Closing Buffet at 4:00 p.m.????

LMHSRN

Is there warning in advance that this will happen? I expect that buffet to be open, not be surprised when I go there to eat in my casual attire at a time of my choosing. If timing is wrong, you can't enter the dining room at odd times. (not speaking of anytime dining).

I hope this is not the norm for this ship :eek: Dh and I are sailing to Hawaii next April for 15 days on the Spirit. We are looking forward to skipping several meals in the MDR and grabbing a small bite to eat on the Lido. We have eaten dinner on the Lido only once and wanted to enjoy the more relaxed experience on the Lido.

Upstate....we will be on the Hawaiian cruise with you. Have you been over to the "roll call"???

Is there warning in advance that this will happen? I expect that buffet to be open, not be surprised when I go there to eat in my casual attire at a time of my choosing.
The hours of operation are clearly listed in the Fun Times.

Thought- they may have been short staffed that evening, there may have been problems with food delivery that night, they may have had a scheduling problem, I don't think this is the norm. There may have been a staffing problem, and when things aren't the norm, ASK!

Heard a great story. Woman was fixing a roast, and she cut of the end, and put it in the pan. She wondered why she did this, so she called her mom and asked, Why when you are fixing a roast, do you cut the end off? And her mom said, well that's the way my mother did it, so I just copied her. I will call and ask her why she did it. So she calls her mom, elderly, and now cooking for two-Mom-why do you cut the end of the roast before you put it in the pan, and the mom thinks for a moment, and then says, well when I was cooking for 5, I didn't have a pan large enough to put the whole roast in, so I cut off the end to make it fit.

Question authority

Thought- they may have been short staffed that evening, there may have been problems with food delivery that night, they may have had a scheduling problem, I don't think this is the norm. There may have been a staffing problem, and when things aren't the norm, ASK!

Heard a great story. Woman was fixing a roast, and she cut of the end, and put it in the pan. She wondered why she did this, so she called her mom and asked, Why when you are fixing a roast, do you cut the end off? And her mom said, well that's the way my mother did it, so I just copied her. I will call and ask her why she did it. So she calls her mom, elderly, and now cooking for two-Mom-why do you cut the end of the roast before you put it in the pan, and the mom thinks for a moment, and then says, well when I was cooking for 5, I didn't have a pan large enough to put the whole roast in, so I cut off the end to make it fit.

Question authority

Quite a bit of wisdom here. People should take a chill pill and wait for the answer that Mach will produce from the Hotel Director of the Spirit. The world is not coming to an end!

Here is the Hotel Director " the lido buffet is open until 3:30pm. Then reopens at 5:30pm for dinner everynight and has never not oped for alternative dining "
And I checked with the Chef on another ship just to make sure and he said " what a load of bollocks, whoever posted this must have eaten some spoiled shrimp "........OK, that was me obvioulsy but I can say that none of the ships have stopped their alternative dining and maybe the poster was confused.....anyway....Mach mate - can you set the record straight over there please. Panic over.

from John H facebook page

Here is the Hotel Director " the lido buffet is open until 3:30pm. Then reopens at 5:30pm for dinner everynight and has never not opened for alternative dining "

John Heald

I checked with the Chef who said " This has never happened "

And I checked with the Chef on another ship just to make sure and he said " what a load of bollocks, whoever posted this must have eaten some spoiled shrimp "........OK, that was me obvioulsy but I can say that none of the ships have stopped their alternative dining and maybe the poster was confused.....anyway....Mach mate - can you set the record straight over there please. Panic over.

From JH FB page.

Excuse me, but my daughter, son-in-law and others with them are not confused. The Lido was closed after 4:00 p.m. on the two evenings they attempted to dine there. This is not there first rodeo and they know what they encountered.

No, they did not ask anyone about this. They just went and had pizza and ordered room service later in the evening.

I understand crap happens, but you were not there and they were.

Here is the Hotel Director " the lido buffet is open until 3:30pm. Then reopens at 5:30pm for dinner everynight and has never not opened for alternative dining "

John Heald

From JH FB page.

Well according to the Hotel Director and Chef your DD, SIL & others are a horse short of a rodeo~ Sorry they didn't ask someone to show them to the area of the buffet that was open every night...

from John H facebook page

John Heald

From JH FB page.

Thanks for porting that over, guys. Ya' know, I'm positive that the OP's children were sure that the buffet was closed but I wish they had ASKED someone. I'm sure they would have been directed to the appropriate location and none of this would have occurred.

Sadly, this is how rumors happen and more nonsense is spread and folks bash Carnival for 'going down hill' and cutting back.

I sincerely hope that everyone that questioned on this thread or read this thread and believed that there was a problem gets a chance to read how this ended...

:)

Well according to the Hotel Director and Chef your DD, SIL & others are a horse short of a rodeo~ Sorry they didn't ask someone to show them to the area of the buffet that was open every night...

Well, I guess that makes me crazy as well. You weren't there and I definitely was. There was NO buffet open any night of our cruise. The Lido buffet isn't that large on Spirit. When you go up to that deck, you have to actually walk through the entire buffet area to get to the pizza. There was NO buffet open on either side on any night. We circled and walked around and around to make sure we didn't miss someting. We went up every night usually between the hours of 7 and 9 pm. The entire place was shut down except for the pizza. I am not crazy or imagining it. Nor were we lost or confused as some want to put it. I think I've cruised enough to know when a ship's buffet is shut down.

Let this be a good lesson. Just because someone posts what they believe to be true (in this case it was second hand - OP's daughter), does not make it accurate. When I read the post I immediately reasoned that the OP's daughter was confused on time or place. The buffet would not be closed at dinner time - it would make no sense. The MDR is highly labor intensive. The buffet is much less so - it would not save Carnival money.

Thanks for porting that over, guys. Ya' know, I'm positive that the OP's children were sure that the buffet was closed but I wish they had ASKED someone. I'm sure they would have been directed to the appropriate location and none of this would have occurred.

Maybe the crew should install some temporary signs that say Buffet This Way with an arrow or something like that? That might educate some people who are a bit scare to ask for help

Well, this thread caught my eye, but I could not believe it. Glad to see that we were all set straight. Carnival would not be that stupid to close the Lido buffet for evening meal.

I have been on many CCL ships and have NEVER experienced that. But....the entire thing is not opened like it is for brkfst and lunch. So, maybe it was just a fluke or something for that day. :confused:

We hardly ever use the Lido buffet for dinner, but once in a while we are forced to because of getting back too late from the island or just too long of a nap. :cool: I love that excuse!!!!

Fish off your balcony and bring a foreman grill on board.icon7.gif

or a 1 time use BBQ on the balcony:D

I believe they already have something like that on the market....those in the navy are familiar with it, it's called C-Rations.

better yet how about bringing some spam and pop tarts...:eek:

I've read this thread and while I've never seen the buffet closed at dinner before, that doesn't mean it didn't happen. And frankly, just because "John Heald said so", doesn't mean it didn't happen, either. HE WASN'T THERE! (and he probably doesn't care to check extensively since it doesn't exactly affect him this moment...he has bigger things to worry about)

The OP's adult kids, as well as a completely different passenger, both said it DID happen, and they were there. They have both said that they are EXPERIENCED cruisers, not some first timer who isn't aware of what ship's do and how they do it. I think you guys have been very pompous and rude and why in the world would they lie about something like this?! More than one traveler at that!

Since CC isn't exactly the majority of cruisers, you simply have no way of knowing, but you sound like idiots proclaiming as fact that it didn't when you don't know that. Why not just say, "Wow, I'm so sorry that happened on YOUR SAILING, and I'm so glad it's never happened on any of mine!" People aren't complete morons and this very well COULD have happened, especially when two separate passengers are telling you for a fact that it did and they walked the entire lido. (which means you should STOP asking them if they did, or implying that they're too stupid to know what that means!) Jeez... :rolleyes:

I've read this thread and while I've never seen the buffet closed at dinner before, that doesn't mean it didn't happen. And frankly, just because "John Heald said so", doesn't mean it didn't happen, either. HE WASN'T THERE! (and he probably doesn't care to check extensively since it doesn't exactly affect him this moment...he has bigger things to worry about)

The OP's adult kids, as well as a completely different passenger, both said it DID happen, and they were there. They have both said that they are EXPERIENCED cruisers, not some first timer who isn't aware of what ship's do and how they do it. I think you guys have been very pompous and rude and why in the world would they lie about something like this?! More than one traveler at that!

Since CC isn't exactly the majority of cruisers, you simply have no way of knowing, but you sound like idiots proclaiming as fact that it didn't when you don't know that. Why not just say, "Wow, I'm so sorry that happened on YOUR SAILING, and I'm so glad it's never happened on any of mine!" People aren't complete morons and this very well COULD have happened, especially when two separate passengers are telling you for a fact that it did and they walked the entire lido. (which means you should STOP asking them if they did, or implying that they're too stupid to know what that means!) Jeez... :rolleyes:

He asked the Hotel Manager who is very aware of everything that goes on onboard. They tour the ship numerous times a day making sure that what is supposed to be going on is going on.

By the way, such things are documented... the staff members who worked those venues... when they opened, when they closed, etc...

He asked the Hotel Manager who is very aware of everything that goes on onboard. They tour the ship numerous times a day making sure that what is supposed to be going on is going on.

By the way, such things are documented... the staff members who worked those venues... when they opened, when they closed, etc...

I got that, Mach. And I'm not saying it DID happen...but, I'm not swearing that it didn't, either. People are human and it's not like the guy's going to say, "Oh yeah...we did that because _________ (fill in the blank)" many weeks later. It's their jobs and they aren't likely looking to lose them any time soon if they can help it.

I just think it's a little pompous for people to get on here and call passengers (more than one who says this DID happen) liars simply because John "says" he asks and they emailed him a quick reply that "says" they didn't do it...end of story. The truth is....we don't KNOW. So, it seems much more truthful to say that it's never happened to you, but assume that it COULD have happened to them...regardless of what the hotel director emailed back to John after asking the Head Chef who said he didn't do that five weeks past, or so. :rolleyes::p

The poster "Lovesublime" was not on the same sailing as the OP's daughter. "Lovesublime" was on a 2008 sailing.

Archived