Passport Cards

boardergirl

I used a passport card on my Eastern Caribbean cruise (stops in Nassau, St. Thomas, St. Martin) last year and didn't have any problems. I am upgrading to a full passport for my Western Caribbean cruise next year however.

For some foolish reason I have both the book and the card. I did use the card for one cruse with no problems from either Carnival or ICE. I made sure that I had my book with me just in case I had to fly home. The card can be used for the cruise, but is useless if you have to fly home.

They work just fine. My wife and bought just the passport card for our first cruise (needing to save some money) but now wish we had got the book. I would suggest getting the book.

The card makes it real easy for cruising though as it is just like a DL and fits in my wallet.

We are planning to upgrade to the book soon.

We ordered both and use the card for convenience (it was only $25 more). But we like the security of the book in the event we need to fly home. We leave the book in the safe and keep the card with our sail and sign card. So far we haven't had to use the book, but like to get it stamped to record all of the places we've been. We're leaving in 4 days on the Sensation. Thanks to Irene, we are definitely bringing the book - just in case we have to fly to another port or something.

We have the passport book & card (or will, once my DF gets his application in).

I plan to keep my passport card with his book, and his card with my book. That way, should either of us lose something, we can still both get on the ship.

ETA: We also live in Texas, so we could use the card for border crossings if we wanted to.

If you are only going to get the card you might as well save your money and just use your BC/DL because it won't offer you any more protection then that if you are stranded somewhere. The card is made for folks who travel between us/mexico or us/canada by land heavily. I would either get a regular passport of stick with a BC/DL.

If you are only going to get the card you might as well save your money and just use your BC/DL because it won't offer you any more protection then that if you are stranded somewhere. The card is made for folks who travel between us/mexico or us/canada by land heavily. I would either get a regular passport of stick with a BC/DL.

Exactly

Waste of money!

I have both because a do a lot of border crossing between NY and Canada with family at school in Ferdonia, NY. Card in wallet is a lot simpler then carrying the book and I have zero possibility I will fly out of Canada on just a day crossing.

If you aren't land crossing I don't see any reason to get to get the card unless you can not afford the book.

FWIW

Ditto

Excellent post by John Heald today on his Facebook page that illustrates the importance of having a passport when traveling out of the country. The ship leaving out of San Juan a couple of days ago was forced to leave port early by the storm. Not all the passengers were on board. The ones that had passports were flown to meet the ship at the next port. The ones that did not were not allowed to board the aircraft for the flight. Their cruise was stopped before it even started because they were unprepared and did not use common sense in getting a passport.

Archived