QV dress code

5minutewonder

Younger ladies tend to wear full length dresses and gowns whilst older ladies of a certain age seem to wear cocktail dresses every night. Both are acceptable.

"older ladies of a certain age"

love that description!!!!!!

not sure if i qualify for that certain age or not...:rolleyes:

my big problem isn't clothing of which i have a closet full of sufficiently elegant attire.

my problem is what to put on my feet. that "certain age", means creaking bones that do not go well with dress shoes of any kind.

In fact, the only shoes that get within a shoehorn of my feet are sports shoes of one kind or another, the main requirement being cushioning to preclude further damage to my already damaged knee.

So. evening gown with nikes? I don't think so.

i suppose i could hide in my room, but what's the fun in that?

Probably, I daresay they were getting around in polo-shirts etc.

I imagine that back in 2005 these boards were filled with people complaining about the casual dress-code and how they couldn't possibly fit all these collared shirts into a suitcase - 'they're on holidays' don't you know. I bet there were even a few that claimed not to own any collared shirts as 'they've retired'. :rolleyes:

I do not recall many such posts on CC in 2005. However, on the QE2 world cruise in 2005 I distinctly recall being seated at a table in QG with a self-appointed member of the "fashion police" who criticised the attire of the male passengers as they entered the restaurant and complained to the maitre d' if he thought someone was not holding up the designated dress code of the night. This was very embarrassing and I often bit my tongue as I was very tempted to tell him to "shut up".

I do not recall many such posts on CC in 2005. However, on the QE2 world cruise in 2005 I distinctly recall being seated at a table in QG with a self-appointed member of the "fashion police" who criticised the attire of the male passengers as they entered the restaurant and complained to the maitre d' if he thought someone was not holding up the designated dress code of the night. This was very embarrassing and I often bit my tongue as I was very tempted to tell him to "shut up".

Did you ever get into any fights on the QE2?

If you get a chance, check out K&G Mensmart off Rte 128( across from the Imax/Jordans store) A good complete tux can usually be had for under $100. They make their money from the alterations. We've bought ours, along with sport coats & other suits. We're from Nashua, by the way.

Really hate to get off the subject here, but then it always happens. Good to see someone from nashua. My grandparents lived there until the late 50's. I know it is a reach, but do you or any of your friends/acquaintances know or have heard of Bernard and Nell Gaffney. My brothers and sister are trying to recreate a family history, and will grasp any straw in the stream.

Thank you for any response.

I apologize for getting personal on this thread, perhaps you could email your response to: rianed4us@prtcnet.com Again, thank you for your time.

Did you ever get into any fights on the QE2?

Goodness, that is a surprising question. Do you mean fist-fights or just verbal sparring?

I do not remember fist-fights, but there was some bad behaviour on board. The centre of the verbal sparring was always the laundry (which I did not use - so only heard about the "fights" from other passengers).

The closest I got to a "fight" was in relation to the use of the sun loungers on the Boat Deck. I sat down on what I thought was a free lounger, but apparently a woman had left some belongings underneath and came back and started abusing me in very nasty tones. I am afraid to say it was a horrible Australian person with a very bad attitude problem. You were not supposed to "save" sun loungers, so she was in the wrong. The daily programme used to often have warnings against trying to "save" the sun loungers, but many people ignored the warnings. It is not such a problem on Cunard ships now as the majority of cabins have balconies. But it was a real problem on QE2.

Goodness, that is a surprising question. Do you mean fist-fights or just verbal sparring?

I do not remember fist-fights, but there was some bad behaviour on board. The centre of the verbal sparring was always the laundry (which I did not use - so only heard about the "fights" from other passengers).

The closest I got to a "fight" was in relation to the use of the sun loungers on the Boat Deck. I sat down on what I thought was a free lounger, but apparently a woman had left some belongings underneath and came back and started abusing me in very nasty tones. I am afraid to say it was a horrible Australian person with a very bad attitude problem. You were not supposed to "save" sun loungers, so she was in the wrong. The daily programme used to often have warnings against trying to "save" the sun loungers, but many people ignored the warnings. It is not such a problem on Cunard ships now as the majority of cabins have balconies. But it was a real problem on QE2.

