Didja Know? MDR=McDonald's Room

Cruise Cat

I believe that most cruise lines CCL included) are very good about handling meals for people with severe allergies. Have you tried contacting someone to inquire??

Yes. We have been doing this for years. Unfortunately, on the Miracle, with YTD in the same room as assigned seating - they have no where that is considered "safe" by the Maitre D'. So, they always tell us not to go to Elegant Night in the MDR (no big deal).

But, they have advised that with the increase in the freshly cooked shrimp for each night - that it would be more dining at our own risk. And, since the buffet presents it's own challenges, it's really just David's as an option.

They've always done great before - but this isn't a "menu/food" issue - it's the airborne allergen issue (DH's shellfish allergy is airborne). (It's similar to many with nut allergies - it's airborne).

In the past, we've had nights where we had to leave early since there was too much of it near us; but this time, with it on the menu every night, the chances are increased greatly.

And, before anyone chimes in, we are not complaining. It's a good thing for those who enjoy it. However, with only one alternative restaurant - it definitely will impact our personal experience on board for meals.

It is what it is.

Price is Carnival's Niche - not amenities and the finer things other cruise lines offer. Why would they abandon their profitable strong position in the market to try and compete with the other lines already offering what you want? For every person willing to pay for better quality this and that on a cruise, there are many many more who can only afford Carnival prices. You ARE in the minority as you said, and Carnival knows that very well. Carnival is what it is because it works. You have a decision to make - Carnival has already made theirs.

Sadly you're right. Carnival has chosen to offer a lower level food on their ships. Its not really that that is the issue IMHO. The issue is the quality of the food in general. Yes, they've chosen to downgrade their food but they also chosen to lower their quality everywhere.

I go back to my suggestion with Carnival. Do away with the MDR all together. You want to eat then you have 2 choices.

1. Head to the buffet and eat for free.

2. Go to one of the paid dining venues and enjoy first class food. Also, severely restrict the dress code in the paid venues. Absolutely no shorts, flip flops, wife beaters, Tshirt. You MUST be dressed appropriately.

This would allow Carnival to lower prices even more and give people who want a first class dining venue their option.

Good point. I dont see what all the fuss is about, dont order meatloaf if you dont like it. There are still many other things on the menu. As far as the look of the menu goes i dont think the look of the menu determines how the cook prepared it. This is my first cruise and I can honestly say what influenced my choice was Carnivals rep of good tasting food (whether its fried chicken or lobster tails) and great prices!! I cant wait...

In some respects you're lucky. The first cruise sets the standard for the rest of your cruising life. For many of us, our first cruise came a number of years ago when one of the highlights of a cruise was the food. I remember when I returned from the Fantasy more than 10 years ago - the food was the first thing I mentioned. Having completed 3 Carnival cruises in the last year or so I saw a steady and sure decline in the quality. On the Valor I was ok with the food but just ok. I put it down to the fact we had cruised Princess the year before and experienced THE best food on any ship we've been on. So when we cruised the Destiny a few months later and found the food so-so, I began to wonder. A poor experience with the Liberty and its food a few months after that answered any questions I may have had - it was simply not very good. Not up to the standards they once set for themselves. So then to find out that they were offering fried chicken and meatloaf in the MDR, that represented yet another decline in my eyes. I will pay slightly more and cruise on other lines for better food until Carnival realizes they've gone a step too far and begin to make changes.

For many of us, our first cruise came a number of years ago when one of the highlights of a cruise was the food. .

...and the music ;)

It is what it is.

I'm sorry his allergies are that bad...on a good note however, even though it costs more, dining at the steakk house every night sounds pretty darn awesome :) I hope you have a great cruise!

Geeeze Carnival. It used to the "Formal Dining Room", then the downgrade and removal of a course at it became the "Main Dining Room" often referred to as "MDR". Now, another downgrade with menu items like hamburgers, fried chicken, and meatloaf (aka - all the leftover meat) and a menu itself which looks like it came from a corner diner. I fully expect it to be laminated with mazes and puzzles on the back side to use your crayons on while you also use it as a place mat.

Bottom line reality is they will keep downgrading until we all stop sailing. That seems to be their business model. I wish they would just raise the cruise price and quit cutting (I'm in the minority on here, I realize this).

What's next, a "Whale Tail Napkin Dispenser" in the center of the table?

Actually gourmet burgers are a big hit at 5 star land restraunts, now shrimp coctail you can get at dennys , your not a food snob i see.;)

...and the music ;)

I'm sorry his allergies are that bad...on a good note however, even though it costs more, dining at the steakk house every night sounds pretty darn awesome :) I hope you have a great cruise!

Thanks. He's had it for his whole life. I knew it going into our relationship and then marriage. And I'm not giving him up over shellfish ;) :D

We dined in the Emerald Room every night on the Glory in June and it was spectacular (that was because the Glory couldn't accommodate his mobility device in the MDR - yeah, that Maitre D' was a winner :rolleyes:).

Good thing he LOVES the steakhouse! :D

Thanks again and I hope your cruises are fantastic too!

