First Time Cruising - Leaving from NE in February

peggy924

Hi All -

I have never take a cruise before but want to plan something for February break with me, my husband, 4 year old and 6 year old. We were considering Disney but decided against it because it is rather pricey.

Has any one left from NY/NJ or Baltimore in the Winter months? How is it? I am afraid the first day or two would be rough!

We are considering Royal Caribbean's Enchantment of the Sea which leaves from Baltimore and goes to Port Canaveral, Key West, and 2 stops in Bahamas.

Norwegian Cruise Line also has the Gem and the Jewel leave from NY.

Can anyone give me the insight on these lines (or other cruise lines) that are family friendly and leave from a NE location in February?

Thanks so much!

The seas can be rough (or not) anytime of the year...even in the Caribbean! What I'd worry more about is the temperature! If you're on a 7 nighter, you're going to waste about a total of 3 of your days (coming and going combined) in less than warm temps! No pool weather upon boarding!

That's why I'd much rather cruise out of a warm weather port in the middle of winter...I'd hate to spend money to be in cold weather almost 1/2 of my trip!

I've been looking into this option also- the thing that is holding me up is the possibility of a blizzard near or on the departure date. Last winter was brutal here in the northeast.

My sister who has special needs lives with me and she isn't able to fly. That's why we tried cruising because NY is a 2 hr drive from home.

My kids are happy anywhere but I think I will look into their April vacation instead- less chance of a snow storm.

I've been looking into this option also- the thing that is holding me up is the possibility of a blizzard near or on the departure date. Last winter was brutal here in the northeast.

My sister who has special needs lives with me and she isn't able to fly. That's why we tried cruising because NY is a 2 hr drive from home.

My kids are happy anywhere but I think I will look into their April vacation instead- less chance of a snow storm.

That sounds like a great plan.

I can't wait to cruise from the Northeast, but would not do it in winter for all the reasons CB said. As soon as I board I want to hit the pool!

I can't wait to cruise from the Northeast

You are so like me. We have all of these ships in the North East - yet we keep heading South. ;)

Driving to the port in Baltimore was the easiest cruise ever for me. NYC is a close 2nd. I like the ambiance of a NYC sailaway so I am more willing to drive a little further to get there. :D

Archived