NCL - Kids club / non English speaking kids?

Tomppe

We will be first time cruisers with children who are 8, 9 and 11 years old (NCL Jade from Barcelona in February 2012).

Since we are not an English -speaking family, our children know very little of the English language (well, the 11 year old could order food in a restaurant, say good morning or ask for a ball, but not that much else).

Would it be possible for them to join the Kid's club program at some of the days? They all love sports and I suppose one does not need to speak the same language in a sports game ;)

We are not planning on keeping them in Kid's club for the whole time - just thinking of options for more child-friendly activities during the 9-day cruise with 4 seadays....

Children have a marvelous way of getting along even if they can't communicate with language. If they love to play sports, I think they'll be fine.

I always thought that most countries taught their children their own language, English and at least one other language, making so many children bi and tri lingual. I guess I didn't realize that they might not speak any English at all. Is this standard in your school system? I always thought the US schools are terribly remiss in not having a more immersive foreign language program for our kids, believing that most other countries are better at schooling their kids in English and other languages.

Is this more common than I thought?

We were on the Jade out of Barcelona and there were plenty of kids in the kids club who did not speak English. The staff is used to kids from all over since Barcelona is easier and less expensive to get to from that side of the Atlantic than this :).

Best,

Mia

When we sailed Panama Canal there were only 23 kids aboard. 50% were from an extended family from Germany. The kids knew very little English. The staff did a great job getting all the kids to play together. Our kids had a great time with their new "friends".

ITA, while our experience was not on a cruise but rather a land-based vacation, it was amazing to watch the kids play with each other even though they spoke a variety of languages...German, French, Spanish and English were amongst the group. Our first cruise had mainly English speaking children, but a few French speaking who fit in just fine.

Thank you all for reassuring comments!

I always thought that most countries taught their children their own language, English and at least one other language, making so many children bi and tri lingual. I guess I didn't realize that they might not speak any English at all. Is this standard in your school system? I always thought the US schools are terribly remiss in not having a more immersive foreign language program for our kids, believing that most other countries are better at schooling their kids in English and other languages.

Is this more common than I thought?

Here in Finland children typically start learning a foreign language at the age of 9. So our 11 year old just started third year of English studies and second year of German studies at school, and will probably somehow manage with English, but is not yet able to engage in discussions in English.

Our 9 year old just had the first English class this week, and the 8 year old only knows some words (that has heard when the older kids do their homework).

EDIT: English is the most commonly studied foreign language at school here in Finland, but it is not obligatory, and some start their foreign language studies at the age of 9 with e.g. Russian, German or French. One might go through the school years without ever having English classes.

I'll agree that My kids have found that "playtime" is a universal language.

That said, helping your kids understand a few phrases will make it more comforting to them (e.g., my name is..., where are the toilets, can you call my mom, stuff like that.).

An funny story, we were checking in for our Epic cruise, and next to us was a family from Finland who didn't speak any English (older couple.). They lucked out as my mom was on the other side of me checking in, and she is from Finland. She was able to help them understand the forms. Finnish is a tough language for English speakers (or any Latin based language.)

Hi,

I used to be a supervisor in the kids crew on NCl. Your kids will do great, if they are willing to be out of their comfort zone, language wise. I loved having children with different abilites in the program. And you would be amazed, some of the workers speak many languages. And kids seem to be able to create a language of their own.

It is very common to have non-English speaking children/adults on board. I agree a few short phrases would be helpful to your children, bathroom, call, time. I have also just got the parents to tell their children what my hand signs are those words. So they could just use their hands and not worry about saying it right or wrong.

Have a great cruise!

Hi,

I used to be a supervisor in the kids crew on NCl. Your kids will do great, if they are willing to be out of their comfort zone, language wise. I loved having children with different abilites in the program. And you would be amazed, some of the workers speak many languages. And kids seem to be able to create a language of their own.

It is very common to have non-English speaking children/adults on board. I agree a few short phrases would be helpful to your children, bathroom, call, time. I have also just got the parents to tell their children what my hand signs are those words. So they could just use their hands and not worry about saying it right or wrong.

Have a great cruise!

Heyyy don't be a stranger to our family board! I am sure there are TONS of questions that you could answer around here! :D

WELCOME!!!!!

Archived