Australia advice requested

Hello All!

We, my hubby, me and my 2 children are from Washington State, USA. My hubby works for the major airplane manufacturer and has just learned he was chosen to work in the Melbourne plant for 6 months. He starts the end of September. My children and I will be able to visit, courtesy of the company, for as long as we wish. We plan to spend about 3-4 weeks at Christmas time.

So, my questions are:

What advice do you all have for my hubby to make his time more enjoyable?

What are some not to miss things to do in Melbourne and surrounding areas?

What are some products or experiences that are uniquely Aussie that we should be aware of?

We are super excited for our Aussie adventure and look forward to reading your thoughts.

Hi Jennifer, I hope you enjoy your time here. Sorry I can't help you with Melbourne - have only seen it from the deck of a ship - but I'm sure many people will help you out. I believe it is a beautiful city and there will be lots for you to do in the surrounding area. :)

Regards

Sandy

PS: Should I mention Vegemite? :D And, of course, the different wildlife.

You must be excited about the big move...six months in Aussie. Well I am not sure in what area you will be living but in any case it would no be too far from Melbourne CBD.

There are a few things you should definately put on your list and by the way you are coming over for the best time of year in southern Australia.

Visit the city centre and travel on a melbourne tram to st. kilda where you will find a lively cafe society with great food, coffee and cake and nice views of the bay.

Take in at least one AFL (Australian Football) lively and exciting.

Go to Port Phillip to see the fairy penguins come onto the beach each evening.

Take a weekend drive along the Great Ocean Road...wonderful scenery and history of shipwrecks..as well as great surfing beaches.

Visit Melbourne Zoo.

Take the puffing billy train up into the Dandenong Ranges.

If you have time take the ferry over to Tasmania for a look at Australias very early history...easy driving you can take the car or hire one over there.

Theres a few for you to google and check out. I hope you are going to have a little holiday at the end of your stay to check out Sydney!:)

Thanks so much for some great ideas. I will definitely be doing some googling. Just wasn't even sure where to start. :) The company will be providing an apartment and a hire car for him, just not sure where the apartment will be located yet. He just found out Friday morning that he was one of the chosen for this assignment.

Welcome in advance to Australia.

We are known throughout the world as a friendly "bunch" and at least we speak the same language - although with a slightly different accent. And we do drive on the "other" side of the road.

Unfortunately, I don't know a lot about Melbourne, having only visited briefly a couple of times, but Rugbypopsie's suggestions all sound great.

It will be high summer when you are here, so plenty of daylight for doing whatever you choose to do. By the way, I think you will love our great beaches.

Enjoy your time "downunder" !!!

Just thought of something else (its a while since I lived in Melbourne)...you should visit the Queen Victoria Markets...they have EVERYTHING from gourmet food, meat, fruit and vegies to souvenirs, and toys a great day out they date back to the late 1800's

not sure of the opening hours...google will tell you but certainly every weekend and they are undercover.

Melbourne is very cosmopolitan with great theatres, restaurants, museums and art galleries.

I am a "died in the wool sydneysider" come on you Melburnians help me out here...

p.s. you should make time to visit Sydney too.

Hmmm...Melbourne I'm trying to think what I did when I was over that way that was fun (appart from drink ;))...The Mornington Peninsular is pretty nice and so is the is Wilsons Prom, the Great Ocean Road is a must Lorne is a nice spot..If you get time, try to get up into the hinterland of Lorne very nice up there...ohh you must try Vegemite as was suggested :D

Learn to look both ways when crossing the road and watch out for the Trams. Also if your husband is going to drive in the city. Learn about the hook turns.

Go to the Botantical Gardens. Melbourne has great parks and walking along the Yarra is wonderful especially early in the morning when the rowers are out.

Melbourne is very much a food capital. Great food and coffee. Very cosmopolitan - you can eat very any type of food here.

I always enjoy the Melbourne Museum and the Art Gallery of Victoria, if you like that sort of thing! Also the Aquarium in Melbourne would be good for your children.

I also agree with the other suggestions, there is some great things to do in Melbourne.

I am a country girl and live about 3 hours drive west of Melbourne, so I am going to fly the Regional Victoria flag here:D. You really must get out of Melbourne and check out some of our wide brown land ...

Don't miss spending a couple of days in Ballarat, in the heart of the Goldfields. Sovereign Hill is a must and a very full day if you try to do it all in one day. The Grampians are also stunning, and right on my doorstep, not that I am biased:p.

