Didja Know? MDR=McDonald's Room

Cruise Cat

OP, is your real problem with the "lesser" dishes themselves, or are you really saying, "I don't want to see meatloaf and burgers on the same menu as upscale dishes like filet and lobster"? It seems the latter. Obviously, you can order the upscale dishes and leave the meatloaf alone, but do you think the upscale dishes are of lower quality because they share menu space with meatloaf? In other words, do you enjoy the lobster or filet less because you had to order them off a menu that includes meatloaf, or do you actually think the quality of the filet is lesser? That is not a rhetorical question; I really want to know your answer.

Has anyone actually tasted the meatloaf in question? It may be the best tasting thing you've ever eaten. Broiled to perfection and stuffed with peppers and sour cream and glazed with teriyaki. Better than some rancid seafood that came out of a cess pool somewhere that I wouldn't consider swimming in. That tenderized horse might be a thought too. :) Personally I'm happy with a bowl of REALLY GOOD rice and a plate of yakisoba.

Let me see if I have this straight...... some people are griping about the menu items being a 'downgrade', yet there is a constant push to do away with the dining room dress code because "people want to be casual". Maybe Carnival figures that if people want a more casual atmosphere and dress code while eating, that they also might want a choice of some more casual foods???

I said this yesterday and it is so true. The more we lower our personal standards, the more standards get lowered around us, so that we keep accomodating lower standards in a swirling cesspool of well, you know. STOP! If you don't like the lowering of standards, raise your own. And stick to it, that's what having moral fiber is all about.

Really? So if food was included in price "x" in 1989, and there are 20 more people in that same house in 2011, you would expect to pay less?

So you could feed twenty for the same price as the ten 22 years later?

Your thinking is flawed.

you clearly haven't read the thread about the cost of a carnival meal. i spend more at a parking meter for a couple of hours shopping.

I said this yesterday and it is so true. The more we lower our personal standards, the more standards get lowered around us, so that we keep accomodating lower standards in a swirling cesspool of well, you know. STOP! If you don't like the lowering of standards, raise your own. And stick to it, that's what having moral fiber is all about.

marshhawk, You make an interesting point, but whose personal standards are being lowered? We could make a case that in viewing age differences alone, personal standards, based on sultrual differences, are very diverse. If we factor in geographic variables, well.......... you get the picture.

I told this story on a thread a few weeks ago. A firend went to Africa for the Peace Corp. Some men picked her up at the airport. They were driving a pick-up truck. In the back of the truck was a gorgeous goat. My friend visited with the goat for quite some time during the long ride to the camp. It never occurred to her that the goat was dinner and would be slaughtered in her full view, halfway through the trip. She was hysterical. The men picking her up did not get her hysterics at all.

FYI.....I do not like formal nights. I dress up all the time for my husband's job. On a cruise I put on the dress, but I am not a really happy camper. I am not lowering my standards. I just want, at that moment,to relax.

We all have different points of view and someone else's standards should be respected, but I do not have to share them.

I think the point that the OP was trying to make is that in this day and age, we (consumers) seem to always be paying more and getting less. It is not just Carnival, it is everywhere. And it is not just the food. Many would complain if they stopped turn down service.

I have seen many comments on these boards about the Carnival cruise price today being the same as it was many many years ago. Bravo to Carnival for keeping the price down. However, if you used to get butler type service, Cokes included, and more high end cuisine in the MDR, then you are really not getting the same value that you did in the past. And I believe that is what posters like this are trying to say (it is not specifically about the menu, the menu is just one part of the equation). Paying $50 for a meal at a five star restaurant 20 years ago is not the same as paying $50 for a meal at Chili's today. You are getting less value for your same $50.

Posters keep harping about Carnival is trying to keep the price cheap. I agree 100%. I booked Carnival because of the price. Anyone can make cuts, a fifth grader can figure that out. However a really brilliant company could figure out how to enhance the service and offer more to the customer, without raising the price.

You may want to lower your expectations a bit. With Carnival we are not paying more and getting less. We are paying the same (actually less with inflation) and getting less. Why? Because the cost of the items being offered have risen and the cost to cruise has not. Realistically something has to give. Quite frankly I don't know of many companies that can offer more, have rising costs and not raise prices. I think some of you really need a reality check. Carnival chose not to raise prices to reach their target markets. Cuts have taken place. Many people have not felt the impact of these cuts and all new cruisers have no clue what the cuts entail. These are Carnival's target customers.

When I purchase a cruise I know what I am paying for. I expect change with time and the economy. Fortunately for me the changes made have not affected me at all. If they did then I would take that into I account when I decide who to sail with. I am currently a target customer for Carnival. (FYI - I have an MBA and 6 figure income so I am not an ignorant, low life as some like to pretend all Carnival customers are if they are not affected by the cuts - I'm just not a foodie and I could care less if the music was "live" or not). I wouldn't sit here on these boards constantly whining that Carnival no longer offers what "I" want even though I am paying the same price to cruise as I did 10 years ago. Get real people. In this economy you need to adjust your expectations to reality.

Carnival knows who their target market is and they are adjusting what they offer to get that market. It may no longer be "you" they are targeting. If the "gourmet" food and the "live" music are key factors for you then you may not be a target customer for Carnival. Although IMHO there are still a lot of "gourmet" choices being offered (even the mac & cheese which is not out of blue box:rolleyes:) and I heard quite a bit of "live" music on our last Glory cruise. There are many, many people happy with what Carnival is offering for the price they are offering it at. If there weren't then Carnival wouldn't be in business.

One more note is that some posters have complained about a Carnival having declining service. In my experience, this has not been true. I would never rate a ship or cruise line based on someone elses service experience or their food preferences or their taste in music or entertainment. These items are too subjective and I would much rather make my own opinion based on my own likes and experience. I would suggest everyone else do the same. Carnival may not be for you. That's okay there are many other options out there...give them a try and you might find what appeals to you. So far all the cruiselines in the running for my business since I have not had a cruise experience yet that I didn't like. Even if I did, I highly doubt I would blame a whole cruiseline for it. Things happen. That's life. I prefer to learn from my experience and move forward.

I can understand how folks who take eating seriously can take offense to SOME of the items on the new menu. However, there are still MANY top notch dining items on the menu.

I PERSONALLY appreciate some of the 'more home town' type choices. It will certainly make it easier for fussy teenagers to find something they like on the menu that still has a bit of a 'grown up flair'.

Yeah, I agree. All this poo-pooing about "comfort" food. A lot of people are picky and don't like fancier choices. My sister and my dad are both very picky and only like hamburgers but they would hate to have to eat at the buffet every night. I like that there are simpler choices for people with less "sophisticated" palates.

Personally, I'm a vegetarian and I really enjoyed some of the vegetarian options on our cruise. They were done very well.

Perhaps Carnival isn't trying to scrimp but trying to simply give more options for its diverse passengers?

You don't have to lower your "personal standard". If Carnival doesn't meet your "standards", then sail on a line that does. I have not lowered my "personal standards" and Carnival still meets my "standards". I have no need or desire to raise my "standards" which are not in a swirling cesspool of.... Therefore, I will continue to consider Carnival when making cruise choices.

You can not assume that your "standard" is my "standard" or anyone else's. We are all different...and that is not a bad thing. It doesn't mean your "standards" are better than mine or vice versa. If you think so, then you are the one with the problem. Swirling cesspool?? Really:rolleyes:???

Geeeze Carnival. It used to the "Formal Dining Room", then the downgrade and removal of a course at it became the "Main Dining Room" often referred to as "MDR". Now, another downgrade with menu items like hamburgers, fried chicken, and meatloaf (aka - all the leftover meat) and a menu itself which looks like it came from a corner diner. I fully expect it to be laminated with mazes and puzzles on the back side to use your crayons on while you also use it as a place mat.

Bottom line reality is they will keep downgrading until we all stop sailing. That seems to be their business model. I wish they would just raise the cruise price and quit cutting (I'm in the minority on here, I realize this).

What's next, a "Whale Tail Napkin Dispenser" in the center of the table?

I think its great having burgers...my youngest son is 13 and sometimes likes a burger for dinner.....these are not the same burgers used on the lido deck. Although i do agree with you that rasing the price and keeping things the same or improving would be a plus. But i bet because the economy is down they know people won't be spending like they did a few years ago so made some adjustments. Smart move on their part i would say!

Way Way Way too much bandwidth is being wasted on this topic for the less than drastic changes on the menus. Add a few, drop a few, swap a few around. Happens all the time in your local franchises. And every single meal at many upper crust places.

Following the posts on this site, there will be a day, sooner or later that all the cutting will be when ccl hits bottom.

Then the bean counters will bailout with nice severence (sp) package, leaving a wasteland.

odd. that's what's going on in my company. new regime came in and tightened all the reigns. less offerings, less service.

took two years to go into chapter 11. as each master planner is let go, they have an oh so nice severance package.

and of course, there names are on the top of the lawsuit against the company.

and then there's circuit city.

