Complaining about new menus??

Rhitson88

So many people are complaining about the new menus containing more of a casual feel. Excuse me, but weren't cruise passengers asking for this when they wanted more of a "casual" feel in the dining room. When I first started cruising as a little kid with my parents, the MDR strictly enforced a dress code consisting of formal clothing especially on "formal" nights. Now they let passengers slack off on "elegant" nights and just get by with nice pants and a polo. So you brought these changes amongst yourself fellow passengers. Not all of us obviously, as I actually enjoy dressing up on the cruise and eating fancy food because I don't do it when at home. But, correct me if I am wrong or let me know if you agree. I am sure people will disagree with me as this is a touchy subject. Just thought I would speak on it as I see alot of threads being started regarding the new casualness of the menus.

I totally agree. The whole idea of the main dining room on Carnival in my opinion has been ruined! Isn't that why they have the buffet? Wear your jeans and t shirts and eat your pork roast up there.

Also one another reason we stick with Princess, people there still value dressing up which I feel is part of the cruise experience.

I totally agree. The whole idea of the main dining room on Carnival in my opinion has been ruined! Isn't that why they have the buffet? Wear your jeans and t shirts and eat your pork roast up there.

Also one another reason we stick with Princess, people there still value dressing up which I feel is part of the cruise experience.

Ruined? Carnival's goal isn't to be Princess. That's Princess' goal. Princess' other goal is to try and be as successful as Carnival.

Ruined? Carnival's goal isn't to be Princess. That's Princess' goal. Princess' other goal is to try and be as successful as Carnival.

No Princess goal is to make Princess as successfull as possible not to copy Carnival. Hense same owner.They have a target customer that does not need tweaking;)

So many people are complaining about the new menus containing more of a casual feel. Excuse me, but weren't cruise passengers asking for this when they wanted more of a "casual" feel in the dining room. When I first started cruising as a little kid with my parents, the MDR strictly enforced a dress code consisting of formal clothing especially on "formal" nights. Now they let passengers slack off on "elegant" nights and just get by with nice pants and a polo. So you brought these changes amongst yourself fellow passengers. Not all of us obviously, as I actually enjoy dressing up on the cruise and eating fancy food because I don't do it when at home. But, correct me if I am wrong or let me know if you agree. I am sure people will disagree with me as this is a touchy subject. Just thought I would speak on it as I see alot of threads being started regarding the new casualness of the menus.

I love the new casual menus, hey if you don't like it go to the more formal lido. Take your shrimp cocktail and your cigs onto your balcony.;)

Ruined, yes. Because when you used to think eating in the MDR it used to be dressing up and getting all nice for the 7 days you are on the cruise. Why do you think they make the dining room sparkle?? So they can serve hamburgers and allow passengers to wear jeans?? I think not, but they are to scared to lose passengers so might as well give em what they want. But like me, alot of other passengers would prefer the dress code and MENU to remain something not like you get at home on a regular basis. You don't pay $600 pp to do what you do at home do you?? Certainly not me. And maybe Carnival's goal should be to be more like Princess and Royal Carribbean. I love Carnival and am pretty loyal but have you ever spoken to a loyal Princess cruiser??? NOTHING could make them leave, and why do you think?? And as much as people complaining because of the threads regarding the menus, get over it. Its the hot topic, simple as that! It obviously will pass.

I don't really see the connection between dress and menu.

Here in San Diego one can go into most high end restaurants, dressed anyway one wants. The menus can still be interesting and more than "comfort" food alone.

I don't imagine anyone in San Diego has ever been accused of being fashion conscious!

alot of people, especially the younger crowd does not like the fancy items on the menu. They want to maybe try it, but NOT have it as there only choice. There are so many people now that head to the buffet because they were not excited about the menu. I think it is a good idea to have some REGULAR choices for those people. All the regualr fancy stuff is still there.....so why complain about the added items? Doesn't make any sense to me.

Ruined, yes. Because when you used to think eating in the MDR it used to be dressing up and getting all nice for the 7 days you are on the cruise. Why do you think they make the dining room sparkle?? So they can serve hamburgers and allow passengers to wear jeans?? I think not, but they are to scared to lose passengers so might as well give em what they want. But like me, alot of other passengers would prefer the dress code and MENU to remain something not like you get at home on a regular basis. You don't pay $600 pp to do what you do at home do you?? Certainly not me. And maybe Carnival's goal should be to be more like Princess and Royal Carribbean. I love Carnival and am pretty loyal but have you ever spoken to a loyal Princess cruiser??? NOTHING could make them leave, and why do you think?? And as much as people complaining because of the threads regarding the menus, get over it. Its the hot topic, simple as that! It obviously will pass.

The word "loyal" is so overated. I cruise on all three of the lines you mentioned and all three are becoming more casual. It has been several years now that Princess has allowed jeans in their dining room on casual nights(remember the sign they use to have at the door? Gone) RCCL has allowed jeans for years and now allow shorts although they don't have it listed on their dress code. This has nothing to do with the cruiselines being scared. It is all about business. Back in the day the dining room was called "The Formal Dining Room" It is now called "The Main Dining Room". However I do agree with you when you say "Get over it".:D And don't mean to burst your bubble but french fries have been on the menu for a while now......so it makes sense to add burgers to it......