I meant both verbal and physical fights. I imagine that with the amount of cruises you've taken, that at some point your luck would have run out and you'd have a run-in with some unpleasant person.

Hopefully my luck holds and I don't get involved in anything on my next voyage. The laundry seems to be the place where tempers fray, so I'll stick with getting my laundry done by Cunard.

Sorry to hear about your experience with the sun-lounger lady. I am always quite taken aback when people behave like that.

Speaking of the QE2, have you seen this video?

Amongst other things I was surprised to see that the crew was all British.

Speaking of the QE2, have you seen this video?

Amongst other things I was surprised to see that the crew was all British.

Thanks for that. I have seen the video before, but it did not have any sound, so it was nice to actually hear the commentary as well. It is really similar to what I remember of the QG restaurant. The staff were indeed European.

There is a mystery about these videos of the 1984 Whickers "World Cruise". In some of the videos you can clearly see the QE2 has a pebble grey hull, but I saw QE2 in Hong Kong in February 1984 on the 1984 world cruise and she had a black hull. Granted, I saw the hull being painted at that time, and it might have been in the process of the colour being changed back to black. However, at the end of the Whickers world show (which should be the end of the cruise) they still present QE2 with the pebble grey hull. I wonder what the explanation for this would be??

Added: I since did a little investigating on the internet and found the hull was changed back to the black in June 1983. It seems that the Whickers World programme was filmed during the 1983 World Cruise, although the video clips all say 1984.

Hopefully my luck holds and I don't get involved in anything on my next voyage. The laundry seems to be the place where tempers fray, so I'll stick with getting my laundry done by Cunard.

Good idea. But the problem is not so acute on the new Cunard ships as there are several self-service laundries. On QE2 there was only one self-service laundry.

The worst story I heard about QE2 and the laundry was that a lady stole an evening dress out of one of the washers and then proceeded to wear the dress to dinner one night. The owner of the stolen dress reported her to the captain and the thief was put ashore at the next port. The story does sound a bit far-fetched, but I heard it from several passengers, so it might be true.

Loiuse

I have heard that very same story - word for word - on every cruise ship that I have been on - eleven so far. It is not unlike most other "urban myths" - constantly perpetuated and most probably false, or perhaps having some small element of truth. You will notice that "ship laundry " stories that you hear about always start with the beginning "I heard that..." . I have never heard a ship's laundry story that started with "I personally witnessed...." :)

The greatest urban myths these days relate to the Internet. We all receive emails that have been forwarded on from friends who received it from other friends - warning about some dire virus. Before sending them on to your friends - do a bit of Googling - and you will see that most are bogus.

I like going to ship's laundries. As an ex-Military man, I learned early in life to do my own ironing. I have discovered that the women in the laundries find this amazing - and it is where I receive most of my proposals of marriage :D

Barry

Loiuse

I like going to ship's laundries. As an ex-Military man, I learned early in life to do my own ironing. I have discovered that the women in the laundries find this amazing - and it is where I receive most of my proposals of marriage :D

Barry

I am (almost) speechless :D.

But I agree with you about the dubious "laundry" stories. I do know that on the QE2 there were always a couple of women who spent most of their time in the laundry and tried to "rule the roost". I am not sure what the attraction of the laundry might have been for them, although, in light of your above comment, perhaps they were in search of a man??

If Woody Allen could wear tennis shoes with a tuxedo, then surely you can get away with similar footwear under a long skirt/dress... ;)

exactly what i did for my son's wedding....black trainers (i don't remember which brand) under my floor length dress :)

the most comfortable my feet have ever been at a formal affair!!

i suppose i could do that on the ship, although Louise's fashion police fellow cruiser would probably report me to the maitre d':rolleyes:

Alaska Planner

Since I do not know the inventory of your local sores , this may not be of help, however I am passing this on "just in case" you can get these

I am a senior, senior, and I wear Fisherman's sandals as evening shoes. These are quite "dressy" under a long dress, come in several colours ( I have Black, Navy, Pink for my Ascot pink dress, and Beige). They have about a 1 inch heel with a platform type sole. Mine have canvas strap sandal type uppers, and are light to wear.

