Help me understand: cavetubing, time, tender, departure

mitsugirly

We will be cave tubing with .bz in September.

I know that this is a tender port. We are there from 8am-6pm. Guest must be on board 2 hours before departure=4pm.

I'm not taking a ship sponsored tour of course, which means I'm probably NOT going to be on the 1st or 2nd tender out. I've heard that the company WILL wait for you to arrive to depart on the tour.

From what I understand, it's about a 1 hour drive to the caves. Once there, about a 1/2 hr walk to the water.

How long does it take to get out of the caves and done tubing?

Then they take you to their place to eat. Then back to the ship port.

I'm wondering from those that have done the tour, about what time do you arrive back at the port?

I've heard people mention getting there on the "last" tender. What happens? At 4pm all the tenders stop running? What if people are standing there to take the tender and the tenders have stopped? I'm confused about that. :confused: Or will they run until all the people are over to the ship?

What happens if the tour is running late and you don't get to the port until after 4pm? You can't board the ship?

I've just read so many people talking about almost missing the ship (or missing the ship) because the gangway is pulled and the ship is pulling away. Will they leave the gangway open until right before they pull away at 6pm?

Any insight would be helpful to ease my mind. This will be the first time we have had to tender since the 80's or so and I'm getting nervous.

on the spirit, you do not have to be back 2 hours before, it was an hour before. 2 hours before is for embarking, not at the ports. all the excursion providers know when to get you back , they make their living at this. the last tender was at 5pm, yes the tenders quit running at that time because the gangway gets pulled up and the ship starts making preps to move out.

i did the lamanai and river safari, through ncl. it was a very long day and we made it back just in time for the last tender. of course, since the excursions was through ncl, it would not have been a problem...the ship would have waited.

you do want to be down, listed in the daily, where they hand out the tender tickets...the tenders move fast..doesn't take long to get everyone ashore..but a early tender ticket will let your tours started earlier.

the ship tours get divided up. some board fishing boats, snorkeling boats, etc...right from the ship. these tours do not use the tenders. we were on tender #1, with the VIPs and 3 or 4 of the ncl tours that did need to tender. since the tenders hold 150 ppl, there was still room for over 50 ppl with non-ncl tours. the 2nd tender (with pull up to the gangway as we left) was all non-ncl tours.

yes, you have a very good chance (If you get up early) to get on tender 1 or 2.

last tender is just that, the cut off for ppl to get back. otherwise ppl would be dragging back at all hours and the ships would never make it to the next port. we did have a boat hurry out with someone, they must have paid big bucks to get a ride to the ship. the ship did drop the gangway and let them on. but last tender does mean last "free" ride to the ship.

1352918112_Backonship.jpg.a463ccb1ac0fd0e9cb2812f955e3f656.jpg

Do you know how long it usually takes to go in the caves before you're done?

I know that the people doing tours, on any island, know the time to get us back because they do it for a living and don't want anyone coming back with a bad story to ruin their reputation. I do know that people have said they have a "back up" plan in case of a flat tire or something was to go wrong.

But, I'm just worried about this port for some reason. I don't know what it is. Maybe because I'm not in control of the time here. Maybe because it's a tender port. We usually do our own thing...grab a cab and go where we planned on going and when we are ready to leave, grab a cab back in plenty of time. However, this I have no control over and that is what is bothering me I guess. That and the amount of time it will take going to and from the caves (1 hr drive each way).

I don't know...I'm in need of a vacation so badly right now (and a vacation from school) and maybe I'm just being a worry-wart and I'm stressed. :(

Do you know how long it usually takes to go in the caves before you're done?

I know that the people doing tours, on any island, know the time to get us back because they do it for a living and don't want anyone coming back with a bad story to ruin their reputation. I do know that people have said they have a "back up" plan in case of a flat tire or something was to go wrong.