I dont get to cruise much, but it is nice to see people who do dress up. As far as the menus go, well at least my meal is included in the price. I agree with some on elegant night dont serve the messy foods as people who do dress up dont want to ruin the clothes. I dont dress fancy, as I dont do many things that require me to do so. I do dress appropriatly. If I have a skirt and blouse I will wear it. I just dont own cocktail dresses. Not putting anyone down. I guess some people like comfort food and some want more fancy food. At least I get many choices.

alot of people, especially the younger crowd does not like the fancy items on the menu. They want to maybe try it, but NOT have it as there only choice. There are so many people now that head to the buffet because they were not excited about the menu. I think it is a good idea to have some REGULAR choices for those people. All the regualr fancy stuff is still there.....so why complain about the added items? Doesn't make any sense to me.

I am 23 years old and my wife is turning 24. And we hate that Carnival isn't as strict with their policy as other ships. I know there are other lines so don't even say "well cruise with someone else". We like Carnival's child programs for our 4 yr old. And there are other choices, the buffet always has a dinner in there where you can wear and eat anything. Just saying. Now they are trying to bring the buffet into the MDR to keep those people from eating elsewhere.

The word "loyal" is so overated. I cruise on all three of the lines you mentioned and all three are becoming more casual. It has been several years now that Princess has allowed jeans in their dining room on casual nights(remember the sign they use to have at the door? Gone) RCCL has allowed jeans for years and now allow shorts although they don't have it listed on their dress code. This has nothing to do with the cruiselines being scared. It is all about business. Back in the day the dining room was called "The Formal Dining Room" It is now called "The Main Dining Room". However I do agree with you when you say "Get over it".:D And don't mean to burst your bubble but french fries have been on the menu for a while now......so it makes sense to add burgers to it......

I thought Princess was getting away from that, but don't be fooled. I sailed the Emerald Princess and I saw them ask on 2 occasions that someone leave the dining room to wear something more appropriate and that they would be served at the late seating. I know this because they were seated like 3 tables away from us. Jeans, t shirt, and tennis shoes is what 1 of the people were wearing. Don't remember what the other person was wearing though.

I thought Princess was getting away from that, but don't be fooled. I sailed the Emerald Princess and I saw them ask on 2 occasions that someone leave the dining room to wear something more appropriate and that they would be served at the late seating. I know this because they were seated like 3 tables away from us. Jeans, t shirt, and tennis shoes is what 1 of the people were wearing. Don't remember what the other person was wearing though.

We never had a problem....although we dress our jeans up with nice shirts and tops......maybe it was the t shirt? Will be doing the same in a few months.

No Princess goal is to make Princess as successfull as possible not to copy Carnival. Hense same owner.They have a target customer that does not need tweaking;)

You misread my post - I think we agree, but splitting hairs. I didn't suggest Princess should copy Carnival - just that their goal is to own the largest share of their target cruiser...as Carnival does. I was responding to a poster who preferred Princess because he or she felt Carnival no longer measured up.

I don't agree at all.

You want fancy with lots of dress codes, try Celebrity or any one of a number of older crowd, dress code, fancy dining cruise lines.

Please leave Carnival to the rest of us.

By the way the good food is good food, comfort or fancy.

Just speaking for me...:o... I LOVE dressing up on Elegant nights. I never get to doll up in my regular life, so it's a real treat for me. :). Regardless of the new menus I'll be happy. But, just as an aside, I will personally miss the stuffed quail. It's all good! I love cruising & I LOVE cruising with Carnival.

Just speaking for me...:o... I LOVE dressing up on Elegant nights. I never get to doll up in my regular life, so it's a real treat for me. :). Regardless of the new menus I'll be happy. But, just as an aside, I will personally miss the stuffed quail. It's all good! I love cruising & I LOVE cruising with Carnival.

Nice to read a post with a positive attitude. That's really all it takes to have a great cruise. People have gotten so uptight on the menu changes. The ironic thing is that the stuffed quail (it was good - I agree) probably replaced someone else's favorite item when it was introduced. All restaurants add and subtract menu items. All of them.

I have to disagree with the OP for few reasons:

1- just like a person said on this post somewhere even fine restaurants in San Diego people dress "smart casual", this also applies to many other fine areas where there is fine dining, one does not have to dress up to get quality food.

2- I have certainly dressed down drastically, if Carnival can cut its quality of beef (from NY strip to sirloin now flat iron, and their prime rib is now just three small thin slices of beef unlike a hole prime rib on a plate) then I cutting down on how I dress. They recently now added meatloaf and fried chicken and beef stroganoff so now to me a tank top and shorts be sufficient lol

Its ok Carnival lost our business three cruises ago.....to each their own, I stick with better quality and stay away from cheaper value stuff.

Archived