So here is a sample itinerary for a 4-5 days of sight seeing ... Start with a drive from Melbourne to Port Campbell (or Warrnambool) via the Great Ocean Road (Lorne is my favourite spot for excellent food and shopping, but you are really doing this part of the trip for the coastline), then up through Western Victoria - the lush farmlands are home to our famous fine wool industry - to Halls Gap in the heart of the Grampians (stop for lunch at the 'Royal Mail' Hotel in Dunkeld - a foodies delight). Do a bushwalk or two while in Halls Gap, and check out the Pomonal Zoo for a range of wildlife from Australia and all over the world. Then back to Melbourne via Ballarat (allow a couple of days to check out Ballarat, especially Sovereign Hill).

That should keep you busy, and you get to see some of our beautiful coastline, mountains and countryside.:)

Cheers,

Carina

Just thought of something else (its a while since I lived in Melbourne)...you should visit the Queen Victoria Markets...they have EVERYTHING from gourmet food, meat, fruit and vegies to souvenirs, and toys a great day out they date back to the late 1800's

not sure of the opening hours...google will tell you but certainly every weekend and they are undercover.

One of my sons visited Melbourne recently and was VERY impressed with these markets. He thinks they deserve another visit. :D

Do not make the mistake of staying in Melbourne/Victoria alone!!!! It's a great country and there is heaps to see and do. You can zip away for weekends with your hubby as well and do the Melbourne thing during the week when he's at work!

That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it! :D

Thanks for all of your replies. Since the kids and I will only have about 3 weeks we really do need to have plans. We do plan to have a short get a way to Sydney if we can manage during the Christmas holiday time.

My kids will be in school and on winter break which is only 2 weeks and then we will pull them from school for another week or two in early December. My son is in 8th grade and my daughter in 5th. I am still waiting to find out what I am going to do with my job as well. I put in for a leave of absence so who knows how that will go?

Thanks for all of your replies. Since the kids and I will only have about 3 weeks we really do need to have plans. We do plan to have a short get a way to Sydney if we can manage during the Christmas holiday time.

My kids will be in school and on winter break which is only 2 weeks and then we will pull them from school for another week or two in early December. My son is in 8th grade and my daughter in 5th. I am still waiting to find out what I am going to do with my job as well. I put in for a leave of absence so who knows how that will go?

Things to do in Sydney.....

Have a swim at Bondi beach...while you are there do the Bondi to Bronte walk along the cliff tops.

Take a ferry ride to Manly have fish and chips on the beach and walk around to Fairy Bower.

See Darling Harbour and wildlife world...the kids would like a jetboat ride on Sydney Harbour...mine particularly enjoyed me throwing up.

Tour the Sydney Opera House. Take the kids to Luna Park on the Harbour.

Visit Centrepoint Tower in the city you can see for miles all around the Harbour while you are there do the 3D ride which shows you all the bits of Australia you are probably not going to see.

Sydney like most major cities can be expensive at Christmas time..for accommodation we had a good time with the kids staying at Narrabeen Caravan park in a self contained villa...its only a bus ride from Manly and then the ferry over to the city.

I hope you manage to get a leave of absence from work...that must be a worry.

Just in case you were not aware, Australian Summer school holidays go from mid December through to the end of January, so having plans is good. For any trips you plan, you may need to book your accommodation in advance if you want to have a choice about where you stay, otherwise many of the places we have mentioned will have limited vacancies or may be booked out, especially coastal areas.

Also, if your kids are into rides/carnivals there is a Luna Park in Melbourne you can visit, in St Kilda.

As a teacher, I probably shouldn't suggest what I am about to ;) ... but this is a fabulous opportunity for you and your kids, and a couple of weeks out of school is nothing compared to the educational experience of visiting another country and immersing them in another culture. I say don't stress too much about them missing school and apply for as many weeks leave as you can wrangle/afford:).

Cheers,

Carina

Just in case you were not aware, Australian Summer school holidays go from mid December through to the end of January, so having plans is good. For any trips you plan, you may need to book your accommodation in advance if you want to have a choice about where you stay, otherwise many of the places we have mentioned will have limited vacancies or may be booked out, especially coastal areas.

Also, if your kids are into rides/carnivals there is a Luna Park in Melbourne you can visit, in St Kilda.

As a teacher, I probably shouldn't suggest what I am about to ;) ... but this is a fabulous opportunity for you and your kids, and a couple of weeks out of school is nothing compared to the educational experience of visiting another country and immersing them in another culture. I say don't stress too much about them missing school and apply for as many weeks leave as you can wrangle/afford:).

