Kids dress code in MDR

CruizinChica

I'm sailing in Nov on the Oasis of the Seas with my 9 year old son. We chose my time dining and will be eating early about 6-630. Is it ok for him to wear a nice pair of khaki shorts and say a polo shirt to dinner? :confused: After dinner he goes right back to Adventure Ocean. As big as that ship is I'd hate to have to go back to my room and change him from pants to shorts every night after dinner.:( Has anyone seen kids with shorts on in the MDR? Do you think dress shorts would be allowed? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated...Thanks in advance. :)

In the MDR, shorts are permitted at breakfast and lunch only. That is what the suggested dress is and the kids are expected to wear the same as the adults.

The MDR is freezing. So shorts aren't necessary to be comfortable. So you asked for honestly, you will see kids in shorts. For my family, we adhere to the dress code. You don't need to pack 7 pairs of pants (although I do pack 7 dresses x 3 girls :eek: plus shoes- yes, it's a mess)

For boys, I have seen moms say they take a couple pairs of khaki pants and just match different shirts to them each night.

My girls never change into shorts to go to AO. Even if its formal night, they wear their formal attire to the kids club. Its part of the fun of being on a ship.

There's a restroom right outside the MDR - just take him in there after dinner and put the shorts on if you want him to wear them to AO. It makes no difference whether anyone on these boards thinks that "dress" shorts (whatever they are) should or should not be permitted. The cruiseline says they are not. Our DGS has sailed since age six and never had a problem with long pants at dinner - and you certainly do not need seven pair.

My kids did fine with even Jean/tennis shoe, nice polo shirt for non-formal days. On elegant/formal nights still get them to wear the monkey suit, but they ran back to room and got back into comfy wear right after the meal.

For breakfast/lunch its much more relaxed.

Unfortunately, it sounds as though this is one of those cases where you will most likely be allowed to do this, but shorts are not actually permitted per the dress code. I agree with the poster who suggested bringing other clothes to change into in the bathroom before going to AO. Likely you could get away with bringing a couple of pairs of pants and some Shout wipes just in case.

We have sailed Carnival quite a few times and my son has worn shorts in the dining room every night except for formal night....he is 10 now, and the last time he cruised he was 9. My daughter also wore shorts.....

Carnival has decidedly different dress codes than Royal Caribbean which is the cruiseline OP will be on so indicating what is acceptable on Carnival does not really respond to the question.

Carnival has decidedly different dress codes than Royal Caribbean which is the cruiseline OP will be on so indicating what is acceptable on Carnival does not really respond to the question.

That's what I was thinking. Everyone walks around in shorts in the MDR on Carnival - not just the kids. ;)

I apologize for my mis-post and incorrect answer. I didn't see where it said what cruiseline the OP was on.. sorry.

We usually bring 2 prs of dark pants that they wear to both casual or formal dinners. Dark pants hide any stains better. I spot clean any small messes and any major messes could be sent to the laundry.

We dress them up with a dress shirt or two worn with a patterned tie (solids show stains quickly) or dress them down with a more casual, collared shirt (polo or buttoned plaid.) Our boys, now 7 & 11 are usually tuckered out by the time dinner is over and they have never been huge fans of the kids club, but if we do go out, they usually don't change their clothes, and as cruisinmama says, that is part of the fun of the evenings.

I think there is a bit more leeway when it comes to kids and dress codes, and with all but the formal night, if your son is truly uncomfortable in long pants, then wear nice shorts. Don't be surprised if he is the one who wants to dress for dinner. One year when our youngest DS was 5, he insisted on wearing his tie to the casual dinner.

It is possible to pack for a 7 night cruise with just carryon luggage and still have enough clothes and your sanity. Let me know if want more details.

To me a nine year old is not like a toddler or young child so I would say no to the shorts. I am sure you "could" do it if you wanted to. Why not let him go to the kids dinners a few nights, try some of the casual dining options some nights and then wear pants to the MDR the other nights. That might be a good compromise. My kids only eat with us 2 nights in a 7 night (first and formal) the others they eat room service and head to the club. We still have plenty of family time.

We just came back from a cruise on Royal Carribean. Kids and adults wore what they wanted in the MDR. I saw shorts, jeans and sneakers on many kids and adults. I think my 8 year old wore nice shorts one night and jeans another night. Nobody stopped him. I, personally, liked having my kids dress up and he wore a suit on formal night (we already owned it) and khakis and a polo shirt the other nights. Our room wasn't too far from the kids club and we always went back to change into gym shorts. The majority of kids were dressed in comfy clothes for the kids club. They are running around until all hours of the night (at least my kids) and wanted to be as comfortable as possible.

I actually think that the longer dress shorts are dressier then some pants! They look good definatly not casual. It is no different then a girl wearing a skirt. To the OP just dress him how you are comfortable.

Archived