Houston to Galveston 1 day early...help

Joie

We would like to sail on the Magic next year, but always arrive a day or 2 early. What is the best way to get to Galveston when arriving a day early? Also hotel recommendations for one that is close to port or provides transportation to pier.

Thank you in advance.

Have you looked at the gulf port departure threads

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=414

.. many hotels are discussed. I would read thru that and make your own choices. Are you flying or driving?

I might want a cheapie hotel and you want a expensive one. Harbor House is a favorite, but its not cheap. It is right next to the port and you can walk over.

Do you want free parking, need a shuttle or what?

We would like to sail on the Magic next year, but always arrive a day or 2 early. What is the best way to get to Galveston when arriving a day early? Also hotel recommendations for one that is close to port or provides transportation to pier.

Thank you in advance.

Can't help you wife the transport as we always drive to port when we sail from Galveston, but I can help with the hotel.

There are several hotels on Galveston Island that offer shuttle services to the port if you stay at the hotel. Depending on the time of year you plan on going, the price will vary a bit. Check a hotel travel site and search for Galveston hotels and any that offer the cruise shuttle will most likely mention it in their hotel descriptions. For the return side, you can always book the cruise line transport (one way) back to the airport. Or there are also hotels that will let you park you car for a week at the hotel and shuttle you to and from the port. I have never checked the prices but if you need transport to and from the airport, it may work out to be cheaper to rent a car from the airport for the week and park it at the hotel for free and then drop it at the airport on the return, but you would need to check on the costs versus a limo/taxi ride and the cruise line transport.

I apologize for the short info......we are flying into Houston....and will not want a cheap hotel at all. Something around or less than $150 per night.

I would read thru the above link I posted. I know Holiday Inn has a shuttle to the port and two locations. Depending on the season, Harbor House might be in your price range. Check hotwire since you dont need to park.

I stayed at Quality Inn and Suites Beachfront .. but a lot of the hotels are along Sea Wall, including both Holidays Inns. I like SeaWall so I can walk to stuff and walk along the beach on the walkway which is about 3 miles at least.

We VERY highly recommend San Luis Resort hotel on Seawall Blvd.

Enjoyed it immensely about 6 years ago. Get a room with balcony, on a high floor, overlooking the Gulf. The view is spectacular.

Rooms are large and comfy.

The steak house on lobby level is awesome. And now beat the drums..........................................you and family will find one thing beyond-belief-GREAT:

The gigantic elegant heated pool, which is kept open until very late at night. Fun, fun, and more fun.

At what we think was priced very reasonably.......you'll never forget this hotel. It's not just a "room"....it's a memorable experience !!!!!

My wife and I always go a day early on these cruises. A couple of years back, we flew into Houston's Hobby airport and rented a car from Enterprise. We then drove to Galveston and had a car to see the sights and go to any restaurant we wanted to. We stayed at the Tremont Hotel which is pretty close to the Port, but pricery than some. On the day of the cruise, I simply drove to the Galveston Enterprise office and dropped off the car. They then drove me back the short distance to the Tremont. We gathered our luggage and took the Tremont's free shuttle to the ship. A pretty simple process.

Enjoyed it immensely about 6 years ago. Get a room with balcony, on a high floor, overlooking the Gulf. The view is spectacular.

The steak house on lobby level is awesome. And now beat the drums..........................................you and family will find one thing beyond-belief-GREAT:

The gigantic elegant heated pool, which is kept open until very late at night. Fun, fun, and more fun.

At what we think was priced very reasonably.......you'll never forget this hotel. It's not just a "room"....it's a memorable experience !!!!!

quality inn and suites beachfront I mentioned is the other hotel with a indoor pool and it also has balconys.

In fact when I was there in january some guys had their BBQ pit going right outside the indoor pool and were having a ball down there.

To check out Galveston go to Galveston dot com

Do you want a hotel on the beach, near the Strand (historic district) or there's Moody Gardens which has a lot to offer. The Forums at Carnival dot com also have a lot of info available.

There are only two hotels downtown, The Tremont and Harbor House. All the others are on Seawall Blvd of which most offer transporation to the port which is not far at all. Galveston at its widest is 2 miles!

There are no hotels that offer transportation from the airports.

Taxis are inexpensive on the island.

My wife and I always go a day early on these cruises. A couple of years back, we flew into Houston's Hobby airport and rented a car from Enterprise. We then drove to Galveston and had a car to see the sights and go to any restaurant we wanted to. We stayed at the Tremont Hotel which is pretty close to the Port, but pricery than some. On the day of the cruise, I simply drove to the Galveston Enterprise office and dropped off the car. They then drove me back the short distance to the Tremont. We gathered our luggage and took the Tremont's free shuttle to the ship. A pretty simple process.

Well, SADLY Enterprise closes at noon and Saturday and is NOT open to return a car on Sunday..... bummer!

• 2 weeks later...

We found Crountry Inn that provides airport shuttle servce to hotel then shuttle service to and from the cruise port. They also offer breakfast.

Hellow all, The hotel package that I found is from Country Inn 8778 Airport Blvd

Houston, TX 77061

713-943-2700 They offer free shuttle service from airport, shuttles service in the evening to resturants and shuttle to and from cruise port. It is a great deal

I agree if you want to be where the action is!

I think since the Miracle will be leaving on Sundays when she ports in Galveston, it is going to create a huge problem for people coming in the day before. We are in the same boat (no pun intended!) as we are going on the BC5 cruise in March, flying into Houston on Saturday and then having to figure out how to get to Galveston. The ship doesn't sail until Sunday so the cruise line can't provide transportation for those of us coming in a day early. I'm really hoping the car rental places figure all this out before March and realize they need to allow drop offs for Sunday so people coming in early can rent a car, drive over to the island and see the sites then drop the car off before boarding on Sundays.

Another problem with a lot of the hotels on the Seawall (San Luis, Hilton, Holiday Inn) is that they've recently imposed a 2-night minimum stay for weekend nights.

Depends on the season as there is no hard and fast rule or if there are special events that weekend.

I check Hotels.com when we travel and have come up with some great rates in popular places on weekends.

I had the same problem a few months ago when I started researching. I ended up San Luis Resort. We booked it for 2 nites. It was a decent price. The other one had major bad reviews about people following them in the parking lot. We also get free shuttle next door at the Hilton.Just pay tip. I gave up on car rentals. It was a joke. Wrote to them and never heard back. Prices were so high with taxes. I have never heard of a car place closed on Sunday. One place I got quoted was about $75.00 per peron for shuttle. Found a town car for a little more. If you need it, I can find it in my records. Going to try Galveston once. If it is like all the problems, then we will be headed back to Florida. We cruise out of Ft Lauderedale,Miami and Cocoa Beach. I am sorry but those 3 ports in all the times we cruised were so much easier. I try everything once. We will see in a few months. I just love the new ships.

Galveston Cruiser: Sorry, I meant to say the Magic. We aren't interested in a shuttle if at all possible as we would have no transportation for Saturday to see any of the island. I was writing my post to point out that the car rental companies aren't open after noon on Saturday and they are closed on Sunday - therefore there isn't a way for people that come in a day early to rent a car to go to Galveston.

Archived