Just off The Spirit...Any questions?

20SomethingJeff

Thanks Jeff -

Just read your review - Very well done.

We are sailing her in December (being from Idaho, a good vaca somewhere tropical in December after the snow and frigid air hits is the ONLY time to go!)

1. After the ship made its way out of NO, did you sit and watch, or explore, or what? Did the ship rock a lot going around the bend(s)? I realize in December, it will probably be dark shortly after we depart, but again, being from Idaho, the mighty Mississippi will be a treat for us.

2. You brought your own snorkel gear. Was that fins and all? Im assuming you had a container of some sort to pack it in (not carry on luggage?)

3. Were you privy to the "new menu" in the dining room? It was posted here a couple days ago and looked pretty limiting?? Bummer.

4. Sand Fleas in roatan? We didnt notice anything until the second morning after Roatan. Im told they are worse at times than others... I figure if you are in the water, who cares!

We are in a balcony clear in the back of the ship (not aft) - same deck. No questions there - just praying for a tv upgrade during dry dock. DH and I avoid the pools - enjoy our balcony for sun and (espn)

We had a miserable time in CM a couple years ago - but unfortunately, we are going back. We are going to do a fly fishing deal, though. Yes, it takes us in to Majahaul again, but we will be with a group and doing something fun.

Glad you had a good time - my favorite stop was Belize - but I have been here a few times; knew what to eat, where to go. Now looking at real estate.... (retirement baby!)

Thanks again!

1. After the ship made its way out of NO, did you sit and watch, or explore, or what? Did the ship rock a lot going around the bend(s)? I realize in December, it will probably be dark shortly after we depart, but again, being from Idaho, the mighty Mississippi will be a treat for us.

The ship did rock some making the turns. It was a brand new experience for us so we thought it was cool. What is kind of funny is the last night when you do it after you are in bed, or at least we were.

2. You brought your own snorkel gear. Was that fins and all? Im assuming you had a container of some sort to pack it in (not carry on luggage?)

We just packed it in our checked lugfage, fins and all.

3. Were you privy to the "new menu" in the dining room? It was posted here a couple days ago and looked pretty limiting?? Bummer.

I was not aware of a menu change, but the selections were ok. The biggest disapointment to us were the desserts.

4. Sand Fleas in roatan? We didnt notice anything until the second morning after Roatan. Im told they are worse at times than others... I figure if you are in the water, who cares!

I had not heard of these but a bunch in our group were covered in bites. My wife is still itchy so maybe that is what it is.

Thanks Jeff -

Just read your review - Very well done.

We are sailing her in December (being from Idaho, a good vaca somewhere tropical in December after the snow and frigid air hits is the ONLY time to go!)

We are in a balcony clear in the back of the ship (not aft) - same deck. No questions there - just praying for a tv upgrade during dry dock. DH and I avoid the pools - enjoy our balcony for sun and (espn)

We had a miserable time in CM a couple years ago - but unfortunately, we are going back. We are going to do a fly fishing deal, though. Yes, it takes us in to Majahaul again, but we will be with a group and doing something fun.

Glad you had a good time - my favorite stop was Belize - but I have been here a few times; knew what to eat, where to go. Now looking at real estate.... (retirement baby!)

Thanks again!

Just got off the Spirit too, at the end of July. Had a great trip! A few answers to some of your questions, if I can jump in here:

1. Watching as you move down the Mississippi is great, although it will be more in the dark for you in December. Passing other ships going up and down river, even at night, is interesting. There's almost no perceptible movement as you go around the bends; you might just notice a slight lean to the deck beneath you.

The river bends so much that if it's light out, you'll notice there's at least one time when the bow of the ship is actually pointed back at New Orleans!

On your return to the Mississippi, if you're watching around 11 or 11:30 as you enter the mouth of the river, you may see the Carnival ship coming out.

2. I also brought my own snorkel gear; it does have it's own carry bag but I managed to pack the whole thing in my suitcase anyway. Helps that I'm a light packer.

3. Menus hadn't changed on our cruise, so I can't comment on that.

4. Sand Fleas in Roatan: They may be seasonal, but they also seem more attracted to some people than others. We have been there twice, at different times of the year, and never had any problems. My son-in-law (who went with us on the July cruise) got bitten pretty badly though. Best bet is to take some insect repellent and use it!

Couldn't agree with you more about Costa Maya. Not that it's miserable, just that we've been there so much that it's like Nassau; we don't even get off the ship anymore.

The snorkeling at the reef in Belize was amazing. This time I used an NCL excursion as it was our first trip there, but next time I'll probably do a local vendor to have more time in the water.

Enjoy your cruise!

Archived