You may want to lower your expectations a bit. With Carnival we are not paying more and getting less. We are paying the same (actually less with inflation) and getting less. Why? Because the cost of the items being offered have risen and the cost to cruise has not. Realistically something has to give. Quite frankly I don't know of many companies that can offer more, have rising costs and not raise prices. I think some of you really need a reality check. Carnival chose not to raise prices to reach their target markets. Cuts have taken place. Many people have not felt the impact of these cuts and all new cruisers have no clue what the cuts entail. These are Carnival's target customers.

When I purchase a cruise I know what I am paying for. I expect change with time and the economy. Fortunately for me the changes made have not affected me at all. If they did then I would take that into I account when I decide who to sail with. I am currently a target customer for Carnival. (FYI - I have an MBA and 6 figure income so I am not an ignorant, low life as some like to pretend all Carnival customers are if they are not affected by the cuts - I'm just not a foodie and I could care less if the music was "live" or not). I wouldn't sit here on these boards constantly whining that Carnival no longer offers what "I" want even though I am paying the same price to cruise as I did 10 years ago. Get real people. In this economy you need to adjust your expectations to reality.

Carnival knows who their target market is and they are adjusting what they offer to get that market. It may no longer be "you" they are targeting. If the "gourmet" food and the "live" music are key factors for you then you may not be a target customer for Carnival. Although IMHO there are still a lot of "gourmet" choices being offered (even the mac & cheese which is not out of blue box:rolleyes:) and I heard quite a bit of "live" music on our last Glory cruise. There are many, many people happy with what Carnival is offering for the price they are offering it at. If there weren't then Carnival wouldn't be in business.

One more note is that some posters have complained about a Carnival having declining service. In my experience, this has not been true. I would never rate a ship or cruise line based on someone elses service experience or their food preferences or their taste in music or entertainment. These items are too subjective and I would much rather make my own opinion based on my own likes and experience. I would suggest everyone else do the same. Carnival may not be for you. That's okay there are many other options out there...give them a try and you might find what appeals to you. So far all the cruiselines in the running for my business since I have not had a cruise experience yet that I didn't like. Even if I did, I highly doubt I would blame a whole cruiseline for it. Things happen. That's life. I prefer to learn from my experience and move forward.

You don't have to lower your "personal standard". If Carnival doesn't meet your "standards", then sail on a line that does. I have not lowered my "personal standards" and Carnival still meets my "standards". I have no need or desire to raise my "standards" which are not in a swirling cesspool of.... Therefore, I will continue to consider Carnival when making cruise choices.

You can not assume that your "standard" is my "standard" or anyone else's. We are all different...and that is not a bad thing. It doesn't mean your "standards" are better than mine or vice versa. If you think so, then you are the one with the problem. Swirling cesspool?? Really:rolleyes:???

Both posts are excellent...thank you for saving me a whole lot of typing!;):)

Way Way Way too much bandwidth is being wasted on this topic for the less than drastic changes on the menus. Add a few, drop a few, swap a few around. Happens all the time in your local franchises. And every single meal at many upper crust places.

AGREED!!! Let's stop the insanity!;)

Geeeze Carnival. It used to the "Formal Dining Room", then the downgrade and removal of a course at it became the "Main Dining Room" often referred to as "MDR". Now, another downgrade with menu items like hamburgers, fried chicken, and meatloaf (aka - all the leftover meat) and a menu itself which looks like it came from a corner diner. I fully expect it to be laminated with mazes and puzzles on the back side to use your crayons on while you also use it as a place mat.

Bottom line reality is they will keep downgrading until we all stop sailing. That seems to be their business model. I wish they would just raise the cruise price and quit cutting (I'm in the minority on here, I realize this).

Please could you pass the Grey Poupon.

Personally, I'm a vegetarian and I really enjoyed some of the vegetarian options on our cruise. They were done very well.

Hey I'm curious - have you had the Indian vegetarian meal?

I am not a vegatarian, but I AM a sucker for Indian food. Would like to know if it's good or not.

Thanks,

..Trin..

Hey Chuck, don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel.:eek:;)

Well said.:D

Ah, the voice of reason...from someone that understands business! I'd guess 99% of complaints are from non-business people. I really have nothing to add to your most excellent post because you either get it or you don't.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

I was in the Ol$$$ Garden franchise for a while. They have a core list of ingredients and then spin multiple dishes off of them and hit it with different sauces. I laugh when they advertise new dishes. Same core ingredients with a different spin, name and sauce. Everyone does it. It's all fresh and not bad but it appears as new items, freshening up the menu and different price points. Meatloaf might be better than the daily double.

Archived