Why can't I click into "other amount"?

Duncarob

what ever rep said they don't take partial payments didn't know what they were talking about and just said it as a easy way out I had the same problem just 3 days ago and it indeed would not let me make a partial payment I caleld carnival and spoke with some one from their website department and he walked me through correcting my settings to allow it. I also had to switch to explorer instead of using fire fox. after he walked me through the setting it's allowed me to do it ever since :)

Some brilliant person in the IT department decided to code that button so that it is only enabled when the radio button is checked. Problem is, they used IE 7 specific javascript to do it. Huge problem for anyone not running IE 7. If you are running IE8, there's an option to turn on compatibility view and that fixes it. If however, you are on a Mac, like I am, you're screwed as there is no IE.

However, i found a way around it in Firefox. There's a developer toolbar plug in. I have that installed and there's a forms drop down with an option to enable form fields. Load the page, click the enable form fields from the drop down, an alert pops up saying it enabled one field, and the partial payments then work.

As a brilliant person in an IT department, I would like to comment on this. Coding the page to only allow the partial payment textbox to become enabled only after its radio button is selected is a very good idea. This was not done to make things complicated for everyone.

Take this scenario...

The partial payment textbox is always enabled regardless of whether or not its radio button is selected. User enters an amount but doesn't select the radio button for the partial payment. They enter their payment information and click the submit button. Rather than their partail amount being applied, the user has actually just made the full remaining payment.

The above scenario, I am willing to bet, is the reason why the partail payment textbox will not become enabled until the user selects its respective radio button. The developers could always code it to always remain enabled and if the user enters a value in the textbox, then its respective radio button would become enabled. If the user selects the full payment radio button, then the partial payment textbox could be cleared.

I wouldn't put all of the blame on the developers on this one. I have a bunch of web content that stopped working correctly after IE8 came out. I don't yet have an IE9 machine available to me for testing but I am hopeful that some of the IE8 issues have been resolved in IE9. Is it any wonder that IE9 came out soo soon after IE8? I don't dislike the way IE8 performs from an end-user standpoint. However, from the developer's standpoint, it is a nightmare!

According to the Carnival rep, they do not accept partial payments online. Only the deposit and then the final payment amount. (Then why do they have a field for "other amount"??? Lame.).

That is BS.....I made 1 or 2 partial payments each month for about 6 months and then paid it off the day it was due.

As a brilliant person in an IT department, I would like to comment on this. Coding the page to only allow the partial payment textbox to become enabled only after its radio button is selected is a very good idea. This was not done to make things complicated for everyone.

Take this scenario...

The partial payment textbox is always enabled regardless of whether or not its radio button is selected. User enters an amount but doesn't select the radio button for the partial payment. They enter their payment information and click the submit button. Rather than their partail amount being applied, the user has actually just made the full remaining payment.

The above scenario, I am willing to bet, is the reason why the partail payment textbox will not become enabled until the user selects its respective radio button. The developers could always code it to always remain enabled and if the user enters a value in the textbox, then its respective radio button would become enabled. If the user selects the full payment radio button, then the partial payment textbox could be cleared.

I wouldn't put all of the blame on the developers on this one. I have a bunch of web content that stopped working correctly after IE8 came out. I don't yet have an IE9 machine available to me for testing but I am hopeful that some of the IE8 issues have been resolved in IE9. Is it any wonder that IE9 came out soo soon after IE8? I don't dislike the way IE8 performs from an end-user standpoint. However, from the developer's standpoint, it is a nightmare!

Unless you are using the correct browser (IE) you still can't enter an amount after the radio button has been selected. The requirement of selecting the radio button is not the issue.

Carnival's website should work properly with all the major browsers, bot just IE, which is only used by approximately 40% of users.

Trying to make a payment. The choices are to pay off the full balance or to pay "other amount". The problem is, I am unable to click into the other amount field to enter my payment amount. I have tried on internet explorer and on mozilla. Anyone know how to get around this? Yes, I know I can always call Carnival to make a payment...... but I'm a do-it-yourself-er. LOL

THANK YOU! I am having the same problem. Tried calling my PVP and he's not in the office. UGH!!!!! :mad:

The problem with this issue in the compatibility mode in your browser. I can only get it to work in Internet explorer. I normally use Chrome but it work work right. After several problems and contacting Carnival, somebody on Johns blog told me to hit the compatibility mode button and it started working, I can now put in other amount. This is an issue with your browser. If I turn off compatibility mode it won't work.

Thanks Jeffy294! Thats exactly what I did and it worked! :D I was able to use the Compatability button and the "other" button for Carnival worked like a charm!!!!!

Carnival's website should work properly with all the major browsers, bot just IE, which is only used by approximately 40% of users.

I definately will not dispute that. A site should be written to work on all platforms. I was just giving a scenario as to WHY the more than likely coded the page the way they did. With browsers being updated and a handful of different versions for each of them available, it is sometimes impossible to code for every situation. It is ALWAYS a moving target, and the more complicated a site tries to get, the harder it is to keep all things compatible.

There are 100 ways to skin a cat. It looks like the first way Carnival chose may have not been the best way. That is why I suggested an alternate that included always having the textbox enabled and altering the radio button if the user enters a value iof they can't find some way to correct their original method.

And for the record, Royal's website is just as bad when it comes to being buggy. This is not isolated to just Carnival.

More to the point, when they cancel your reservation for not making a full final payment, no one calls then either! It is automated. If they can automate that, then they certainly can automate a 7 day notice to advise you that there is a balance due and that it is your responsibility to resolve the matter.

The same number of people Carnival didn't have time to call, now call in... and Carnival has to handle incoming calls. The customer then has to explain it to an agent who is not up to speed on their reservation and has to catch up. So it is the same number of phone calls that have to be made or handled either way.

But honestly, I don't expect Carnival to call... :rolleyes: it just ought to be easier to give them money. Why refuse money? If we know we generally run up a $1,000 bill :eek: on the Sign and Sail, why on earth refuse an advance payment?

Anyway... :p Keep on sailing everyone!

No argument here. Why Carnival would not give someone who was a day late the opportunity to pay their fare in full is beyond me. If they cancel cruises due to non-payment, I would think that would increase their need to try and get those cabins re-sold. That would be a pain. Whatever. As I said earlier, I always plan to pay my cruise fare in full at least a couple of months before the deadline. Then I don't have to worry about having

my cruise cancelled. No, I just concentrate on watching the countdown clock on my desktop.

Thank you so much for this advice! I had been trying to make a partial payment now for a month and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't let me. I never even knew that page view compatibility existed. That's why these boards are so great! Thanks again!

• 1 month later...

Archived