Australia advice requested

Just thought I would follow up. I did end up leaving my job with Princess Cruises and we are planning to spend 4 weeks visiting the Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane area. My hubby is now in Melbourne and is getting settled into his apartment which is located in the Docklands. He is right across from the Stadium, has a lovely water view of a marina and most importantly, walking distance to Costco. :D He is finding the locals to be friendly and I think he will enjoy himself once he gets acclimated.

Just thought I would follow up. I did end up leaving my job with Princess Cruises and we are planning to spend 4 weeks visiting the Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane area. My hubby is now in Melbourne and is getting settled into his apartment which is located in the Docklands. He is right across from the Stadium, has a lovely water view of a marina and most importantly, walking distance to Costco. :D He is finding the locals to be friendly and I think he will enjoy himself once he gets acclimated.

Thanks for checking in...worked for Princess eh! You can let us have all the insider information! Locals are very friendly...one of the things we did not mention was that Melbourne has one of the most exciting cuisines in the world wonderful restaurants from cultures all over the world..I am sure you will enjoy your stay in OZ. Please let us know if there is any other help we can assist you with...as I said we are a friendly bunch.:D

Thank you! I am getting excited, but also overwhelmed since hubby wants me to plan our "excursions" to the other cities. Just sent him our passport information so the office assistant at his work can get our plane tickets. Seems to be really happening. :eek:

• 2 months later...

In case anyone is interested, we are in Australia and having a great time.

We have been here for 2 weeks and just love the Melbourne area. We spent 4 days in Sydney and saw all of the major attractions. Our favorites were the Opera House tour and just hanging out at Darling Harbour. We have 2 more weeks and we will just be touring the Melbourne area.

lovely to hear from you Jennifer. I suggest a visit to Melbourne Zoo unless you have seen Sydney zoo. You will not only see the usual zoo animals but also the aussie wildlife, easier than a trip up to Healesville sanctuary. I'm sure hubby's co workers have given you a lot of places to visit. Hope you have enjoyed aussie Christmas today. I havent been this year but the crown hotel on southbank usually has a great Christmas display better IMHO than the Myer windows. I have taken OS visitors on a day trip from the city, to St Kilda for coffee then down the mornington peninsula and across and down to Phillip Island for the penguin parade. A long day but can be fitted in ok.

Sandielle, Thanks for the Christmas wishes. I hope you are having a good holiday as well. Unfortunately we are having a major lightening storm and have been stuck inside. It looks like it might be clearing. Just in time for the Spirit of Tasmania (or her sister, can't tell) to leave. We have a great view of the Melbourne cruise terminal and I am watching her leave right now. We should have the Dawn Princess in port tomorrow.

Tara Jane, Thanks for the suggestions. In Sydney we saw the Aquarium and Wildlife center in Darling Harbour so we didn't see a true zoo. We were going to try the Taronga zoo but it was a rather rainy few days while we were there. So, we are planning to see Maru out by Healesville because my hubby has already been there and enjoyed it. We are also planning to see St. Kilda, the 12 Apostles and the Melbourne Aquarium as well. Those are the only items on our to do list at the moment. I will look into the Melbourne Zoo and Mornington Peninsula. We do have a hire car so transportation won't be an issue.

Can I suggest, since you have transport, a trip on the "puffing billy" little steam train up in the mountains....I will post a link to the information..a lovely way to see some countryside and different Australian sights.

Please drive carefully...remembering you are used to the "wrong" side of the road from us.

Glad you are having a good time..hope the weather improves and turns on some sunshine for you. Save the Barrier Reef for another time at this time of the year cyclones are in the area and it makes the water cloudy not the best time of year to visit.

Both your husband and family are so lucky that he has been selected for a position at Fisherbend in Melbourne .

You will all enjoy your Australian experience . Most Americans just love life downunder and say that it far more laid back than life in the States. We have a high number of Americans who have come to Aus for a short job appointment like the one you outline, and opted to stay here with many carrying dual citizenship . An appointment to Melbourne should be regarded as a great catch as the city is very European in style with a great lifestyle, the sporting capital of Australia, and a vibrant performing Arts Complex .

On your trip to Melbourne with you family consider : Royal Melbourne Zoo,

Puffing Billy in the Dandenong Ranges, National Gallery of Victoria (2 sights), Victoria Market, Great Ocean Road, Sovereign Hill at Ballarat, and Melbourne is Australia's shopping and fashion capital .

If your'e here over Summer between December & March you can do a 14 night round cruise from Melbourne on Dawn Princess to New Zealand .

Archived