Closing Buffet at 4:00 p.m.????

LMHSRN

It amazes me how people get their panties in a wad before they know the facts..... The guest obviously went to the wrong room for the buffet and it does not open till 6:00. Now they know, too late for their cruise, but may help others. Is very important too, to read those Funtimes daily.....

Cruise4Jane:

Simmer down...The OP was confused. The buffet always closes between the end of lunch and the start of dinner. Most likely, she tried to eat during this time period. Had she gone back after 6PM she would have enjoyed her buffet meal.

Cruise4Jane:

Simmer down...The OP was confused. The buffet always closes between the end of lunch and the start of dinner. Most likely, she tried to eat during this time period. Had she gone back after 6PM she would have enjoyed her buffet meal.

I just simmered down after having my 2nd shrimp cocktail of the day :).

They attempted to go up to dinner two different nights after 6:00 p.m. and nothing was available. They were really disappointed.

The OP came back and stated that they did try after 6 PM. Without success.

Of course it still doesn't address if they were in the wrong place. When a ship is the size of a small city, guess this can happen!

Congratulations OP for inciting mass hysteria, I'm going with the "it doesn't sound quite righ" crowd on this one - BUT - I was once on the Paradise and they shut down the grill AND the buffet for change over @ the same time and before the MDR was open. They acknowledged the bad timing and informed everybody they would be without food for 45 minutes. I have never seen so many people overreact to being denied food, especially after 2 days into the cruise. Humans can be very disgusting.

congratulations op for inciting mass hysteria, i'm going with the "it doesn't sound quite righ" crowd on this one - but - i was once on the paradise and they shut down the grill and the buffet for change over @ the same time and before the mdr was open. They acknowledged the bad timing and informed everybody they would be without food for 45 minutes. I have never seen so many people overreact to being denied food, especially after 2 days into the cruise. Humans can be very disgusting.

***like button***

I have been on the Spirit several times and the buffet has always been open for dinner. There are SEVERAL stations open at night not just one.

1 serves some of the MDR choices.

Pizza is open

Deli is open

Salad bar offerings are open

Dessert area is open

Did your daughter ask anyone about it? If you can't find something,most people will try to direct to to it. I'm surprised that she wouldn't have asked someone.

Excuse me, but my daughter, son-in-law and others with them are not confused. The Lido was closed after 4:00 p.m. on the two evenings they attempted to dine there. This is not there first rodeo and they know what they encountered.

No, they did not ask anyone about this. They just went and had pizza and ordered room service later in the evening.

I understand crap happens, but you were not there and they were.

Excuse me, but my daughter, son-in-law and others with them are not confused. The Lido was closed after 4:00 p.m. on the two evenings they attempted to dine there. This is not there first rodeo and they know what they encountered.

No, they did not ask anyone about this. They just went and had pizza and ordered room service later in the evening.

:)

We experienced the same thing with the Lido buffet closed each and every night. We were not confused or in the wrong place. The pizza place was open but the deli was not. We checked the buffet usually between the hours of 7 and 9 pm, and I promise you the place was SHUT DOWN. No one here seems to believe it.

BTW guys, we had fried chicken for dinner tonight and it was pretty dang good :)

Wow, what an inappropriate response, LMH Senior RN. Read some of the other responses and you'll see that a lot of people are questioning what might have happened, not just browneyedwoman. Calm down. :rolleyes:

:)

We experienced the same thing with the Lido buffet closed each and every night. We were not confused or in the wrong place. The pizza place was open but the deli was not. We checked the buffet usually between the hours of 7 and 9 pm, and I promise you the place was SHUT DOWN. No one here seems to believe it.

BTW guys, we had fried chicken for dinner tonight and it was pretty dang good :)

Maybe this is another wave of the future, it wouldn't surprise me since there have never been a lot of people in the Lido eating dinner on our Carnival Cruises. On RCL it was pretty crowded, and the food was always tasty. :)

Too bad they didnt ask because I can think of a few reasons why it *might* have been closed but that would just be speculation...most of them falling under the "crap happens" heading that you mentioned. I hope it was a fluke and not a trend, and I hope they still had a good time!

Ok, what's this I hear that Carnival is now closing the buffett at 4:00 p.m. and not offering anything other than pizza and salad in the evenings?

This information was straight off the Spirit out of Seattle last week. My daughter said they could not get anything from the buffett after 4:00 p.m. - no dinner meals....

What the heck is going on?

maybe this is another experiment CCL is trying and using the Spirit as the guniea pig. Nothing surprises me anymore.

Seems odd that they would do something like this on the Spirit though as there are a lot of late excursions in Alaska so lots would tend to skip the mdr.:confused:

Bill

We sailed on the Splendor earlier this year, and the same thing...the buffet was never open when we were ready to eat. The pizza guy (yeah, there was only one person there) was slower than dirt, so we ended up eating at the deli all week when we didn't eat in the MDR. Carnival is cutting costs where ever they can, but it is going to come back to bit them in the butt, because if most people are like me, that is one of the joys of cruising - getting to eat what you want and when you want.

Now they are changing the menus in the MDR, to food that I could get in about any truckstop. That is pretty sad. No wonder they are getting lax on the formal nights, it isn't worth dressing up to come and eat meatloaf and mashed potatoes, now is it? If they keep going there will be no difference between the MDR and the buffet. Maybe that is their ultimate goal, wean people off the MDR and just go to buffet in the end?

We sailed on the Splendor earlier this year, and the same thing...the buffet was never open when we were ready to eat. The pizza guy (yeah, there was only one person there) was slower than dirt, so we ended up eating at the deli all week when we didn't eat in the MDR. Carnival is cutting costs where ever they can, but it is going to come back to bit them in the butt, because if most people are like me, that is one of the joys of cruising - getting to eat what you want and when you want.

Now they are changing the menus in the MDR, to food that I could get in about any truckstop. That is pretty sad. No wonder they are getting lax on the formal nights, it isn't worth dressing up to come and eat meatloaf and mashed potatoes, now is it? If they keep going there will be no difference between the MDR and the buffet. Maybe that is their ultimate goal, wean people off the MDR and just go to buffet in the end?

I'll be on the Liberty in 3 weeks so I'll find out firsthand if it's spread fleetwide.

If so I would definitely opt to pay a few more sheckles and cruise on another line.

We don't dine in the MDR very often these days so essentially we'd be forced into eating in the MDR or pizza.

I'll hold judgement until then.

Bill

Archived