But, I'm just worried about this port for some reason. I don't know what it is. Maybe because I'm not in control of the time here. Maybe because it's a tender port. We usually do our own thing...grab a cab and go where we planned on going and when we are ready to leave, grab a cab back in plenty of time. However, this I have no control over and that is what is bothering me I guess. That and the amount of time it will take going to and from the caves (1 hr drive each way).

I don't know...I'm in need of a vacation so badly right now (and a vacation from school) and maybe I'm just being a worry-wart and I'm stressed. :(

Don't feel alone about being worried about this port. I will be on the Spirit in Oct 23rd and still not too sure what to do. I usually book thru the ship and do the Shark Ray Alley trip but that is no longer available. Someone suggested Coral Breezes but like you I am worried about the tendering and whether I would make it in time for the tour to start. Not too sure what to do but have started leaning towards booking a ship snorkel trip to be on the safe side.

I am jealous that you will be on the spirit before my trip.When doing a private tour where and when do you pick up your tender tickets?

i have been on the spirit, doing that same cruise...except we didn't do costa maya. the photo i posted was the sign at the gangway telling what time the last tender is. if you go to the ncl board, many will tell you...the 2 hour warning is for embarking only. at the ports the gangway will be picked up around 1/2 before the ship sails. last tender will be posted as you leave (usually an hour before sailing time)

yes, you are over stressing. the tour guides have been doing this for years and have everything well planned. plus they are very aware of when last tender is. they have other cars, available, if needed and stay in connect...by radio or phone...with their base of operations.

you main concern should be getting up in time to get a good breakfast, pick up early tender tickets and having some fun.

when the ship approarches it's mooring area, the tender boats will surround the ship. as one tender leaves, another docks ( at the gangway) it's a very fast operations. the tenders hold 150 ppl and go fast. the only hold up are the ppl that try to jump the line or don't want to play the by the rules and get tender tickets.

I definitely will let everyone know.

I think the stress of trying to get finals at school out of the way and planning this vacation is getting to me a little too much. I know I'm going to have a wonderful time. I'm just a worry wart. :p

We will be cave tubing with .bz in September.

I know that this is a tender port. We are there from 8am-6pm. Guest must be on board 2 hours before departure=4pm.

I'm not taking a ship sponsored tour of course, which means I'm probably NOT going to be on the 1st or 2nd tender out. I've heard that the company WILL wait for you to arrive to depart on the tour.

From what I understand, it's about a 1 hour drive to the caves. Once there, about a 1/2 hr walk to the water.

How long does it take to get out of the caves and done tubing?

Then they take you to their place to eat. Then back to the ship port.

I'm wondering from those that have done the tour, about what time do you arrive back at the port?

I've heard people mention getting there on the "last" tender. What happens? At 4pm all the tenders stop running? What if people are standing there to take the tender and the tenders have stopped? I'm confused about that. :confused: Or will they run until all the people are over to the ship?

What happens if the tour is running late and you don't get to the port until after 4pm? You can't board the ship?

I've just read so many people talking about almost missing the ship (or missing the ship) because the gangway is pulled and the ship is pulling away. Will they leave the gangway open until right before they pull away at 6pm?

Any insight would be helpful to ease my mind. This will be the first time we have had to tender since the 80's or so and I'm getting nervous.

We just got back from sailing on the Legend on Sunday. We booked the zip line and cave tubing with cave tubing.bz. We one of the first three tenders off the boat, the ride to the caves is a little over an hour, then since we were zip lining we did that first, then we hiked about 30 minutes, could be longer if hour guide stops and points out the different plants and trees. After the tubing everyone is allowed time ti change and get back on the bus. Then in about 15 minutes later, we pull over to a outside covered area to have some lunch, once that is over you get back on the bus for the ride back to town, we got back to town at 345, the last tender was at 4, but the line was very long and we just got in line and got on the tender in about 10 minutes.

