Just off the Quest - any questions?

Sonrisa7

I just returned from my first SB cruise, Quest Athens to Istanbul Aug 8-15, and all in all, we had a lovely time. I'll try to write a proper review if time permits, but if anyone has any specific questions from a newbie's point of view I'd be happy to answer. BTW, Luggage Forward service from home to ship was fantastic.

Sonrisa7,

Please tell me who the captain, hotel manager and cruise directors are and what particular restaurant, bar and other staff gave you memorable service.

We go on Quest in late Sept and hope to see those you identify.

Thank you!

We got our visas onboard from Seabourn - they charge $50/pp, but it was worth it - no worries, no fuss. Cruise Director was Bobby Broughton, Captain was Geir Arne Thue Nilsen. I don't know who the hotel manager was.

We ate at all restaurants (including room service). Personally, I thought the food was consistently good to very good, but I didn't find many dishes to be truly outstanding. Don't get me wrong - I enjoyed the meals very, very much, but nothing really knocked my socks off. Selection and quality were always good. I think that in general the meat dishes were better than the fish (but I live in Spain where fish and seafood are excellent and beef not so good). I was surprised that the menu in Restaurant 2 changed 2-3 times during our 7 day cruise. I love tasting menus, and our dinner there was a fun experience. Again, very good, just not outstanding. In case anyone is interested:

• Chef's cocktail: Crispy foie gras, port wine splash
  • Lobster roll, yogurt caviar sauce
  • Bacalaito fritter, avocado tomato salad
  • Seared panela salmon, white bean salsa, piquillo coulis
  • Shiraz braised oxtail presse, manchego potstickers
  • White asparagus vanilla cappuccino, mushroom toast
  • Drunken turbot, porcini and swiss chard, hazelnut vinaigrette
  • Tuscan braised veal, mascarpone mashed potato
  • Dark chocolate ganache, espresso citrus panna cotta, condensed milk ice
    cream

We really enjoyed dining at the Collonade - I think it was the most efficiently run restaurant (kudos to Maitre d', Michael from Germany and all the staff), and of course the main draw is the al fresco dining with spectacular sea and sunset views. My major gripe was that at lunch it closed promptly at 2pm, so if you go on an excursion you really have to hustle to make it back in time. We didn't make it on a couple of occasions and the only option left was the Patio Grill by the pool (MDR was never open for breakfast or lunch).

We are big wine drinkers and I thought the included selections were perfectly fine. If you don't like what they're pouring, they will always bring something else. All the alcohol flowed very freely throughout the ship, and it was impossible to have an empty glass anywhere.

Service was almost always outstanding (our stewardess was the sad exception, and I also found the MDR to be a tad slow at times). Although no crew member ever addressed me by name, everyone greeted us with smiles and were efficient, helpful and genuinely friendly. We were disappointed that the Captain and senior officers almost never mingled with guests. We tried, but never saw them.

Sonrisa,

Thank you for the list of officers on your recent Quest cruise.

I see that the senior officers were not especially sociable and that's a shame. My favorites officers, largely due to their visibility and charm are Mark Dexter, captain, Guenter as hotel manager, and either Barry Hopkins or Handre Potgeiter as cruise director. They were always around the passengers keeping an eye on things. I am also pleased that you mentioned Michael as maitre d'hotel. He too gives his all! They were a great team together on the winter 2011 Odyssey circumnavigation of South America.

Happy sailing!

Service was almost always outstanding (our stewardess was the sad exception, and I also found the MDR to be a tad slow at times).

Interesting comment. We were on the Quest maiden voyage which was excellent. But we felt our stewardess to be "weaker" than the ones we had on previous Seabourn cruises.

When we were on the Quest recently, the MDR was open for lunch. We ate there twice, but I do not know about breakfast.

I think that the decision for the Big Sisters was to close the MDR for breakfast and lunch on port days. They will always be open on the Little Sisters because the Veranda cannot accommodate all the cruisers for a meal, especially in inclement weather.

