shopping in Roatan and Belize

JustJamieH

Where we used to dock, the shopping was fantastic, the deals pletiful. Now Carnival has control over Mahagany Bay and prices about doubled from what I had bought the year before.

Get Victor to take you to the grocery store and load up with wonderful Honduras coffee, go to west end and shop.

I wasnt too impressed with Belize.

both places do have shops in the ports

Fire you didn't like the shopping at the port in Belize? I loved it, practically got a whole new wardrobe. No need to leave the port area, much like Cozumel.

And if you like conch fritters, the best in the Caribbean, IMHO, are at the Wet Lizard in Belize. Cheap good food and cheap beer. Don't miss it.

In Roatan, we left the area, walked up the Hill of Pain and asked the person at the guard shack about options. He hooked us up with someone for the day and he took us all over the place. I think the guard gets a piece of their action for steering business. We went to a private club for swimming, tour of the city (very poor) and then shopping. You can get some good deals. The guy took us to the East End because all the tourists go to the West End. The average wage is 100.00 per month so the folks are very willing to help. The young lady helping keep track of my wife shopping (not an easy task) flipped when my wife slid her a 10.00 tip. It was our last stop and she did her souvenir/gift shopping that day. At the end the cabbie dropped us off right at the port area. They can bring you back over the hill. The cabbie cost us 35.00 for the day.

In Belize we stayed in the port area and did some shopping. Alot of stores to look through. Don't get in a rush because it seemed the farther down the strip, the better the prices got. So spend some time as there are a ton of knockoffs. Some are made better than others.

The shopping area in Roatan in the port area is very nice, but a little pricey. I didn't leave the area as we really wanted a low key walk on and off the ship hang at the beach kind of day. I would definitely reccomend leaving the port area. It was very crowded at the beach and the shopping felt "disneyesque", actually the whole port area kind of felt that way, nice and clean, but a little fake. Never made it off the boat in Belize, wish I would have, but finally found an empty chair on the serenity deck and just couldn't give it up.

Check out Victor Bodden..his people will take you all over the island. You can go "downtown" don't know if I'd be comfortable without someone with me but the shopping was great. Went to the grocery and a few shops...great deals. Include this with your own guide for a day...good deal.

my husband has a handicap scooter.( which can not be taken apart)

Did you see if they had any cabs that can take a large handicap Scooter?

I would like to tour both places.

thanks

my husband has a handicap scooter.( which can not be taken apart)

Did you see if they had any cabs that can take a large handicap Scooter?

I would like to tour both places.

thanks

I'd recommend checking out Victor Bodden's tours. He is very good about answering e-mails. You probably could ask him directly how he might be able to accommodate your needs.

We loved our tour last year with him. Barney was our guide and he was fabulous. We asked him to take us shopping outside the tourist traps. He did a great job.

I wasn't all that impressed with Belize, but there are varying reports based on other people's answers.

Fire you didn't like the shopping at the port in Belize? I loved it, practically got a whole new wardrobe. No need to leave the port area, much like Cozumel.

And if you like conch fritters, the best in the Caribbean, IMHO, are at the Wet Lizard in Belize. Cheap good food and cheap beer. Don't miss it.

I said I didnt like Belize (not the port). I did a tour of the town and wished I hadnt. Depressing I thought, with bars on all the windows.

Get out and see nature, not the town.

In Roatan, visit the Cameo Factory! Absolutely the finest cameos this side of Italy. Actually the family running the Factory trace their roots back to the Cameo Carvers of Italy. And, for Cameos, the price is reasonable. Plus you can get Caribbean styles.

If you want to pay the overblown prices for all the same stores you see at every cruise port, yes there is shopping at the port in Roatan. But this is one island where you should really get out and explore...it's really beautiful! As another poster said, it's pretty and very fake. One place we enjoyed shopping at was a little "mall" (using that term very loosely!) across the street from the Coxen Hole port (where the other cruiselines dock). They had some wonderful and unique local items, and those people really need our business. Roatan is known for their beautiful wood-carved items, and they were plentiful there.

I'm not wild about the Belize port area, but there is shopping there. Wet Lizard is a nice place to take a break, have a drink and people-watch:)

Roatan is one of my favorite places on earth. The island is beautiful and there are lots of unique shops located in west and east end as well as in Coxen Hole and the "old" port area.

Belize City is a true working city and if you go across the swing bridge there are some fun shops. They have silver shops that are equal to Mexican silver prices and one of my favorite fabric stores is located here. They have simply beautiful linen and silks and I always stock up because the prices are incredible. Yes there are bars on the windows and dirt and grime but it is a city. I was never scared and I'm 4'11", 120 pounds and I was alone!

I prefer going into the country side in Belize but for shoppers there are things to do other than just the tourist mall if that is your thing.

Archived