Didja Know? MDR=McDonald's Room

Cruise Cat

I don't think they are majority....I think they are a very outspoken minority:D. Carnival is focusing on the people who want to have fun on a budget. The old school loyalist want to have fun the way it use to be and raise the price if you have to. Carnival is not targeting this group so they are complaining. Fortunately for Carnival, their target group is also responding with praise for the changes. Time will tell who will put their money where there mouth (or keyboard) is:D.

You're right there. I'd guess that there's about 40-50,000 people a week who cruise Carnival ships. There's maybe 500 active Carnival posters on this Board, who cruise once or twice a year. And many of them like the changes to the menu.

I was just saying that I don't believe the people going crazy about shrimp cocktail, menu graphics and meatloaf represent the majority of CC members. I think most CC members think the outrage is comical.

Oh I agree with you on that. That's why I said I believe the majority of the complainers were "Carnival loyalists". Otherwise they would welcome the change IMHO.

These threads are beginning to get pathetic already.. I'm glad we are not as picky as some, if I don't like the MDR I'll head over to the Buffet. I know that will gain some gasps :eek: as that to many is over the top. Whatever any more.. if my life evolved that much around food I'd be a basketcase.. :)

I would be fat :mad:. I do know some people who think food 24/7. That's probably the ones that are complaining on these boards about the food :eek:.

I was in the Ol$$$ Garden franchise for a while. They have a core list of ingredients and then spin multiple dishes off of them and hit it with different sauces. I laugh when they advertise new dishes. Same core ingredients with a different spin, name and sauce. Everyone does it. It's all fresh and not bad but it appears as new items, freshening up the menu and different price points. Meatloaf might be better than the daily double.

Your statement isn't accurate. First of all, every OG restaurant is company owned, no franchises at all.

Second, they send a lot of their managers to Italy to learn about Italian meals.

True, you have chicken and if you put a lemon sauce you have chicken picatta and if you put a wine sauce you have chicken marsala and so on, but there are more differences to those two dishes than the sauce.

Wish you wouldn't embellish on the facts of this particular chain.:(

I was just saying that I don't believe the people going crazy about shrimp cocktail, menu graphics and meatloaf represent the majority of CC members. I think most CC members think the outrage is comical.

Oh how I agree!!! This whole thing is a "food soap opera"

I believe that this isn't just about food....this is the reaction after a boat load of changes that began with Cahill taking over. The food was just the last straw....obviously the one that broke the proverbial camel's back.

All these people are complaining about food they DO NOT HAVE TO EAT!!

Is anybody going to hold a gun to your head and make you order chicken or meat loaf?

I do not eat Lobster...maybe I should complain about Carnival spending all that money on that expensive dish. But, no, I know some people want lobster and am glad they enjoy it.

Now, I agree there have been some cut backs by Carnival, but not on food.

What I do know is that I can still get a cruise for about $100 a day (I stay inside.) I compare that to go to Gulf Shores, get a Motel Room, eat out (at Golden Corrall or Applebees) three times a day, go to the amusement park or other entertainment and I will spend well over the $200 my wife and I spend on a day at sea.

Carnival is still an amazing deal to me.

I think the new menus look pretty good

Carnival offers a very competitive product, and does it very well.

We feel we get a very good value for our money, and the food choices and quality fit right in with our expectations.

Good quality food, decent selection, nicely prepared and served.

When we want fine dining, we will pay for it.

On Carnival, we don't expect or pay for it.

I am a foodie, and a bit of a food snob. I like to dress up for dinner, it's one of things I look forward to on a cruise, and on vacation. I'm looking for a different experience than my every day life, clothes and foodwise. On my recent cruise I found that even while eating vegetarian, there were plenty of upscale options to choose from (1 per meal, but each night there was a good choice). I just ignored that half of the menu, and focused on the choices I wanted.

I don't think the casual items take away from the fine dining options. I think there are always going to be people who order the alternative meals. I don't understand them, but to each their own.

I have said it before I will say it again: Carnival is $400 pp cheeper than the rest. If you eat in the pay restrant its $30 - $210 for the whole cruise, save $190 unless yo like to rockwall climb !!!

$400 dollars less then the rest of what?

Let me see if I have this straight...... some people are griping about the menu items being a 'downgrade', yet there is a constant push to do away with the dining room dress code because "people want to be casual". Maybe Carnival figures that if people want a more casual atmosphere and dress code while eating, that they also might want a choice of some more casual foods???

I think the same people who are happy with the new menu are the ones who want a very casual dress code in the dining room. Congratulations!!!!

This is what the Carnival customer is demanding. We will be taking our family on the Legend in February. We are looking forward to a fun time. Carnival is not the cruiseline it used to be. None of the mass market lines are. For some reason we here in the good old USA can't be satisfied until we have dumbed down everything. We have made them do away with formal night, now we have food in the dining room just like in any casual restaurant chain anywhere in the good old USA. I believe before many more years the MDR will go away all together. I for one am not happy with the dress code changes or the menu changes, but it seems I am in the minority. We cruise on Princess & HAL also. They are about the same as Carnival. They seem to be trying a little harder to hang on to some of the traditions of cruising, but where Carnival goes they all seem to follow. Having said all of this there is still nothing better to me than a cruise Vacation. So until the changes become to much for me to stand, I will continue to cruise and enjoy my vacation. I remember the good old days of cruising with fondness of days gone by.