Cheers,

Carina

Carina,

My hubby and I totally agree that this is an experience of a lifetime especially since the company is paying for us to go. :D We will pull them for as long as possible, but since my son is in 8th grade and in the more advanced math and science classes at a private school, it will be stressful for him. My daughter, who also attends the same private school, is perfectly willing to drop out of school, be homeschooled and spend the entire 6 months in Aus. with dad. Now, to find a balance of the two. ;) I would just quit my job since I am only part time, but I work for a cruise line and I don't want to lose my cruise benefits. :eek: Decisions, decisions....

Carina,

My hubby and I totally agree that this is an experience of a lifetime especially since the company is paying for us to go. :D We will pull them for as long as possible, but since my son is in 8th grade and in the more advanced math and science classes at a private school, it will be stressful for him. My daughter, who also attends the same private school, is perfectly willing to drop out of school, be homeschooled and spend the entire 6 months in Aus. with dad. Now, to find a balance of the two. ;) I would just quit my job since I am only part time, but I work for a cruise line and I don't want to lose my cruise benefits. :eek: Decisions, decisions....

Hahaha easlily fixed then !! cruise around Australia while hubby works - :p

And Tassie would be a must see - you can get really cheap air fares from Melbourne or catch the ferry and bring the car (as has been mentioned before) - my DH works in Melbourne and it is one of my favourite cities but there is nothing like Tasmania for beautiful scenery.

One thought I had when reading your above comment if you put your son into maths tutoring while he was here so he wouldnt get behind you may be more comfortable about staying longer. There is a company called Kip McGrath (i hope I spelt that right) that do private and group tutoring and they are very reasonable.

Decisions, decisions....the chance to immerse yourself in a different culture and environment is worth millions...perhaps your son could enrol locally that combined with tutoring (as the levels may be different) would keep him ontop of everything? Work might give you a leave of absence...and your daughter could attend a local school or do distance education and be home schooled. I grew up in an Air Force family...lots of moves..lots of schools...what I gained from that experience is confidence to fit in anywhere I dont think there was much of a downside apart from loss of long time friends, now I try to make friends everywhere.....honestly I would be more worried about being separated from my children for so long.

• 3 weeks later...

@ cruisinears

Melbourne is a great city and you will find everything you could want

I lved and worked there for 20 years.

I call it - "My City by the Bay":D - but the beaches are OH Hum!! - :(

For the kid and to see a little bit more of OZ - than that suggested by the Victorians - and If you take the suggestions of extending their School leave - think about taking a trip to The Gold Coast in Queensland. The airfares are not too expensive

It isnt called that for nothing - Golden Beaches - and Theme parks to rival anywhere in the World - I live there.:D

Have a great time in OZ - and your hubby will find lots of things to do when you are not there ;) - and I was a frequent visitor to the A/C factory where he will work ----- well I did 20 years ago - when they were doing Boeing work for the 747

If the company are paying his accom. expenses - I suggest an apartment in Harbourtown:rolleyes:

Ooohhh - new people to Australia -how exciting !!

A couple of things ... I'm a Sydney girl now but once was a Melbourne girl ....

Definitely savour Melbourne - there is great rivalry between Sydney and Melbourne. Melbourne claims to be the Fashion Capital, the Coffee Capital, the Culture Capital etc, but in reality you'll find all that and more in both cities.

There is a free tram that "loops" around the central business district of Melbourne so you can get on and off when you want. And I think Melbourne has a better / cheaper public transport ticket system too.

I agree that the Queen Vic Markets are great - well they were last time I was there.

There are "pockets" in Mlebourne where various nationalities settled. When I was younger, Lygon Street Carlton used to be reknown for Italian restaurants and cafes etc - I think it still is.

Outside of Greece, Melbourne has the largest Greek community.

Chinatown is in the Central Business are - can't recall which streets, but if you use Google Maps you will find it easily enough.

Ackland St, St Kilda - yummy cakes - OMG !!

The Fitzroy - or maybe they are called the Treasury - Gardens are lovely with Captain Cook's original cottage which was moved out from Yorkshire, UK, and there is also a great Conservatory as well as the "Fairy Tree" where some clever artisan carved fairies etc in to the trunk of a tree and another point of interest is the John F Kennedy Memorial which is very nice and peaceful.

MCG - Melbourne Cricket Ground - must watch a cricket match when in Melbourne. Summer - officially 1st December to end Feb - is when cricket is played and "Aussie Rules" football has Melbournians as arguably its most rabid fans - the season will start again in Feb ??

