Voyager of the Seas in Ravenna

rsharonj

We have booked a shore excursion in Ravenna that returns to the ship at 1 pm. Don't want to miss the mosiacs so I'm wondering if we would still have time to take the shuttle into town to do our self-guided walking tour or should we cancel the shore excursion? Originally RCCL was offering an afternoon tour of the mosaics but it was canceled.

Trip Advisor ranks the mosaic sites by popularity. That's helpful information since you won't be able to see all of them in one afternoon. I'd rank Sant'Appollinare Nuovo higher, but that's probably because we had a great guide who explained the revisionist history going on in the sections of the mosaics that had been replaced. For sheer beauty and impact alone, the list is a good resource.

Unfortunately, you'll likely have to skip the #2 ranked church, Sant'Apollinare in Classe since Classe is a suburb of Ravenna.

Memory tells me that San Vitale and the Mausoleum of Galia Placida are within easy walking distance of one another. Memory also tells me that we had to take taxis even within Ravenna. (To see Sant'Apollinare Nuovo?????) Please don't rely on my memory!

Archived