Entertainment Rotation.

TravellerNo1

Having enjoyed both Azamara vessels recently, I was wondering if there is a set time period for changing of entertainment team? While one never tires of the standards set by assets such as Heike and her team in the hotel areas and service areas, the Entertainment aspect is very much different. Having just returned from a ten day voyage on Journey I would not wish to repeat some of the entertainment on my next Azamara voyage.

The guest acts were very good including a great comedy magician and a stylish Jewish American comedian. The workload and therefore extra visibility of the cruise director and some of the team left me feeling that they suffered from a little over exposure, to the extent that I would not book another until the 'team' changes. This is not to imply any criticism, overall I enjoyed my cruise with Journey, and in particular there was a light operatic performance from a talented young lady on the 'team' which matched the guest acts.

So I would be interested if Host Andy might enlighten us as to policy and if there is any policy of continuous change or do the same entertainers keep returning? (based on feedback?).

For me it would be very informative to be aware of scheduled entertainment if it feasible, perhaps via these boards.

Having got off Quest about a month ago I can tell you that the new Cruise Director onboard for our cruise was absolutely excellent.

His name is Kirk Detweiler and he has come to Azamara from Royal Caribbean. He was visible all over the ship, stopped to chat with everyone and joined in with everything. He is a really nice guy and a very talented singer.....and as I can personally vouch, also a great dancer. He intends to revamp the entertainment program and I'm sure this will improve due to his enthusiasm and talent. I heard lots of praise for him from other passengers.

I would never have thought that I would be someone who would choose a particular cruise because of the Cruise Director......but in Kirk's case I most certainly would. :)

Having enjoyed both Azamara vessels recently, I was wondering if there is a set time period for changing of entertainment team? While one never tires of the standards set by assets such as Heike and her team in the hotel areas and service areas, the Entertainment aspect is very much different. Having just returned from a ten day voyage on Journey I would not wish to repeat some of the entertainment on my next Azamara voyage.

The guest acts were very good including a great comedy magician and a stylish Jewish American comedian. The workload and therefore extra visibility of the cruise director and some of the team left me feeling that they suffered from a little over exposure, to the extent that I would not book another until the 'team' changes. This is not to imply any criticism, overall I enjoyed my cruise with Journey, and in particular there was a light operatic performance from a talented young lady on the 'team' which matched the guest acts.

So I would be interested if Host Andy might enlighten us as to policy and if there is any policy of continuous change or do the same entertainers keep returning? (based on feedback?).

For me it would be very informative to be aware of scheduled entertainment if it feasible, perhaps via these boards.

Hi Traveller !

Great questions. Im working on getting information for you. As for Azamara posting entertainment information, I made this suggestion not too long ago. I was advised it's not an optimum idea, as there can be last minute changes, and I would not want anyone to be disappointed.

Azamara welcomes our questions, and I'm able to find out items such as Captain, Hotel Director & Cruise Director for a particular sailing. When posting these types of questions, the best plan is to ask a few weeks prior to your Cruise.

When I can share further details about entertainment, I will post it here.

Having got off Quest about a month ago I can tell you that the new Cruise Director onboard for our cruise was absolutely excellent.

His name is Kirk Detweiler and he has come to Azamara from Royal Caribbean. He was visible all over the ship, stopped to chat with everyone and joined in with everything. He is a really nice guy and a very talented singer.....and as I can personally vouch, also a great dancer. He intends to revamp the entertainment program and I'm sure this will improve due to his enthusiasm and talent. I heard lots of praise for him from other passengers.

I would never have thought that I would be someone who would choose a particular cruise because of the Cruise Director......but in Kirk's case I most certainly would. :)

Hi Lottie !

Thanks for your insights. I've been very curious to hear feedback about Mr Detweiler from recent guests. Most of the comments on the RCL forum have been very positive. I'm glad you enjoyed sailing with him, and I hope to meet Kirk on a future Azamara sailing.

Thank you Andy and Lottie A for responding.

I too disembarked Quest just over a month ago Lottie, and I cannot recall the Cruise Director's name but felt that the balance for the clientele aboard was just about perfect. It was a little unusual to hear so many positive comments about the team entertainment and my recollections match yours.

It will be interesting to hear of the entertainment schedule and I'm sure that the well traveled Azamara clubbers will fully understand that the program may be subject to changes.

Thanks again Andy for taking the time to respond.

Hi Traveller !

Following up on your question, here's what I've learned: Guest entertainers are typically onboard for 2 sailings, joining the ship Mid-Cruise.

As for Onboard staff, the Hotel Director & Cruise Director are 4 months on, 2 months off. Activity Staff are generally 6 months on, 2-3 months off. Captains are 3 months on, 3 months off. Keep in mind that schedules can change.

I hope this helps !

Hi Lottie !

Thanks for your insights. I've been very curious to hear feedback about Mr Detweiler from recent guests. Most of the comments on the RCL forum have been very positive. I'm glad you enjoyed sailing with him, and I hope to meet Kirk on a future Azamara sailing.

Is Kirk scheduled to be onboard October 26? I know I asked this a few months ago, but now don't remember the response, only that Captain Carl Smith would be off :(

Is Kirk scheduled to be onboard October 26? I know I asked this a few months ago, but now don't remember the response, only that Captain Carl Smith would be off :(

Hi Jade !

I will find out for you. Stay Tuned !

Hi Jade,

I may be wrong but I think Kirk told me he was disembarking Quest for vacation time on October 15th, so I think you may miss him this time.

Such a shame - I'm sure you would have enjoyed him - he's a real breath of fresh air for an Azamara cruise director and I think he may liven things up a lot entertainment wise. I am thinking about booking a late deal for October 8th and I hope he will still be on Quest for that date.

Not a hundred per cent sure but I think Tony Markey is scheduled to be the CD on your cruise.

Hi Jade,

Captain Carl Smith is scheduled to be the Master for the 10/26/11 Quest sailing. Tony Markey is scheduled to be your Cruise Director. I hope you have a wonderful Cruise !

Why not post an Entertainment program at the top of the board.

Azamara is a very good product and can be even better if the entertainment matched the rest of the offer. I have not enjoyed Kirk Detweiler as CD as yet so cannot comment. But entertainment is one area that can be improved upon.

A move away from 80's style CD presentation and a revamp/renewal/upgrade as Lottie A implies would suit AZ passengers. Sophisticated passengers require less forced O.T.T. 70's 80's flamboyance in presentation and have moved with the times which is why they have remained successful and book AZ, Crystal etc.

Maybe a bulletin of Cruise Director/Entertainment programs be useful as a sticky Andy. I understand entertainment is a matter of personal taste, but this is my opinion, and I am an AZ fan and I think value can be added in this area. If any premier cruise-line gets a great rep for entertainment.... wow.

Best Regards

Sue

Why not post an Entertainment program at the top of the board.

Azamara is a very good product and can be even better if the entertainment matched the rest of the offer. I have not enjoyed Kirk Detweiler as CD as yet so cannot comment. But entertainment is one area that can be improved upon.

A move away from 80's style CD presentation and a revamp/renewal/upgrade as Lottie A implies would suit AZ passengers. Sophisticated passengers require less forced O.T.T. 70's 80's flamboyance in presentation and have moved with the times which is why they have remained successful and book AZ, Crystal etc.

Maybe a bulletin of Cruise Director/Entertainment programs be useful as a sticky Andy. I understand entertainment is a matter of personal taste, but this is my opinion, and I am an AZ fan and I think value can be added in this area. If any premier cruise-line gets a great rep for entertainment.... wow.

Best Regards

Sue

Hi Sue,

Thanks for your comments. Azamara welcomes our feedback - far more than other Cruise lines. As mentioned earlier in this thread, I made the suggestion not too long ago, and they felt it wasn't optimum, as entertainers can change on short notice.