Hope you can get these, as I am sure you would find them useful.

Lynn

It's kind of funny..I still have my brochure from 2005. It listed formal, semiformal & casual. Casual required nice slacks & collared shirt but no jacket. If anything, Cunard has upped the dresscodes. This might be because some took casual far too liberally.

In other ways Cunard has lowered the standards slightly. In 2009 for our QM2 crossing semi-formal (for men) was defined as "suit and tie" and since then it is now defined as "jacket and tie." Also, since the crossings went to seven nights there were, until this year, four formal and one semi-formal. For next year's crossings there will be only three formal and two semi-formal.

I am a novice cruiser and a woman who rarely does formal anything. How does one get all the formal wear onto the ship? I can't imagine scrunching my ball gowns and all those shoes (!) I want to bring into a suitcase.

I'm greatly enjoying all of your posts. I grew up in a house where my mother was very strict with us about table manners, proper dress, and so forth. In my adult life I have drifted away from that kind of living. I'm not sure I remember which fork is used for the shrimp cocktail!

As Kathy Bates said to Leonardo Dicaprio - "Just start from the outside and work your way in". :)

web.jpg?ver=13246299470001

web.jpg?ver=13169041140001

Hi, my up coming cruise on the the Queen Vicky will be my first cruise in many years with Cunard. I have been sailing with Royal and Ncl over the last years, which has a more relax approach to the dress code. However, I have always been over dressed on semi-formal and casual nights. On semi-formal nights I like to wear a cocktail dress and casual nights what I would wear a day dress, the type you wear on a lunch date. Which sometimes be a long maxi type dress. Would this be acceptable and hints and tips would gratefully received, as I really do not like to be talked about, Lady J

As Kathy Bates said to Leonardo Dicaprio - "Just start from the outside and work your way in". :)

web.jpg?ver=13246299470001

web.jpg?ver=13169041140001

Unfortunately Cunard no longer set out correctly laid tables, now you get a knife, a fork and a spoon, even dishes such as shrimp cocktail have been known to arrive minus the correct fork

and when I asked the waiter for a soup spoon he gave me a desert spoon!

Unfortunately Cunard no longer set out correctly laid tables, now you get a knife, a fork and a spoon, even dishes such as shrimp cocktail have been known to arrive minus the correct fork

and when I asked the waiter for a soup spoon he gave me a desert spoon!

I doubt I'd know the difference. After all, like most of us, I'm only a few generations removed from a time when it was a considerable accomplishment to have enough eating utensils to go around, much less a full matching set.

I doubt I'd know the difference. After all, like most of us, I'm only a few generations removed from a time when it was a considerable accomplishment to have enough eating utensils to go around, much less a full matching set.

:D Love it!! Personally, I am only one generation removed from that situation - and as for my children, they have reverted back to that situation :D

I think there are a lot of "dreamers" here - who really would like to be members of that dinner party as shown in the Titanic movie. Kate Winslet 's character had much more fun down in 3rd class.

Barry

:D Love it!! Personally, I am only one generation removed from that situation - and as for my children, they have reverted back to that situation :D

If your children really are without a cutlery set perhaps you can take the opportunity of next Christmas, or their birthdays, to purchase them a set as a gift.

I think there are a lot of "dreamers" here - who really would like to be members of that dinner party as shown in the Titanic movie. Kate Winslet 's character had much more fun down in 3rd class.

Barry

It would be a dream Barry, as that particular dinner party was fictional. Some of the characters are real, others are not.

Not a dreamer.

I grew up in a situation where even having food and a plate was an occasion, and yes I did on occasion just use my fingers, not waiting to look for a knife and fork in case the food vanished -however that is no reason why I should not now expect to have a correctly laid table on a line that boasts "White Glove service".

Once the "peasants" dressed in rags, and drank only water should I now forgo a cocktail and only wear rags instead of a dinner gown?

If your children really are without a cutlery set perhaps you can take the opportunity of next Christmas, or their birthdays, to purchase them a set as a gift.

Why???

It would be a dream Barry, as that particular dinner party was fictional. Some of the characters are real, others are not.

Don't tell me that - I thought it was all real

Barry

Archived