dining times with kids?

MentalVacation

we have landed on the legend, which has 4 ports.....we are travelling in a group with mostly adults (1 teen) plus our two young kids (2 1/2 an 5 1/2)

thoughts on dining time? we do not want to do anytime. I've done early and late and generally prefer late as it feels rushed to come back and eat right away after an excursion, and also with the late diners coming in, etc....BUT we would like to do at least *some* of the FDR meals as a family. (Right now I'm thinking a couple nights we'll either feed the kids at the buffet and take them to CC while we have a nice adults-only meal, or I believe CC will also feed them,).....

Thoughts?

I am torn -- early makes more sense in terms of the kid's schedules but isn't as relaxed as late dining (to my recollection, but i am not vastly experienced at both -- I've done early once and late twice, so it could just be the sailings/ships I was on?) I want it to be good for *ALL* of our group, not just the kids' schedule. (We are planning to take them with us on every excursion/port and utilizing CC on the 2 sea days for a little adult time...)

Here is another side question -- with CC, say we did do late, what happens if the kids are tired at CC? Do they call you or do they have cots or any place for the kids to rest? Just thinking about my kids' routines. :) Their bedtimes are pretty early! What about if you do the Carnival babysitting? I think I've read it is still at camp, not in the room? I assume they still put kids to sleep (younger kids at least?) in this time frame?

Just a couple of thoughts and a question or two....

is this your first vacation with the kids?

how have they been on other vacations, ie. do they stay up later, sleep later, etc.?

Life does change when you have kids and you do end up having to adjust your needs to meet theirs so early dining might have to be the way you go.

From my understanding with the littlest ones in Camp Carnival, they have beepers of sorts available for parents. Yes, they do allow for the napping.

I don't know how CC feeds the 2 1/2 year old. The older kiddies have some meals with CC in the buffet area but I can't remember if that is available every night.

Two nights, Camp Carnival will take the kids to the 8:30 show. Kids cannot be picked up during the show. There are no cots. They will probably call you to come get them if they fall alseep. The move around quite a bit and may not have staff to watch a sleeping child

Not our first vacation with the kids, but first cruise. We've done disney (when first was 2 1/2) and we've done several road trips and trips with both. This will easily be the most 'intensive' trip since Disney with the first, though.

The kids are very individualized -- one will do the late up/sleep late...the other is a little automaton -- no matter how late, up at the same (eeeeeeearly) hour. Ugh. ;) But he is older and less difficult on less sleep. :)

But that is definitely part of what I'm trying to balance....overall experience for group, kids and adults alike.

Two nights, Camp Carnival will take the kids to the 8:30 show. Kids cannot be picked up during the show. There are no cots. They will probably call you to come get them if they fall alseep. The move around quite a bit and may not have staff to watch a sleeping child

which is the show for early diners .. everything for the kids at night is based around the adults doing early dinner.

We've been cruising with our kids since they were 3 and 5. We've always done late dining. At home, our normal dinner time is 7:30 or later so eating at 6:00 is rather foreign to us. My kids are night owls and have no problem staying up until 11:00 or later while on vacation. At home, they're in bed by 9:00.

Once or twice per cruise, we let the kids have dinner at Camp Carnival at 6:00 and then stay until it closes for babysitting at 10:00. That gives my husband and I time for a quiet "dinner date". The kids love the dining room on formal night and wouldn't miss it.

The person above who posted of the kids being at shows and around the ship is referring to older kids (6 and up). Five and under will be in Camp except for the dinners where they have a blocked off area of the buffet.

Because of your two year old, you will likely be given a phone so that they can get hold of you if necessary. If the child is tired and not willing to sleep on the mats they have, they will call you. Evenings at Camp Carnival are mostly free play with a few activities going on. I've arrived to pick mine up at 10:00 and there have been kids sleeping, kids playing and kids watching movies.

We've been cruising with our kids since they were 3 and 5. We've always done late dining. At home, our normal dinner time is 7:30 or later so eating at 6:00 is rather foreign to us. My kids are night owls and have no problem staying up until 11:00 or later while on vacation. At home, they're in bed by 9:00.

Once or twice per cruise, we let the kids have dinner at Camp Carnival at 6:00 and then stay until it closes for babysitting at 10:00. That gives my husband and I time for a quiet "dinner date". The kids love the dining room on formal night and wouldn't miss it.

The person above who posted of the kids being at shows and around the ship is referring to older kids (6 and up). Five and under will be in Camp except for the dinners where they have a blocked off area of the buffet.

Because of your two year old, you will likely be given a phone so that they can get hold of you if necessary. If the child is tired and not willing to sleep on the mats they have, they will call you. Evenings at Camp Carnival are mostly free play with a few activities going on. I've arrived to pick mine up at 10:00 and there have been kids sleeping, kids playing and kids watching movies.

That is helpful -- both are going to be in the 2-5 age range, so that is helpful.

We will probably do a mix, but I do think we're going to do early dining.....still open to ideas from experienced family cruisers. :)

we really enjoyed anytime dining as we did not have to rush back from the ports. Kid's we either sent to camp if they wanted or took them to the buffet and ate with them there. We then took them to the Camp and enjoyed dinner ourselves. This way they can eat whenever and we can sit down at what ever time we wanted.....really enjoyed making that choice. We had our 1.5 year with us at the time as she was too young for camp, but our 3 and 9 year olds we used the camp and ate whenever...

Archived