Private Tours vs Ship's Shore Excursion

Steeler Transplant

I've been researching the cruise ports' tours for our December Panama Canal partial cruise. I contacted Dora regarding a private tour in Cartagena, and was surprised to learn that the cost would be $135 per person for a 4 to 4.5 hour tour. Princess offers a 4.5 hour highlights of Cartagena, Fortress & Las Bovedas shore excursion at $59 per person. Is it really worth the extra $79 for a private tour? Her price includes "monument tickets. . LaPopa & San Pedro Claver Church, transportation, tour guide, and port fee." The price drops to $85 per person for a group of 4; $65 for 6, and $55 for 8. She pointed out that we could "find others" on cruise critic. Our son and daughter-in-law may decide to join us on this tour.

I've also sent an e-mail to JJ about a private tour, but have not hear back from him as yet.

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions.

We did a private tour with JJ in April 2010 and, at the time, I thought that the price (over $100 per person for 2 people) was a lot of money to spend on a tour. But it turned out to be money well-spent. We got to go to La Popa Monastery (which the big ship tours can't do because the roads up there are too narrow for the large buses.) JJ led us inside one of the underground tunnels at the Forteza de San Felipe, which the big tours can't do because the tunnels can only accommodate a few people. He also took us up to a space on the 2nd floor of the San Pedro Claver church where there were no tourists and we had a great view of the nave. We got a lot of personal attention that we would not have gotten on a ship's tour and we got to go exactly where we wanted to go. (We specifically asked JJ not to take us to any shops and he didn't.) As a result of this excellent tour, Cartegena turned out to be our favorite port visit on our cruise.

It was definitely worth the extra money to us NOT to be dragged through Las Bovedas or any other shopping area and to be able to have a good conversation with a local. (My DH is very interested in Colombian history and politics and JJ was happy to answer all his questions.)

If you just want an overview of Cartegena, to see a few of the sights and do some shopping, then the ship's tour should work out fine for you. If you have a keen interest in Cartegena and want to see and do more, then a private (or semi-private) tour with Dora or JJ is definitely worthwhile.

The key is that when you are only taking 2 you are paying for the privilege of not being around other people. You are making up for what the tour operator would otherwise make with a full vehicle. The price is not about the tour but the exclusivity.

Just post on your roll call with a description of the tour and I'm sure you'll have takers and get the rate for 6 or 8. It still beats being on a big bus with 40 to 60 people.

• 3 weeks later...

Over on our Roll Call for the Equinox visiting Cartagena in March next year a fellow cruiser has organised a tour with Claudia Vidal which sounds really good and we have signed up for that.The price is similar to the private tours mentioned above and the per person rate goes down the larger the group. I think that the maximum is 10 people. You can find out more at her website or by e-mailing her. I saw some good reviews for her services, I think on TripAdvisor...

http://toursclaudiavidal.com/en/services.htm

claudia@toursclaudiavidal.com

I've been researching the cruise ports' tours for our December Panama Canal partial cruise. I contacted Dora regarding a private tour in Cartagena, and was surprised to learn that the cost would be $135 per person for a 4 to 4.5 hour tour. Princess offers a 4.5 hour highlights of Cartagena, Fortress & Las Bovedas shore excursion at $59 per person. Is it really worth the extra $79 for a private tour? Her price includes "monument tickets. . LaPopa & San Pedro Claver Church, transportation, tour guide, and port fee." The price drops to $85 per person for a group of 4; $65 for 6, and $55 for 8. She pointed out that we could "find others" on cruise critic. Our son and daughter-in-law may decide to join us on this tour.

I've also sent an e-mail to JJ about a private tour, but have not hear back from him as yet.

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions.

We toured withDora in March. It was worth every dollar. It is a totally different experience being one of eight people vs one of 45 on a bus. Dora was fantastic and very knowledgeable . Trust me you will fill a group if you post the tour on your roll call.

• 2 weeks later...

Back in March we took "Deluxe Cartagena and Fortress" tour offered by Royal Carribean and visited everything including underground tunnels at the Forteza de San Felipe. The tour guide was very professional.

Frankly speaking I do not see any sense in taking private tour instead of what cruise company offers. In our case RCI was responsible for tour. They check tour operators. And the guide has to show you everything according to the program. With the private tour guide it is hit or miss. You do not know what in fact he has to show. It is up to him. I am not talking about time issues now: e.g. missing departure time etc...

i have taken both ship tours and organized private tours for 8-10 people. to decide I research the port and area and decide what I want to do and see.

I pick ship tours sometimes for their length and their price. guides on the ship tours are very knowledgable, oftentimes they are historians or art experts. Other times, we take a ship tour that is just a bus to a place with free time and pickup later.

Private tours I do have a guide not just a driver. I want someone who can go into the historical site, museum etc and give a guided tour. The last guided tour I did was for 10 people at Ephesus turkey.It cost each of us $50 USD.

Whatever you chose do your research first and then go on you roll call and either organize one or join a group.

I will be doing a full transit on Celebrity in Dec 2012, so have lots of time to follow these posts and do my research.:)

• 4 weeks later...

Sailed on the Island Princess Oct 10th, Panama Canal. Would recommend JJ Tours for a private tour in Limon, Costa Rica. 14 of us spent a full day with JJ. He was an excellent tour guide and planned our day perfectly. Also definitely saved $ over the cruise ship excursions. JJ was great with answering all our pre tour questions via e-mail. We would definitely use him again. He can be reached @ joiner72@hotmail.com.

edit.gif quote.gif

Archived