Good but inexpensive underwater camera?

I will be going to the Caribbean for the first time next year and wonder if I should get a waterproof case for my digital camera or if there is a decent but inexpensive underwater camera that anyone would recommend. I don't want to spend s ton but I do want good underwater pictures. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks so much!!

A good waterproof case is almost always going to outperform an underwater camera, as long as it isn't one of those plastic baggie kinds of "cases".

For one, the waterproof case will likely have a greater depth rating, and you can have your choice of cameras (as long as there is a case available for it).

The downside to a case is portability and convenience.

I used to have a FantaSea case, and it was just too bulky to carry around as an everyday item, so I sold it and bought an Olympus 8010. The case had a 200 meter depth, but I only go to snorkel depths, so the 33ft depth rating of the Olympus was enough for me.

Whatever you get, realize that you have to shift the color balance to the red for the best photos. My Olympus has an underwater color balance setting, the case had a screw-on red filter.

And you could do it in photoshop.

Thanks. I didn't want to spend a lot since I don't know how often I will use an underwater camera after this trip. It looks a lot cheaper for just a case but I did not know how well the pictures would come out. So it is good to hear from people that have experience.

We used disposable underwater cameras and they were fine. Maybe not what you are looking for, but for the price, it was better than I hoped for. Our photos captured the experience! They were great to have around water as well, or take on the beach when you might be away from your belongings. If it gets stolen, no huge loss.

Price, quality, convenience, value, decisions decisions decisions.

Many years ago I went with the cheap film based with plastic case. I think the camera ran 30 bucks, and than what 5 bucks or so for the standard 35mm film and another 5 bucks or so for costco developing and than a few more dollars for conversion to digital disc. I'd rate the quality here as poor, but more than good enough to capture memories.

Or you go with the aquapack like device that fits most P&S, easy, just a few bucks, care required or might leak. I'd put the quality into the fair category with YMMV.

Than you got the new generation of cameras ( latest review here:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q311waterproofcompactgrouptest/ ) everything from about 200 bucks to 400 bucks or so. If your P&S is 3-4 years old almost any of these will likely match your current camera and give you the flexibility of going underwater. I'd put these at the fair for undewater. In anything but the best lighting shooting underwater is a challenge. I recently picked up the Fuji from costco, for under 200 bucks fair underwater, fair above, but for 175 bucks pretty good :D

I will be going to the Caribbean for the first time next year and wonder if I should get a waterproof case for my digital camera or if there is a decent but inexpensive underwater camera that anyone would recommend. I don't want to spend s ton but I do want good underwater pictures. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks so much!!

Thanks. I want something better than the cheap disposable underwater cameras, but really don't want to spend more than $200. I know in order to get great quality underwater photos I would need to spend a lot more, but I want at least some decent photos. I will have to do some research and will have to search for some examples of photos taken with different types of cameras. If anyone has some examples to post that would be great. Thanks!!

I just bought this camera for our next cruise. Great price and has good reviews for the price.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS10 14.1 MP Digital Camera with 4x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 2.7-Inch LCD (Blue)

On Amazon for $165.00 also check Ebay bought for $150.00

see this site for a review

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1007/10072103panasonicdmcts10.asp

Tom :)

I bought an Olympus Stylus Tough 6020 for around $170 with the taxes on Amazon. It's 14MP with a 5x Optical Zoom. (purchased early July 2011 for a trip to Jamaica).

I've used it in the water and out of the water...my pics look great. I didn't test it under the water...so I can't tell you if the underwater pics look good, but I can tell you to make sure you get the water drops off the lens before taking a picture...they will show up. I'll post a picture in the water and one taken out of the water. (The picture with the group of 4 was taken on land; the other picture was taken in the water, but it was above water).

Oh...and I have the Kodak PlaySport...and although it's a video camera, it does take pictures and they look awesome. I bought mine for $150 a year or 2 ago...so I'm sure the price has fallen by now.

P7280022.jpg.ecbb10eb720503824933c141ba993035.jpg

P7280031.jpg.649c7c3b4c47af9e8eb3b702d6013c63.jpg

Has anyone played with the Kodak Easyshare Sport C123 12 MP Waterproof Digital Camera with 2.4-Inch LCD? It's $59.95 on Amazon. I'm pondering it, as it's higher MP than our current camera anyway. Any thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived