From John Heald:

Mon VICTORY "FUN DAY" AT SEA 7:00 AM 5:00 PM

Tue VICTORY "FUN DAY" AT SEA At Sea At Sea

Wed VICTORY BARBADOS 8:00 AM 5:00 PM

Thu VICTORY ST. LUCIA, WI 8:00 AM 5:00 PM

Fri VICTORY ST KITTS, WI 8:00 AM 6:00 PM

Sat VICTORY ST THOMAS 7:00 AM 6:00 PM

Sun VICTORY SAN JUAN, PUERTO RICO 7:00 AM 10:00 PM

I was thinking about the passport thing and had a few questions.

If you were taking a cruise that stopped at non-us ports (all cruises now), how could you go without a passport? Don't you need a passport to enter Barbados whether by sea or land? Why would it be any different arriving by a cruise ship for a day vs. an airline flight? I know they don't check passports when you get off the ship because you were checked when you embarked the ship.

OK.. I just checked Carnival's website and apparently you don't need a passport! I've always taken mine with me because I was afraid if anything happened while in a port, I wouldn't be able to get home. I noticed from carnival's website they recommend it, but it is not required.

"Carnival Cruise Lines strongly recommends all of our guests travel with a valid passport. However, as of June 1, 2009, U.S. citizens embarking on a cruise that both originates and terminates at the same U.S. port are not required to have a passport, but will need proof of citizenship such as an original or certified copy of a birth certificate, a certificate of naturalization, a passport card, an enhanced driver’s license (EDL) as well as a government-issued photo ID. Children are also required to bring proof of citizenship, and if 16 and over, a photo ID is also required. "

Here is the blub

What it doesnt say is if you dont have a passport, you cant fly into Barbados to catch the ship.So that will end the trip for lots of people.

It really becomes a sad state of affairs when you check for flights out of SJU to BGI..I think I would just count my loses and go back home as soon as I can. I know most of the airlines will allow you free changes if you are in a hurricane zone.

I cant imagine what those pax left in SJ are feeling.

Another good reason to have a passport!!

I am also thinking about those passengers who already checked in and all their luggage was already on board....

To come back from a tour and have no ship, no luggage, no clothes and your passport in your cabin safe...:eek:

I am also thinking about those passengers who already checked in and all their luggage was already on board....

To come back from a tour and have no ship, no luggage, no clothes and your passport in your cabin safe...:eek:

Passengers who had already checked in and chose to leave the ship were told to be back on board by a certain time. There was no surprise that the ship was leaving earlier than scheduled for those who were already there originally.

oooppss' date=' meant to say, "cruisefeen" from Brooklyn......................did family get on ship or staying in airport?[/quote']

Text-ing my sister now but got no reply. My dad just told me that she called and they're en route to Barbados now!.

EDIT: THey're Still in Puerto Rico until Wednesday Morning!

Excuse my ignorance but if they knew they were going to cancel the St.Thomas port of Call, why not just stay docked in Puerto Rico for an extra day and set sail on Tuesday Morning for Barbados. Didn't the decision they made end up costing them MORE money? I mean hotel and flights for 3 plane loads of passengers is kinda crazy.

Text-ing my sister now but got no reply. My dad just told me that she called and they're en route to Barbados now!.

Excuse my ignorance but if they knew they were going to cancel the St.Thomas port of Call, why not just stay docked in Puerto Rico for an extra day and set sail on Tuesday Morning for Barbados. Didn't the decision they made end up costing them MORE money? I mean hotel and flights for 3 plane loads of passengers is kinda crazy.

They didn't get a choice. The coast guard closed the port, they were forced to leave.

Hey Anyone: what is going on w/Victory in San Juan????? It was supposed to set sail at 8pm' date=' anyone w/update, as our kids are supposed to be on the ship. Please give update if anyone can..................c/bb[/quote']

John Heald

So, a very bust day for the beards in Miami and a very busy time for the crew. I am sure there are lots of dissapointed guests but I am sure most will be understanding. As I said this morning, the Carnival Victory had to leave earlier as USCG closed the port. This meant that some guests had yet to join but Carnival is truly looking after them and they will join in Barbados

Hey Anyone: what is going on w/Victory in San Juan????? It was supposed to set sail at 8pm' date=' anyone w/update, as our kids are supposed to be on the ship. Please give update if anyone can..................c/bb[/quote']

The Victory sets sail every Sunday at 10:00pm but yesterday there was tropical storm Irene closing in on Puerto Rico from the southeast and the US Coast Guard decided to close all ports in Puerto Rico at about 8:00pm. The Victory was about to be stranded in PR but the captain and the "beards" negotiated with the CG to let them leave and the CG gave the Victory permission to embark at 8:30pm. TS Irene entered PR from the SE corner and exited from the north near SJ with heavy rain and strong gusts of wind knocking down a few lightposts and signs and flooding a few communities but thank God no one was injured.

I was thinking about the passport thing and had a few questions.

If you were taking a cruise that stopped at non-us ports (all cruises now), how could you go without a passport? Don't you need a passport to enter Barbados whether by sea or land? Why would it be any different arriving by a cruise ship for a day vs. an airline flight? I know they don't check passports when you get off the ship because you were checked when you embarked the ship.

