travel alarm....battery operated,
very thin and light, easy to see in the dark, has a thermometer on the face, and different
colors. It's 19.95, they offer free shipping on anything now. I can tell you I've had the
same battery in it for 2 years and use it for my bedside light. You just touch it and it
lights up, so you don't have that gow in the dark. Best info I think I ever got on CC out of
all the great hints and ideas I've read in 11 years.

[quote name='Thoie']I think the main question is have they actually prohibited them? Nothing that I have received so far from my Travel Agent or Royal Caribbean tells me that I may not use a power strip. I don't want to smuggle anything anywhere. If they tell me they're not suitable, that's fine. However some people have mentioned that they're being confiscated, others say they aren't.

If you can show me where Royal Caribbean says they're prohibited, then I'll know for definite, and won't bother purchasing and packing one. If they are not prohibited, then I would find it convenient to bring one with me.[/quote]

They are not on the list, but if you land in the Naughty room because the wrong inspector found it during scanning - then it is their decision about what to do. I think enough has been posted about the Surge Protectors to discourage anyone from packing one for the cruise.

• 1 month later...
Well that is crap because I need an extension cord for my CPAP machine I sleep with. If they confiscate my extension cord then they need to supply me w/ more plugs in the cabins, or an "approved, non-fire hazard" cord.....

I take a BiPap and a power scooter. When you fill out your special needs forms for RCCL they have an extension cord and distilled water waiting for you in the room for your CPAP. It is convenient and they know you have the right voltage and that the cords are in good shape! :)

What mini fan is that, I would be interested in a battery operated one.

I bet they would be less likely to take it from me...thanks!

Sheila,

I am sorry I did not see your post earlier. The fan was bought at Walmart. It is the "02 Cool" model number 1041. http://WWW.o2-cool.com. It takes 2 D size batteries. It folds flat for transport/storage. And it has TWO speeds. I love it.

A search for "prohiited items" on the RCCL web site shows that neither power strips nor extension cords are prohibited.

Carry this to show the less informed security people.

Good idea.

I found this on the RCCL website about what not to pack - I guess the tricky part is when they say "these and other smilar items":

What Not To Pack

Weapons, illegal drugs, and other items that could interfere with the safe operation of the ship or the safe and secure environment of our guests and crew are prohibited. The United States Transportation Security Administration also recommends that you do not pack fragile or expensive items (such as jewelry) in checked luggage.

The following are examples of items that guests are not allowed to bring onboard. These and other similar items will be confiscated upon being found. Alcoholic beverages, illegal drugs, flammable liquids, explosives, and dangerous chemicals will not be returned.

• Firearms & Ammunition, including realistic replicas.
  • *Sharp Objects, including knives and scissors.
  • Illegal Drugs & Substances
  • Candles & Incense
  • Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons, & Hot Plates
  • Baseball Bats, Hockey Sticks, Cricket Bats, Bows & Arrows
  • Skateboards & Surfboards
  • Martial Arts Gear
  • Self-Defense Gear, including handcuffs, pepper spray, night sticks.
  • Flammable Liquids and Explosives, including lighter fluid and fireworks.
  • HAM Radios
  • Dangerous Chemicals, including bleach and paint.
  • **Alcoholic and Non-Alcoholic Beverages

Note:

*Personal grooming items such as safety razors are allowed. Scissors with blade length less than 4 inches are allowed.

** Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports-of-call or from shops onboard will be stored by the ship and delivered to you on the last day of the sailing. Alcoholic beverages seized on embarkation day will not be returned.

What mini fan is that, I would be interested in a battery operated one.

I bet they would be less likely to take it from me...thanks!

I am sorry I did not see your post earlier. The fan was bought at Walmart. It is the "02 Cool" model number 1041. http://WWW.o2-cool.com. It takes 2 D size batteries. It folds flat for transport/storage. And it has TWO speeds. I love it.

I looked at Walmart today and could not find it and its not available on their website. I did find it online for $9.99 and free shipping. That's the cheapest I could find it. Haven't ordered it yet though. http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi

Sheila does this fan make any noise? My husband likes noise from a fan to sleep.

Archived