Melbourne is also well known for shopping, shopping and more shopping.

And at Christmas time, when I was young a trip to see the Myers Christmas windows was a MUST !!

Speaking of Christmas, that's when the longest school break is in Australia - around mid December to the end of January so finding accommodation on short notice anywhere may be hard, and if you want to come to Sydney for New Year's Eve to see the fireworks spectacle, then forget trying to get accommodation at a reasonable price - bookings are made 12 months in advance. No doubt some hotels don't sell all the rooms, but with a (usuall) 3 nigh minimum, it can be very exxie.

Another thing you'll need to get used to is we have a lot of public holidays - at least 10 days that I can think of - New Years Day, Australia Day, Easter (Good Friday and Easter Monday), Anzac Day, Queens Birthday, Labour Day, Melbourne Cup Day for those in Melbourne, Christmas Day, Boxing Day.

Definitely go further afield - take a couple of days to go around the coastal road - Great Ocean Road ... you may want to continue on and go to Kangaroo Island where the kids and you will see wildlife.

If you like wine, head up to Rutherglen (about 2 1/2 hours north) and spend a night or two at Beechworth ... or go to wineries closer to Melbourne.

Also, don't forget Tripadvisor - have a look at the FAQs etc - they are very helpful.

Finally what must you REALLY know?

Well, we have a quaint turn of phrase here ... we tend to shorten all our words and add an "ie" on the end, such as BBQ becomes "Barbie", a small run-about aluminium boat is a "Tinnie" ... as is a can of beer !! This will keep you amused for a while - http://www.koalanet.com.au/australian-slang.html

Oh and one other thing - we have the "tall poppy syndrome here" - we're in love with someone one minute ... but when they get too big for their boots, we cut them back to size.

That's about it for now...I hope I haven't confused you !! Welcome !!

Dougo thanks so much for the ideas. They are really helpful. We are planning to fly up to Sydney for a couple of days, I really want to go to the Cairns area and take an excursion to the GBR and if we can afford it, a trip to Uluru. I have so many items on my "must see" list, it is really hard to know what is worth the time and what is just ho hum tourist hype.

Dougo thanks so much for the ideas. They are really helpful. We are planning to fly up to Sydney for a couple of days, I really want to go to the Cairns area and take an excursion to the GBR and if we can afford it, a trip to Uluru. I have so many items on my "must see" list, it is really hard to know what is worth the time and what is just ho hum tourist hype.

No problems at all - glad to help.

In December January ??? It's tropical cyclone season in Cairns in Jan-Feb and the humidity can be oppressive at that time of year. A trip to Uluru in January would be very hot too. IMO, the best time to go to Uluru is around July-August and to Cairns, no later than October - but that's just my opinion - others may differ. If you are desperate to head north, think about the Whitsundays which is not as far north as Qld but you could snorkel, swim etc - I have no idea about the costs in December - January but you would be best making enquiries sooner rather than later.

Rather than head north, go to Tasmania which is a lovely state and easy to get around, and from Melbourne, you may be able to take your car on the Spirit of Tasmania - http://www.spiritoftasmania.com.au/experience-the-ship/sail-and-drive.html?source=sem&s_kwcid=TC|11803|%2Bdevenport||S|b|6976989055&gclid=CJDUtYnjt6sCFU1S4godGBqKfA

Many people make the mistake of trying to see all of Tasmania in a week - take your time as it's "worth it".

No problems at all - glad to help.

In December January ??? It's tropical cyclone season in Cairns in Jan-Feb and the humidity can be oppressive at that time of year. A trip to Uluru in January would be very hot too. IMO, the best time to go to Uluru is around July-August and to Cairns, no later than October - but that's just my opinion - others may differ. If you are desperate to head north, think about the Whitsundays which is not as far north as Qld but you could snorkel, swim etc - I have no idea about the costs in December - January but you would be best making enquiries sooner rather than later.

Rather than head north, go to Tasmania which is a lovely state and easy to get around, and from Melbourne, you may be able to take your car on the Spirit of Tasmania - http://www.spiritoftasmania.com.au/experience-the-ship/sail-and-drive.html?source=sem&s_kwcid=TC|11803|%2Bdevenport||S|b|6976989055&gclid=CJDUtYnjt6sCFU1S4godGBqKfA

Many people make the mistake of trying to see all of Tasmania in a week - take your time as it's "worth it".

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, we don't have a choice on when we travel to Aus. I will keep in my what you said and we may adjust our travel plans.

Archived