OK.. I just checked Carnival's website and apparently you don't need a passport! I've always taken mine with me because I was afraid if anything happened while in a port, I wouldn't be able to get home. I noticed from carnival's website they recommend it, but it is not required.

"Carnival Cruise Lines strongly recommends all of our guests travel with a valid passport. However, as of June 1, 2009, U.S. citizens embarking on a cruise that both originates and terminates at the same U.S. port are not required to have a passport, but will need proof of citizenship such as an original or certified copy of a birth certificate, a certificate of naturalization, a passport card, an enhanced driver’s license (EDL) as well as a government-issued photo ID. Children are also required to bring proof of citizenship, and if 16 and over, a photo ID is also required. "

Passports are required for flying to any non-US port. For entry into Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean by sea, a passport is recommended but not required. Other documents (such as an Enhanced Driver's License that some states offer), can be used. But for flying you have to have a passport. Nothing else is acceptable. Puerto Rico is considered part of the U.S. so people flying into P.R. don't need anything but a driver's license. But to fly from P.R. to Barbados there is no way around having a passport.

I'm wondering how you can miss the 8pm time if the cruise is scheduled to depart at 10pm. I would think most people would be onboard by then. Are there that many people who arrive by plane to SJU after 8pm for the 10pm cruise departure?? Wow. We are flying in the day before for this very reason!

Well, still have not heard from kids, so hoping they are on ship & ok. I wish I could "hear" from someone on the ship thru a blog/utube........you would think that there is someone on ship w/computer! The reviews ought to be real interesting....................

I was wondering about the procedure for those who flew in not w/Carnival - do they have to pay out of pocket for their flight to Barbados? I am assuming if anyone had insurance (which would be most wise), that the insurance co. would re-inburse the flight? I know that those who flew w/Carnival are being flown to Barbados w/o added cost. Otherwise are these people S.O.L.?

Also, it never ceases to amaze me that people travel w/o a passport. It may be expensive; however, it is a secure ID for many reasons besides flying!

Does anyone know how the San Juan Airport is today? I can only imagine it being "mayhem".............................Oh, how is San Juan, I love that town & hoping all is well w/everyone there! C/BB

The last place a cruise ship wants to be during a storm is tied to a dock. The winds would tear the ropes to pieces and push the ship around.

My thought is if it stayed in port the ship would have taken a beating by the hurricane and most likely sustain damage then nobody would be going anywhere, and the distance from San Juan to Barbados is pretty far, not sure you could make it in one day.

The Victory sets sail every Sunday at 10:00pm but yesterday there was tropical storm Irene closing in on Puerto Rico from the southeast and the US Coast Guard decided to close all ports in Puerto Rico at about 8:00pm. The Victory was about to be stranded in PR but the captain and the "beards" negotiated with the CG to let them leave and the CG gave the Victory permission to embark at 8:30pm. TS Irene entered PR from the SE corner and exited from the north near SJ with heavy rain and strong gusts of wind knocking down a few lightposts and signs and flooding a few communities but thank God no one was injured.

Normally you have to be onboard by 8:30-9 they left at 6

News reports state that over 50% of SJ is without power and others without water but that they have the aiport moving people through now.

I really can't believe people travel without a passport:( I hear the comment that it is expensive, but it sure is more expensive to travel without one when you need one.

how expensive is it really tho, i have one got it 3 years ago, (to go on the victory, i didnt know we didnt need one, just figured it was a good idea) dont remember what i paid. 120$? what does it last 10 years? Not like you need a new one every year! Dont be so cheap! :p

1) When you cruise in Hurricane season YOU always take the risk.

2) Carnival doesn't control the ports Harbor Masters and the Coast Guard do.)

3) ALWAYS fly in the day before less STRESS that way.

4) Pass Ports are essential these days.

5) Lastly Don't Blame Carnival as they were just protecting their ship, much better to be at sea than getting banged around at the dock.

Has anyone heard from people on Victory?

Are they in Barbados now? I heard that the ship had only 25% of passengers - they are now gonna "pick up" the ones that were flown down to Barbados? Anyone w/insight on this? Thanksx

p/s: STILL no contact w/family (wait until I get "hold" of them...........)

C/BB

Not sure how many other people left with them but My Sister and her friend have departed San Juan Puerto Rico to Barbados TONIGHT. They're being put up in the Barbados Hilton until tomorrow.

Seems to me they're having the Best Vacation From Hell ever LOL

Keep us updated...they are doing much better than the Royal stranded passengers, sounds like they were just forgotten about..

http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/post/2011/08/stranded-passengers-san-juan-royal-caribbean-hurricane-irene/416548/1

John posted the following 1 hour ago.....

John Heald

Re the Carnival Victory - I had some information that some people who were unable to baord the port was closed and the ship left have arrived in Barbados and are being looked after. Unfortunatley some who did not have passports were ( and my apologies for the previous incorrect information ) not able to fly and had to return home. I feel awful for them. Ok - time to walk the ship

Archived