Flying home with Alcohol

kenandteri

Our cruise in October (41 days to be exact) will be the first one we've flown to/from the port (Tampa) since the new "no liquids on board" policy has been in effect. So.... I'm just curious how others have managed to make it home with liquor purchased either on board or in port? We have considered taking an extra empty suitcase to bring it home with, but we will have to pay for it (flying on Allegiant - which charges for any checked bags)... and I wasn't sure how safe that would be even if i packed the bottles well (maybe with dirty laundry perhaps???? ;)). Any suggestions? We usually buy as much as we can since the prices for flavored rums and vodka are way better than here in KY...

Our cruise in October (41 days to be exact) will be the first one we've flown to/from the port (Tampa) since the new "no liquids on board" policy has been in effect. So.... I'm just curious how others have managed to make it home with liquor purchased either on board or in port? We have considered taking an extra empty suitcase to bring it home with, but we will have to pay for it (flying on Allegiant - which charges for any checked bags)... and I wasn't sure how safe that would be even if i packed the bottles well (maybe with dirty laundry perhaps???? ;)). Any suggestions? We usually buy as much as we can since the prices for flavored rums and vodka are way better than here in KY...

I bought a bottle of PR rum for my son and gave it to my BFF to fly back to OK with her from Miami. We bubbled wrapped it and it made it fine. She had purchased a few bottles of her own and all made it intact. I would suggest bubble wrap and a towel or two in addition. I think it will be fine. Or you can pay to ship it home ( I think :confused:)

How much is it to check a bag and is it worth it. I have a duffle bag type thing I bring that I can pack and then I check that on the way home and use the suitcase for goodies. But I will pack with lots of cloths around them and pack everything on a ziplock bag. I am going to bring bubble wrap too. Mind you we fly jet blue so we each get a free bag. But if we weren't I still mihgt do it as 25 for a bag is not too bad when you spread the cost over what you bought

How much is it to check a bag and is it worth it. I have a duffle bag type thing I bring that I can pack and then I check that on the way home and use the suitcase for goodies. But I will pack with lots of cloths around them and pack everything on a ziplock bag. I am going to bring bubble wrap too. Mind you we fly jet blue so we each get a free bag. But if we weren't I still mihgt do it as 25 for a bag is not too bad when you spread the cost over what you bought

I flew AA and I think I paid $25 per bag. Since you cant carry liquids on board over 3oz, then if you buy alcohol (unless its from the duty free shop after security) you have to check it or drink it!

We also do bubble wrap and put the bottles so they are in the middle of the suitcase surrounded by clothes. We make sure that there is no shifting in the case so we stuff it pretty full. Just one more thing to remember though is the weight limit...we have purchased a hand held luggage weigher because we have been at the airport having to shift things around...the over weight fee is just to high. Just make sure to underpack your suitcases going to leave room for the bottles coming home. We have done it this way flying from the Florida ports to Seattle without any trouble...hope I haven't jinxed us for December!

We fly from PA to FL for most cruises and have brought back liquor from the cruise. At the most we flew back with 8 bottles in 3 suitcases in Southwest Airlines. We used bubble wrap, taped two bottles together and surrounded it with clothing. All packed liquor has made it back safely from our cruises.

We flew from Florida to San Francisco/Sonoma...and purchased a total of 12 bottles of wine. We used a case crate (cardboard packaging) for the 12 bottles and just checked it. It was perfect! Bagage handlers knew what it was and came back to us unharmed :D

Where in Ky are you? I'm in Indiana right across from Louisville.

When we did our last cruise we bought I think 4 bottles of alcohol in Puerto Rico, they boxed them up in bubble wrap for us and we were just going to check the box. When we got to the airport, they wouldn't let us. So we had to take our bags and rearrange everything and pack our clothes around the bubble wrapped bottles. I was super pissed at Delta! But our bags weren't overweight and they made it back just fine. Whew! We were worried our whole flight back!

On our last cruise my DH and I brought back a total of 6 bottles of alcohol dispersed between 2 suitcases, packed in bubble wrap. I also travel with a couple of insulated wine cooler bags I bought locally from a winery. When we unpacked, all the bottles were in perfect condition, not so much as a leak or crack in any of them. Just make sure they are not sitting in the bottom of your suitcase, make sure you have a lot of cushioning in between.:)

When we did our last cruise we bought I think 4 bottles of alcohol in Puerto Rico, they boxed them up in bubble wrap for us and we were just going to check the box. When we got to the airport, they wouldn't let us. So we had to take our bags and rearrange everything and pack our clothes around the bubble wrapped bottles. I was super pissed at Delta! But our bags weren't overweight and they made it back just fine. Whew! We were worried our whole flight back!

See the attached link for wineskin. It works great. Our local liquor/wine store used to carry it. The don't carry wineskin specifically, but they offer something similar which works just as well. We transported 2 bottles of tequilla and one bottle of wine this way. You may want to see if your local liquor/wine store has something like this. Or, order on line.

http://www.magellans.com/store/Health___Hygiene___Food___DrinkFP321

I always take a few 2.5 gallon ziplock bags with me when I travel. They come in handy for all kinds of things, including bringing home liquor bottles. One bottle per bag, then roll the bottle in a pair of slacks. Pack in the suitcase with plenty of other dirty clothes around it. I also have a baggage scale so I don't create an overweight bag...

FYI. If you are flying home from Puerto Rico, you can buy liquor at the airport (good prices, not as cheap as Carib. but still cheaper than home). They pack it in a bag with a lock. Kind of a twister seal thing. You can then take it on the plane as your carry-on. We've gotten good prices on Bailey's and vodka.

Libtrek

We have done this many times and Swimmies are the way to go. (you know the inflatable things little kids wear on their upper arms in the water). Dollar stores sells 2 pr in a package. Put one on the bottle and then blow it up. One package, 4 swimmies, one dollar.

Swimmies are the way to go. (you know the inflatable things little kids wear on their upper arms in the water).

OMG - BRILLIANT. I had never thought about that, but it's now on my list of "gotta gets" before the cruise.

Ginnyanne - I lived in Georgetown for about 3 years not long ago... spent a lot of time in Jeff and at the boat too..... small world....

My son had a bottle of rum bust in his checked luggage once and it was not pretty! I buy those cardboard type wine tubes for a few dollars and they work perfectly, just tape the lid down or the bottle can slide out during transport.

When we buy on the ship we just leave it in their packing, never had a problem or any break. I do roll and pack as much of the heavy dirty or clean cloths in our carryons on the way home and leave weight and room on our check ins. I also carry a hand held weight so we can weigh them before we fly. Good Luck!!

Howdy Neighbor! We are in Mt. Washingtin, just south of Louisville! We are crusing October 3 on the Inspiration out of Tampa

Just keep in mind that it needs to be in your checked luggage (Incase you don't know that already)

We were at the airport and saw some people get their liquor taken away, because they wanted to carry it on.

Archived