In transit at Madrid Barajas airport

t60

We´re flying from Heathrow to Madrid for a connecting flight to Rio from terminal 4 or 4S. Both flights are with Iberia.

Has any one had any experience of this flight, or even being <in transit> at Madrid airport?

Thanks

Sandy

Yes, we have been in transit at Madrid years ago. I believe it was 2004, when we were transiting from Miami to Amsterdam. What can I say? It's an airport. Nothing especially negative or positive.

We were supposed to fly Iberia all the way, but came in on a codeshare-flight of AA, and left for Amsterdam on KLM (our doing, not IBs, long story).

You will land at terminal 4 and depart from Terminal 4S. There's an automated train that runs between them. You might (check that, you will find it faster to take the lifts from the terminal levels to the train; the escalators take a long time.

Also note that you'll need to clear security in the process and that gates in T4/T4S can be a long, long walk from one another.

Otherwise, Barajas is one of our fave airports.

What circumstances does terminal 4 and terminal 4S apply to? We're transiting Madrid twice. The first time, we arrive from DFW and depart to Mallorca, on American Airlines. (and presumably, AA codeshare, probably Iberia)

The 2nd time, we arrive from Mallorca, and depart to Rome, on Air Europa, which had the best price tickets and we bought on our own. (I hope it's a good experience!)

What circumstances does terminal 4 and terminal 4S apply to? We're transiting Madrid twice. The first time, we arrive from DFW and depart to Mallorca, on American Airlines. (and presumably, AA codeshare, probably Iberia)

The 2nd time, we arrive from Mallorca, and depart to Rome, on Air Europa, which had the best price tickets and we bought on our own. (I hope it's a good experience!)

T4 has both Schengen (e.g. Spain < > Italy) and non-Schengen (e.g. UK < > Spain) flights, principally short-haul, as well as intra-Spain flights.

T4S hosts long-haul (non-Schengen) flights.

Note T4/T4S serves mainly Iberia Airlines and its Oneworld alliance partners; other airlines will use other terminals.

So on DFW-xMAD-PMI, you'll land at T4S, clear Spanish/Schengen immigration, transfer to T4 and take the domestic flight to Majorca. You'll collect your luggage and go through customs (walk through the green line) at Majorca.

On your Majorca > Rome route, I believe Air Europa uses Terminal 2 at Barajas.

Good info there, thanks!

Being in Alaska, we're big on the Alaska Air miles. They partner with American and the One World Sky Team, so we're definitely going to apply our Alaska mileage numbers whenever we can on this trip.

Good info there, thanks!

Being in Alaska, we're big on the Alaska Air miles. They partner with American and the One World Sky Team, so we're definitely going to apply our Alaska mileage numbers whenever we can on this trip.

Alaska partners with American and some other Oneworld alliance members (Qantas, British Airways, Lan and Cathay Pacific) and with some SkyTeam alliance members (Delta, KLM, Air France, Korean.) You can NOT use Alaska miles on trips involving more than one partner airline, so for example you could fly from the US to Spain on American Airlines via one of AA's gateways, or you could fly via London on British Airways, but you can't fly from the US to London on AA then on BA to Spain, or on Delta to London then BA to Spain, etc. Hope that makes sense.

Due to all the bad reports about Madrid airport, changing planes,dashing from T4 to T4S we have changed our flight. We now fly direct from London to Rio with BA.

Sandy in Spain

Due to all the bad reports about Madrid airport, changing planes,dashing from T4 to T4S we have changed our flight. We now fly direct from London to Rio with BA.

Sandy in Spain

The Madrid airport is still miles ahead of almost US Airports, I wouldn't have worried about it.

I had a great conversation once with a lady who loved how huge the Mall of America was, but disliked large airports. She never grasped the irony. There are probably those who love huge amusement parks and dislike ATL. Size, in and of itself, isn't bad.

I once had a connection in Panama City, Florida. Would much rather have spent that time in ATL, or even Panama City, Panama.

Archived