The main dinning room not being open for lunch on port days is more or less OK with us. However, I really will have to rethink our cruise of 30 plus days on Sojourn's Baltic and Viking next Fall if the MDR isn't open for breakfast on port days. There are a lot of port days on that cruise. We are past the hopping off the ship on early shore tours as we have been to most of the ports already. We like a nice sit down hot breakfast with full service in the morning. After that bit of special vacation luxury we do what ever. That is a big part of luxury cruising to us.

My husband hates eating in the room and I never know what I want for breakfast the night before so room service is out; neither of us like to have to line up for eggs and stuff or get our own tea/coffee and hassle the crowd for a table. So whatever upper deck buffet service seems a very poor excuse on a luxury line. We can do that at home for a lot less money. Do they offer any type of seated breakfast service on the big sisters?

This is whole idea is very dissappointing to hear...we loved our wonderful service on our two little sister cruises and were very excited about the coming cruise, but not if the food service is going the way of the Carnival ships...limited MDR service.

Is there something about the new ships that justifies no full MDR service? Are you out of luck if you love to be waited on for breakfast?

cwn: For what it's worth, the Colonnade is not your run of the mill buffet line. Although there are buffet stations at breakfast and lunch with a variety of hot and cold dishes, you can sit down and order a freshly cooked meal from a menu, including but not limited to, daily specials. There is no need to stand in line or carry a plate if you don't want to. Granted, it would have been nice to have had another option, but I didn't miss the MDR for breakfast or lunch because it was so nice to sit outside and enjoy full table service. I just think the opening hours should be a bit longer.

Out side and full table service sounds good! I am sure we will miss the MDR, but if we can be seated and served for breakfast, that will be fine.

We absolutely hate buffets, no matter how nice. I know many love the buffet...it just isn't our thing especially for the big bucks!

My DH doesn't eat lunch, unless I go so that isn't as big a deal and I did enjoy room service for lunch before.

Thanks so much for responding....I can go back to dreaming and planning for next fall.

I do not like buffet service as well ~I can verify dining in the Colonade I have never gone thru' the buffet or stood in line. For both breakfast and lunch I have enjoyed full table service ~I always chose to sit in cute 'lit Valentina's (Sojourn) station and was never disappointed.

I think you'll also enjoy a long leisure breakfast in the Colonade dining room.

Martita B.

Is there something about the new ships that justifies no full MDR service?

It's a shortsighted decision based on the erroneous assumption that they can save money. For an operation that has very fixed expenses its probably for the convenience of the staff at the detriment of the passengers. A luxury cruise ship should always have a full service restaurant open during meal hours instead of limiting pax to the hectic buffet cafeteria.

It's a shortsighted decision based on the erroneous assumption that they can save money. For an operation that has very fixed expenses its probably for the convenience of the staff at the detriment of the passengers. A luxury cruise ship should always have a full service restaurant open during meal hours instead of limiting pax to the hectic buffet cafeteria.

I totally agree with what you say especially what I bolded. We like crusing because we like being at sea and the full service pamperring. We have no problem with the extra cost of a luxury line if we get service over and above what we get in full suites on the likes of HAL.

We have enjoyed our past Seabourn cruises, this years Regent cruise not so much. We are giving Seabourn another go, but not having the service of a full service dinning room may be a downer...we will see.

Part of the 30+day cruise is a TA. Love those sea days!

We will take a wait and see approach to the Breakfast issue on port days as they are numerous on parts of the cruise. If we can get full service without a hassle for a table or service, things will be OK.

Hope that is the case as we are really looking forward to sailing on the new ship.

Interesting comment. We were on the Quest maiden voyage which was excellent. But we felt our stewardess to be "weaker" than the ones we had on previous Seabourn cruises.
We have found ur stewardess to vary a lot on the big ships, depending on training, where they had been or if they were just out of training. Part of the hazards of expansion. We are not shy and just asked for what we needed and that was taken care of immediately. However, some of our other attendants never had to be asked. It was automatic.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived