A question about 'chair hogs'

littlesteelo

I am not uptight or self centred- just an early bird who enjoys the mornings and I am one of them who gets up early and finds a sunbed in a suitable place. But I use it all morning. I presume you were referring to those who reserve in the morning and then never use them.

Always will be a controversial issue I guess, and we make jokes about our german counterparts!:)

Bad english sorry, i obviously mean get up at 7:30, reserve a longer with your towel then bugga off for two hours. If your sat on the chair methinks that counts as a legitimate claim staked. It would be nice to blame our teutonic friends ( certainly for the comedy) but they were definately all brits on my recent mediteranean adventure, all of em not giving two hoots about there fellow travellers. That to me is self centred.

I know most people, especially me, hate those who put things on sun loungers and come back hours later, but I was thinking about this on my recent cruise, where I used the pools a lot, and often went in with friends and without the rest of my family, leaving my things on a sun lounger (towel, sandals etc.). Is this also wrong in your opinion, and where should you leave your things if you decide to go in the pool without anyone to watch your things? I would feel pretty annoyed if I got out of the pool after an hour or two and my things were gone.

there is no problem leaving the chair to go for a swim but its when people hog a chair for the day. Last year a lady left a copy of people Friend on a chair by the pool for the day and would return look at it for two mins .. yes two mins then get up and go off for another hour !!! that magazine was still on the chair at 5pm !! what a daft thing to do.

If you get up ( expect for the loo or a swim) you give up the chair and somebody else can use it. You wouldnt do it in a resturant ?

There are enough chairs if everybody moves off after a while somebody else can have a hour on the chair... and why not? weve all paid to be on board.

A pool butler would be great.

I can't believe P&O allows so many of its passengers to be upset about it when there is a simple remedy.

Totally agree - I have heard a lot about this being a problem on the bigger ships like the Azura.

I am also glad we have one of the larger balcony cabins so we can relax on the balcony of there is a shortage of sun beds.

Totally agree - I have heard a lot about this being a problem on the bigger ships like the Azura.

I am also glad we have one of the larger balcony cabins so we can relax on the balcony of there is a shortage of sun beds.

I hope you like it hot. It was like an oven by 9am on the balcony on the Transatlantic last year. :eek: We were squashed into a corner trying to eat our breakfast in the bit of shade. :cool:

HI Catherine & U 2 cruiser

Let me know your cabin numbers and I will come to your balconies if little old me cannot find a sunbed somewhere to park myself. Hopefully yours and living in hope.

Regards

JO:)

I hope you like it hot. It was like an oven by 9am on the balcony on the Transatlantic last year. :eek: We were squashed into a corner trying to eat our breakfast in the bit of shade. :cool:

Luckily I do - but I'd rather be on deck close to a pool so I could take a dip whenever I needed to! :)

HI Catherine & U 2 cruiser

Let me know your cabin numbers and I will come to your balconies if little old me cannot find a sunbed somewhere to park myself. Hopefully yours and living in hope.

Regards

JO:)

You would be very welcome. G&T at 6 ;)

Balconies are of course part of the problem. As soon as ships were built with lots of private balconies, people were expected to use them and not the public decks, so open deck space was cut dramatically. Perhaps they should have a rule - sunbeds are only for use by those in inside and outside cabins with no balconies ;)

Balconies are of course part of the problem. As soon as ships were built with lots of private balconies, people were expected to use them and not the public decks, so open deck space was cut dramatically. Perhaps they should have a rule - sunbeds are only for use by those in inside and outside cabins with no balconies ;)

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO What if I want to use the pool? :eek: :p

Maybe P&O could provide little cardboard clocks. when you leave the sunbed, set the clock. If your are away for over 30mins, anyone can move your stuff. :D:rolleyes:

Families would just reset it :(.

How about a bar across the bed which only moves when you insert your cruise card? These very sophisticated sun beds will sense when the bed is empty and will start charging you after half an hour? :D

Families would still reset them wouldn't they? They'd all be playing musical beds then changing every half an hour on to the empty beds :mad:

We went for breakfast at 9.30, came back at 10 and our seats had been taken, and all our belongings thrown on the floor. We were livid.:mad:

Why were you livid? Buzzing off for a meal and leaving stuff on chairs is chair-hogging.

I suggest that next time you either starve or leave the chairs for others when you go to eat; in my book there is no excuse for leaving a chair 'reserved' with no backside sitting in it - if you are alone and have to pop off for a quick loo break, or into the pool for a quick swim, then ask someone nearby to explain that you are only away for five or ten minutes. After that, P&O's chair (not your chair) is fair game.

Oarsman - Great point. If you leave a lounger or a chair for more than 10-15 mins, then you should take your stuff with you and be prepared to find a new one.

Its just like Catherine says - People just need to be considerate of one an other.

On a trip some years ago, people used to put their towels on loungers by the pool on the way back from a night out - when we used to go to breakfast we would move them all. It was very funny having a long breakfast watching the hungover lot surface and search for their towels from other loungers. That said we were quite young at the time.

U2cruiser - you seem to suggest that families are the main culprits of the chair hogging but this was definitely not the case when I was on Azura in February!

We were a family of 6 and our 3 kids spent most of the time in the pool/hottubs so hubby and I would have 3 loungers in the sun one for me and him and another one for the 3 kids to share when they came in and out of the pool but if there wasn't a lounger adjacent to us then we made the 2 sunloungers do for all 5 of us and then mother-in-law had her chair behind us in the shade.

From my observations on our 2 week cruise it definitely wasn't the families who were chair hogging and I used to spend a lot of time watching the nerve of some people sometimes leaving a chair for up to 2 hours and expecting it to still be there when they came back. I think a lot has to be said for RCI's towel system as I said we never experienced any problems on 2 RCI cruises or maybe the ships have more room for the guests on the sun decks i'm not sure!

U2cruiser - you seem to suggest that families are the main culprits of the chair hogging but this was definitely not the case when I was on Azura in February!

We were a family of 6 and our 3 kids spent most of the time in the pool/hottubs so hubby and I would have 3 loungers in the sun one for me and him and another one for the 3 kids to share when they came in and out of the pool but if there wasn't a lounger adjacent to us then we made the 2 sunloungers do for all 5 of us and then mother-in-law had her chair behind us in the shade.

From my observations on our 2 week cruise it definitely wasn't the families who were chair hogging and I used to spend a lot of time watching the nerve of some people sometimes leaving a chair for up to 2 hours and expecting it to still be there when they came back. I think a lot has to be said for RCI's towel system as I said we never experienced any problems on 2 RCI cruises or maybe the ships have more room for the guests on the sun decks i'm not sure!

That was how it appeared on the TA as lots of big family groups and 16 wedding groups were travelling together, and they reserved large bays of beds in the same places everyday. There were 8 sea days so they became quite territorial. Of course, there were lots of other people doing it as well, but they weren't quite as noticable as the large groups.

Your way of keeping one spare bed for the kids is very considerate as there would probably be always one of them using it.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO What if I want to use the pool? :eek: :p

:) Just an idea....from one who can't afford a balcony of course !! :(

HI yes it was terrible on Azura. looking forward to Arcadia next Wednesday, although the weather doesn't look great. Will let you know how different it is. Azura was not for me for lots of reasons.

Hope you have a great time on Arcadia Jean - its years since we were on her but good to see her last week as she was in Lerwick. I was wishing I was onboard!

It will be a totally different experience for you on Arcadia - hopefully no chair hoggers!!!

Caryl

Ummm Not so sure about that, there are chair hoggers on all the ships, mainly around the prime positions though like around the pool or looking out to sea at the aft...:rolleyes:

After all its the Adults who chair hog and they are on all the ships on the fleet, P&O or any other ship, and no doubt it happens on all ships....its policing them that only (sadly)only happens on some of the ships,

I remember a early morning look for a sunbed on Oriana, we didn't reserve one before breakfast, we ate our breakfast then went looking for sunbeds on the 'famous' tiered aft decks I had heard so much about,. NONE at 9.30am, but lots of empty ones with towels and a book on ...grrrrrrrrrrrr...:cool:

Same for us on Ventura last December/January in the Caribbean.

I was really annoyed when we found 2 chairs and proceeded to sit down when a woman shouted "Oi!! My husband is sitting there!!!" Well obviously he wasn't and I had to bite my tongue from asking her how he managed to make himself invisible - he must be so clever!"!"

We enjoyed the port days though when we stayed onboard and there were plenty of sunbeds to be had.

Reading all this resentment just shows that there is a need for P&O to have sunbed police!

Caryl

Archived