I cannot believe how obsessed (and upset) people get about the freakin' food on a cruise ship!! On & on for days on end. Wow.... :rolleyes:

Back when I first joined this crazy place, the CCL boards were absolutely packed with iron debates.

no lie

This is far more interesting. :p

Thanks. He's had it for his whole life. I knew it going into our relationship and then marriage. And I'm not giving him up over shellfish

We dined in the Emerald Room every night on the Glory in June and it was spectacular (that was because the Glory couldn't accommodate his mobility device in the MDR - yeah, that Maitre D' was a winner ).

Good thing he LOVES the steakhouse!

Thanks again and I hope your cruises are fantastic too!

Thank you :)

Geeeze Carnival. It used to the "Formal Dining Room", then the downgrade and removal of a course at it became the "Main Dining Room" often referred to as "MDR". Now, another downgrade with menu items like hamburgers, fried chicken, and meatloaf (aka - all the leftover meat) and a menu itself which looks like it came from a corner diner. I fully expect it to be laminated with mazes and puzzles on the back side to use your crayons on while you also use it as a place mat.

Bottom line reality is they will keep downgrading until we all stop sailing. That seems to be their business model. I wish they would just raise the cruise price and quit cutting (I'm in the minority on here, I realize this).

What's next, a "Whale Tail Napkin Dispenser" in the center of the table?

Do you only cruise for the MDR experience?

There are way too many other great factors besides the MDR menu!

Many people love the new menu, myself included.

Just off the Miracle and personally loved the new menu ... yes I had the meatloaf (thought it was great), had the fried chicken (twice) and the pot roast (great as well). I am not a "foodie" but hate eating on the Lido deck...love the MDR experience. This was my 17th CCL cruise and I thought that the food was on par with the rest of my cruises (minus the food on our Freedom cruise which was pretty bad...yuck!). My DH loves the shrimp cocktail...I hate seafood, so other than when we go out to eat and cruising it's the only time he gets it...so he missed having it every night...

yup!

wonder if carnival is as shocked.

hope so!

Why should they be shocked that a few outspoken people don't like the changes? From what I have seen there are just as many if not more that don't mind the change and/or like the changes even more over the old menu. They can't please everyone. They know that. What they can do is focus on target markets which is what they are doing. The few that are complaining are obviously not whom they are targeting. Time will tell them if they are focusing on the right markets or not. Money talks. People just need to repond by purchasing their product if they like it or going elsewhere if they don't. A few complainers on a cruise critic board....:rolleyes:

Why should they be shocked that a few outspoken people don't like the changes? From what I have seen there are just as many if not more that don't mind the change and/or like the changes even more over the old menu. They can't please everyone. They know that. What they can do is focus on target markets which is what they are doing. The few that are complaining are obviously not whom they are targeting. Time will tell them if they are focusing on the right markets or not. Money talks. People just need to repond by purchasing their product if they like it or going elsewhere if they don't. A few complainers on a cruise critic board....:rolleyes:

I'm not so sure about that. Especially if you are talking about Carnival loyalists..........same cruiseline, same ports, same entertainment, same menu, samo samo....these people just can't stand change:p And they seem to be the majority on this board.

I'm not so sure about that. Especially if you are talking about Carnival loyalists..........same cruiseline, same ports, same entertainment, same menu, samo samo....these people just can't stand change:p And they seem to be the majority on this board.

I don't think they are majority....I think they are a very outspoken minority:D. Carnival is focusing on the people who want to have fun on a budget. The old school loyalist want to have fun the way it use to be and raise the price if you have to. Carnival is not targeting this group so they are complaining. Fortunately for Carnival, their target group is also responding with praise for the changes. Time will tell who will put their money where there mouth (or keyboard) is:D.

Not the majority...just the most vocal. The old customer service adage that one unhappy customer will tell everyone they know, but a happy customer most often shares it with no one.

I don't think they are majority....I think they are a very outspoken minority:D. Carnival is focusing on the people who want to have fun on a budget. The old school loyalist want to have fun the way it use to be and raise the price if you have to. Carnival is not targeting this group so they are complaining. Fortunately for Carnival, their target group is also responding with praise for the changes. Time will tell who will put their money where there mouth (or keyboard) is:D.

Not the majority...just the most vocal. The old customer service adage that one unhappy customer will tell everyone they know, but a happy customer most often shares it with no one.

I disagree! You have your "cruise loyalists" and then you have your "brand loyalists" Cruise loyalists don't threaten to cruise another line when a change happens:rolleyes: Cruise loyalists sail different lines because the want change.........brand loyalists can't stand change.......no brainer......

All mass market cruislines target people who want to have fun without spending alot of money.

I disagree! You have your "cruise loyalists" and then you have your "brand loyalists" Cruise loyalists don't threaten to cruise another line when a change happens:rolleyes: Cruise loyalists sail different lines because the want change.........brand loyalists can't stand change.......no brainer......

All mass market cruislines target people who want to have fun without spending alot of money.

I was just saying that I don't believe the people going crazy about shrimp cocktail, menu graphics and meatloaf represent the majority of CC members. I think most CC members think the outrage is comical.

Archived