Who can help with tours in South. Caribean?

dons_shopper

:rolleyes: I know there are lots of posts, I have looked at a lot already. But perhaps you can give some advice, also about taxis and public transportation? DH and I will go to Samana,Tortola, Philipsburg, St.Johns, Roseau, Bridgetown, Basseterre.

What about daypasses at nice hotels? Snorkeling? Swimming with dolphins?

Help will be highly appreciated! Thank you!

Tammy

Get a guidebook on your ports and read it...you may find that you don't need a daypass to a hotel...the beaches are public with rentals, food, restrooms, etc.....the guidebook will tell you where, and how to get there. Public transportation is cheap and avail....the guidebook can help with that, too!

All the info you need will be in a guidebook...it's the best way to save a bunch of money, and still have a fabulous time!!!

:rolleyes: I know there are lots of posts, I have looked at a lot already. But perhaps you can give some advice, also about taxis and public transportation? DH and I will go to Samana,Tortola, Philipsburg, St.Johns, Roseau, Bridgetown, Basseterre.

Tammy

Ā 

:) We have been to each of the ports you will stop at many times. Don't book any tours on the ship. There will be many tour operators right on the dock and the prices will half of what they charge on the ship. Tours to snorkel, and a lot of other things. HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!

:rolleyes: I know there are lots of posts, I have looked at a lot already. But perhaps you can give some advice, also about taxis and public transportation? DH and I will go to Samana,Tortola...Go to the Baths at Virgin Gorda Philipsburg, St.Johns...Trunk Bay, Roseau..do the Emerald Falls & Rainforest Excursion, Bridgetown, Basseterre.

Tammy

Ā 

Enjoy your cruise! And be careful with private tours...In Dominica there was an accident right in front of our bus returning from Emerald Falls. We would have missed the ship (Noordam) if not for being on a ship-sponsored excursion that time. ;).

Tammy

Ā 

Hi Tammy! I will just give my suggestions for the ports that I visit.

Tortola This is a great port. Are you a beach person or like to be busy? The reason I ask this is because this port have the Baths and great beaches.

I went to the Baths with Patouche. We sailed over from Road Town on a Catamaran. They only had 20 people on the catamaran. The crew was top notch and great host.

Now we were docked off a beach near the baths and had to swim over. They had floats for those needing them and a dingy. One of the ship crew was with us and gave a semi tour. She was great in leading us different ways when other groups where at one point or a certain area was too crowded. You could do it without her if you wanted,but had to be back at the beach by a certain time.

The sailing was one of the best on catamaran I had.

Now you can also do the Baths on your own with one of the local ferries. Some people on board did this and had a good time.

If you are a beach person, there are alot great beaches. Two of the women I met on the ship were heading to Cane Garden for the day. I arrived later and enjoyed sitting and drinking painkillers :D.

I've also did a local tour. On my last visit, I didn't have anything plan and just walked off the ship and did a tour with the local guides at the port. The only drawback is if you don't want to do a private tour and with others, they are going to wait to fill the open air taxi to a certain point. It was about a 15 minute wait.

The tour was a typical island tour with some great highlights. At a certain point, there was local artwork show island life along the road. It so happen the artist was working on adding more and we got to stop and talk to him.

The shopping is not that great, the typical t-shirt and mass artwork. I did buy some Mango tea from a local shop and hate I purchased a small tin.

St Martin This is another fave island of mine and I always find something to do. The only drawback if there are more than three ships,esp if Oasis is one in port, it get crowded and expect heavy traffic near the port.

This is another island that's great for island tour, beaches, shopping and island hopping.

The island tour is a great way to get an overview of the island.

I love the french side. The shops and cafes are great. There is a craft market. While there is the typical tinkets, you can find local items and great spices.

You have quite a few great beaches to enjoy.

I did a group tour with Bernard and a private one with Joyce. Both were great tours. I did enjoy Joyce a little better because it was just me and since it wasn't my first visit to St. Martin, I had better ideas on what to do and where to go.

Near the port area, take the water taxi across and enjoy shopping

If your ship is in port a long time and if you want to do something different, head to Anguilla! The beaches there are heavenly!

Roseau I tell everyone this is one island that I want to return to and made a point to make sure my 2012 cruise has a stop there. I can only describe the island as what Eden must looked like. There are several local vendors that offer great tours. I also found the local woodwork and spices were priced great here and hate I didn't buy more.

Barbados This is another great beach island, snorkling, swimming with the turtles and island tour.

St Kitts I love this island. It's not too touristy. I did a tour with local vender Ivla Wallace. Her rates are great and she gives a great tour.

Visit Brimstone Fort, the view is outstanding!

Nevis is also nearby and a great island. But with how the cruiseships come in and the ferry times, you will have limited time here. But it's worth a visit!

For hotel daypass, I would look at Barbados and St Kitts. I have some info that I have to dig up on this.

Your snorkeling also Bardados and Roseau.

I've never been to Samana or St. John. I know I read a great review on a snorkeling tour in St. John on a recent review. They went to two spots where they were the only catamaran and had a beachfront lunch.

I hope this helps!

Archived