The NEW menu's look pretty good to me, something for everyone. Carnival is trying to stay fresh with "DIDJA" portion of the menu, I'm sure some of it is cut backs it's the world we live in. But really people it's only food, not life or death. Enjoy your vacation and stop crying.

I think the same people who are happy with the new menu are the ones who want a very casual dress code in the dining room. Congratulations!!!!

This is what the Carnival customer is demanding. We will be taking our family on the Legend in February. We are looking forward to a fun time. Carnival is not the cruiseline it used to be. None of the mass market lines are. For some reason we here in the good old USA can't be satisfied until we have dumbed down everything. We have made them do away with formal night, now we have food in the dining room just like in any casual restaurant chain anywhere in the good old USA. I believe before many more years the MDR will go away all together. I for one am not happy with the dress code changes or the menu changes, but it seems I am in the minority. We cruise on Princess & HAL also. They are about the same as Carnival. They seem to be trying a little harder to hang on to some of the traditions of cruising, but where Carnival goes they all seem to follow. Having said all of this there is still nothing better to me than a cruise Vacation. So until the changes become to much for me to stand, I will continue to cruise and enjoy my vacation. I remember the good old days of cruising with fondness of days gone by.

How are menu and dress code changes dumbing things down? So the dumb people are the ones who don't freak out when we can't eat shrimp cocktail seven nights in a row? Dumb if we think fried chicken and meatloaf aren't beneath our dignity? Dumb if we don't want to pay $50 each way to check two suits in a garment bag when we fly?

As a dumb guy I couldn't resist pointing out that in your post the dignified non-dumb guy used the adjectives "good old" three times, misspelled "too" and capitalized "vacation" unnecessarily. icon12.gif

Actually gourmet burgers are a big hit at 5 star land restraunts, now shrimp coctail you can get at dennys , your not a food snob i see.;)

LOL, I really get the feeling that MOST(not all) of the people complaining that the availability of certain items on the menu somehow lowers the standard of the establishment have little to no experience with actual 4/5 star restaurants, or what actually goes on inside them. (I'm pretty sure I saw a few people use the Olive Garden as a comparison!)

You can order a porterhouse at the Waffle House, and you can order French Fries at Morel's. It's not about what it's called, it's about the quality of the ingredients, the preparation, presentation, and most importantly, the taste.

For reference, here are a couple menu links to a couple truly "fine dining" (albeit chain) restaurants. Dinner for 4 with just a couple drinks at either of these places would cost considerably more than the average Carnival Cruise. I've never heard anyone complain that the presence of Meatloaf on the menu cheapened the experience!

Note the Mac and cheese:

http://www.delfriscos.com/menupdfs/D...lottePrint.pdf

Here's one with both Mac and cheese AND Meatloaf...

http://sullivansteakhouse.com/charlotte-menu.php

These are not uncommon by any means.

By the way, show up at either of these places in any reasonably fashionable attire, and you'll be welcomed with open arms. Cheap suits and house dresses not required!

I think the new menus look pretty good

Carnival offers a very competitive product, and does it very well.

We feel we get a very good value for our money, and the food choices and quality fit right in with our expectations.

Good quality food, decent selection, nicely prepared and served.

When we want fine dining, we will pay for it.

On Carnival, we don't expect or pay for it.

even their fine dining venue was converted to a steakhouse.

and it seems that most don't mind the $100 a day charge being changed to a $90 a day experience, and carnival will pocket that $10 in their bank account.

this all reminds me of a recent wedding, where the hosts had a huge block of cheese strewn with crackers for cocktail hour, and the entree were chicken parts and salisbury steak, served family style.

everyone was in the bathroom changing their gift amounts.

I believe that this isn't just about food....this is the reaction after a boat load of changes that began with Cahill taking over. The food was just the last straw....obviously the one that broke the proverbial camel's back.

Ahhhh, we finally get to the root of the problem.

this all reminds me of a recent wedding, where the hosts had a huge block of cheese strewn with crackers for cocktail hour, and the entree were chicken parts and salisbury steak, served family style.

everyone was in the bathroom changing their gift amounts.

I've been to weddings like that...however, I never changed the gift amount.:eek:

That's pretty crappy.... :(

OP......Just think of the possibilities of the unique things you can do to garnish Southern Fried Chicken and make it a professional chef's 4 or 5-star presentation!!!! :eek: Can't wait to see a sprig of mint or a swirl of ketchup along the outer edges of the meatloaf. :p

I guess Carnival is going to have to employ the services of a wordsmith to describe how delectable and gourmet tasting their chicken pot pie is in their advertisements. ;)

Now, having said that, I am from the south and love all those things and will vouch that Carnival did get the name right.....it is comfort food for sure! Just a little shocked and would have never imagined they would show up on a cruise ship menu. I really don't care they are there, I have other choices, but............really? JMHO. :cool:

Archived