If we take a step back and think about it... their decision makes sense, as we do not wish to create any disappointment if one of your favorite entertainers were not to be onboard due to unforseen circumstances.

Please keep in mind, that many Guests have inquired about various items for their sailings, and Azamara has always been gracious in responding. It may not be what some of us hope for... but it works !

Perhaps Azamara will reconsider it in the future. Thanks for understanding.

Hi Jade,

Captain Carl Smith is scheduled to be the Master for the 10/26/11 Quest sailing. Tony Markey is scheduled to be your Cruise Director. I hope you have a wonderful Cruise !

Hi Andy,

Great, and thanks!

Hi Jade,

Andy, as you're so gracious to find out these things for us... can you also tell who will be the captain, cruise director and hotel director on the following cruise - that's the 6th of November 2011?

TIA

Miriam

Hi Jade !

I received word that Captain Leif Karlsson will be the Master of Quest for the 10/26 sailing. I realize we've been back and forth on this, but that's the latest information.

As I've mentioned previously, schedules can always change, especially on Azamara since the line is small and sometimes Captains find they have to make unexpected adjustments to the original schedule. Sorry for any confusion !

Andy

Belated thanks for your response and the rotation cycles on Azamara. It is interesting to understand the basic model of the operation. I am now an Azamara convert but still enjoy other lines. I also will certainly take up your offer of ascertaining the key personnel program in the future.

Best Regards :)

Any word on who is the captain on the Nov. 6 cruise? We are doing a b2b and Andy posted that we will have Capt. Leif Karlsson on the Oct. 26 cruise. Will he be staying on for the Nov. 6 cruise as well???

Will we see much of a change in entertainment? I noticed your message below that entertainers are on for 2 sailings!

Hi Jade,

Not a hundred per cent sure but I think Tony Markey is scheduled to be the CD on your cruise.

You're correct Lottie.

Tony Markey will be the CD for that cruise. He was on the Carribean cruise that we took in March and he stated that he would be on the 26th Oct. cruise. This was confirmed too by Russ Grieve (he put on a very commendable one man show) the CD on the Quest that we left on Sat 3rd Sept.

Richard replaces Philip Herbert as Hotel Director.

Carl Smith will be replaced before the Holy Land cruise by Capt. Leif Karlsson

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Incidentally Andy, Capt. Carl Smith was playing his hand close to his chest in respect of the 2013 cruise program and was most surprised when we revealed that Cruise Critic was already aware of some of the destinations!

Joecors....if the excellent Russ was the cruise director on Quest for your September cruise does that mean that Kirk Detweiler has been moved or is on vacation? I understood that Kirk was due to be CD on Quest until mid October with Carl Smith as Captain.

Although I do enjoy the talented Russ Grieve as a CD, I hope Kirk will still be CD for my October 8th Quest cruise....I think he will put in some much needed innovation and changes to Azamara's entertainment programme.

Andy....I know we all keep asking you these questions but we are grateful for your help. Would you mind checking again for us? Thanks so much.

Joecors....if the excellent Russ was the cruise director on Quest for your September cruise does that mean that Kirk Detweiler has been moved or is on vacation? I understood that Kirk was due to be CD on Quest until mid October with Carl Smith as Captain.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's a $64,000 question leading to a Sherlock Holmes mystery. Seems that Russ appeared on the ship on maybe the cruise before ours (that would be 27th August) but he will definitely be replaced by Tony Markey for the Quest 26th Oct cruise. Thia would not be within the normal 3 months term that has been quoted on this thread. What's more I got the impression that Russ's appearnce was not a long term planned one.

Maybe someone else could help with that one.

Perhaps it would really help here, if there was a 'sticky' on this board, that lists all the cruises & is updated with their captains & other key staff as & when Host Andy kindly finds out who they are - not that I know any of these people as I've yet to try out my first Azamara cruise!

But I am looking forward to getting to meet some of the Ship's Officers as I felt that this was an area that was lacking on my Celebrity Cruise. It felt very impersonal compared to my previous one on Fred Olsen.

Archived