We just got back from sailing on the Legend on Sunday. We booked the zip line and cave tubing with cave tubing.bz. We one of the first three tenders off the boat, the ride to the caves is a little over an hour, then since we were zip lining we did that first, then we hiked about 30 minutes, could be longer if hour guide stops and points out the different plants and trees. After the tubing everyone is allowed time ti change and get back on the bus. Then in about 15 minutes later, we pull over to a outside covered area to have some lunch, once that is over you get back on the bus for the ride back to town, we got back to town at 345, the last tender was at 4, but the line was very long and we just got in line and got on the tender in about 10 minutes.

Thanks!

So about what time did you actually make it off the ship and into the cab/bus to start going toward the caves?

So the last tender IS at 4pm. I know someone else said that they run until around 5pm, but yet the cruise site says to be back on the ship 2 hours before they leave.

Do you feel that you made it back at the time that you did because you did something extra other than the cave tubing (the zip line)? Was everyone on your tour doing the zip line? Or do they take the zip line people to where they need to go to and then just the cave tubing people go on to the caves?

Thanks so much for your help.

Please Note:

• Disembarkation usually begins 2 hours after docking.
  • Due to security reasons, all guests must be on board 2 hours before sailing.

We've been on 30+ cruises. These times above are DEFINATELY NOT related to ports of call. Disembarkation is referring to the end of the cruise when you finally disembark. The "2hrs before sailing" is referring to the day you get on the ship.

We've done this itinerary at lease 5 or 6 times. We've done several different excursions (Lamanai, Cavetubing, etc.) - all with independent companies. We just returned from a cruise where we went cavetubing with cavetubing.bz. They did a GREAT job. They are VERY aware of the time and understand that people are nervous. We got back 35 minutes before last tender was scheduled. The last tender was later because of a long line of people.

Please don't spend your time in Belize worrying - it will take away from the cavetubing experience. The caves are beautiful - you need to just lie back and relax and enjoy them. The time spent where you stop to eat is carefully monitored. If you are running late for any reason whatsoever, they can make an adjustment here. We probably spent 30-40 minutes at he local eatery.

I know how you feel. I am an extreme planner with a specific typed itinerary for every cruise. I always calculate everything to the minute on my itinerary. Breakfast 7:15am, Depart cabin for excursion 8:15am, etc. BUT - I do this so I DON'T have to stress about time on the cruise. Relax and enjoy!

Please Note:

• Disembarkation usually begins 2 hours after docking.
  • Due to security reasons, all guests must be on board 2 hours before sailing.

We've been on 30+ cruises. These times above are DEFINATELY NOT related to ports of call. Disembarkation is referring to the end of the cruise when you finally disembark. The "2hrs before sailing" is referring to the day you get on the ship.

We've done this itinerary at lease 5 or 6 times. We've done several different excursions (Lamanai, Cavetubing, etc.) - all with independent companies. We just returned from a cruise where we went cavetubing with cavetubing.bz. They did a GREAT job. They are VERY aware of the time and understand that people are nervous. We got back 35 minutes before last tender was scheduled. The last tender was later because of a long line of people.

Please don't spend your time in Belize worrying - it will take away from the cavetubing experience. The caves are beautiful - you need to just lie back and relax and enjoy them. The time spent where you stop to eat is carefully monitored. If you are running late for any reason whatsoever, they can make an adjustment here. We probably spent 30-40 minutes at he local eatery.

I know how you feel. I am an extreme planner with a specific typed itinerary for every cruise. I always calculate everything to the minute on my itinerary. Breakfast 7:15am, Depart cabin for excursion 8:15am, etc. BUT - I do this so I DON'T have to stress about time on the cruise. Relax and enjoy!

Thanks so much travelmom. You have put my mind at ease. I'm just going to sit back and relax and make sure that we have a good time and leave it in the hands of the cave tubing experts. I just think my stress with finishing up with school/finals and pre-cruise jitters is creeping in at the moment.

You helped a lot with your explanation. Thank you! :)

Hi Mitsu:

Hope the exam went well. When we did Belize, about 30 from our roll call did a tubing excursion one of the members arranged. The got back to the port area about 3:30, plenty of time for some cashew wine & a little shopping. If I remember correctly the last tender was about 1 hour before departure. The two hour thing is only for embarkation. You will see the last tender time posted several places & the tour company will know what it is also.

See you on the Buckeye Board:)

Hi Mitsu:

Hope the exam went well. When we did Belize, about 30 from our roll call did a tubing excursion one of the members arranged. The got back to the port area about 3:30, plenty of time for some cashew wine & a little shopping. If I remember correctly the last tender was about 1 hour before departure. The two hour thing is only for embarkation. You will see the last tender time posted several places & the tour company will know what it is also.

See you on the Buckeye Board:)

Thanks for the reassurance. This is helping a lot! :)

Thanks!

So about what time did you actually make it off the ship and into the cab/bus to start going toward the caves?

We actually were on our way about 915-930 or so.

So the last tender IS at 4pm. I know someone else said that they run until around 5pm, but yet the cruise site says to be back on the ship 2 hours before they leave.

That was the posted time for our ships last tender, but yours could be different.

Do you feel that you made it back at the time that you did because you did something extra other than the cave tubing (the zip line)? Was everyone on your tour doing the zip line? Or do they take the zip line people to where they need to go to and then just the cave tubing people go on to the caves?

No because there were about 30 people on our bus, only 9 of us did the zip first, but when we were in the caves some of the people from our bus actually floated past us. So we went to zip first, then tube and those cave tubing went straight to tubing. Those of us who zipped jsut got a shorter tube ride. So the timing is the same regardless of what you decide to do. I was a little worried as well, but I even manged to get a quick souvenior before getting in the tender line, and get back on the ship.

Enjoy your experince it will be fine. Dont let your worrying get the best of you.

From all my experiences with tendering - when the say the last tender leaves at 4:00 (or whatever) there is always a LONG line of people waiting to get on the last tender. So worst case scenario you do have some wiggle room there. But like everyone else has said these people do this day in and day out and can't afford negative reviews all over the internet like on CC! They know exactly how long it takes to do everything and can make up time in certain places if they need to. Also, if you go with a reputable company like .bz they do have back-up plans in case of flat tires and whatnot. I'm going with them in January, so I too would appreciate a review from you when you get back!

Enjoy your experince it will be fine. Dont let your worrying get the best of you.

Thanks for answering all my questions. I'm feeling a lot better about this now. :D

From all my experiences with tendering - when the say the last tender leaves at 4:00 (or whatever) there is always a LONG line of people waiting to get on the last tender. So worst case scenario you do have some wiggle room there. But like everyone else has said these people do this day in and day out and can't afford negative reviews all over the internet like on CC! They know exactly how long it takes to do everything and can make up time in certain places if they need to. Also, if you go with a reputable company like .bz they do have back-up plans in case of flat tires and whatnot. I'm going with them in January, so I too would appreciate a review from you when you get back!

I will definitely come back with my review/thoughts. :)

Thanks!

Note that the person you quoted sailed the Legend, so their times may not equal your times.

I generally use private tour operators and don't stress out much. If for whatever reason I was stressing over a specific port to the point where it might interfere with the purpose of the trip (relaxing), I would either:

a) just book through the cruiseline and pay the peace of mind fee

b) do something else less stressful

Hope this helps.

• 1 month later...
Thanks for answering all my questions. I'm feeling a lot better about this now. :D I will definitely come back with my review/thoughts. :)

Looking for your review of .bz! Did they get you anywhere to try cashew wine? Did you do any tourism village shopping? Our first time on Legend this January - trying to book Belize soon :o

Looking for your review of .bz! Did they get you anywhere to try cashew wine? Did you do any tourism village shopping? Our first time on Legend this January - trying to book Belize soon :o

My review can be found here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=30667696&postcount=44

Yes, we bought some cashew wine at their place they made us lunch at (and got to try it before purchasing. We looked around the village before heading back onto the ship, but only bought a tee-shirt. :)

Archived