Which Eastern Carib cruise would you do summer 2012?

Wife and I are planning a cruise next summer for our 10 yr anniversary. We have three young kids in school and leaving them with grand parents during the school year won't work well so the summer is our only option. Unfortunately this means we don't have many choices either.

Freedom - Already booked an inside room departing 8/12 from Port Canaveral.

Oasis - Same route as Freedom except with Nassau instead of CocoCay (Pro/Con?). Like the idea of cruising out of Port Everglades instead of flying to MCO and renting a car to get to Port Canaveral. Not sure that I like how HUGE the ship is.

Explorer - 9 nights and a little more expensive. Really like the ports of call on this cruise but I'm a small town back country guy and flying into New York doesn't sit to well with me.

Thoughts? Which would you prefer to do?

Oh, and this will be our second cruise. Our first was a Western on the Grand Princess for our Honeymoon.

Explorer. We've done this cruse twice and have booked it again. Nice ports which are easy to navigate on your own. Excellent staff on Explorer.

You don't fly into NY. You fly into Liberty airport/Newark, NJ. The airport is not far from the port. Nice size ship.

Oasis - Same route as Freedom except with Nassau instead of CocoCay (Pro/Con?). Like the idea of cruising out of Port Everglades instead of flying to MCO and renting a car to get to Port Canaveral. Not sure that I like how HUGE the ship is.

While they're all great choices...

I would vote for Oasis. I, too, think flying into Orlando and then having to get over to Port Canaveral is a big pain. Flying into FLL and getting to the port is so quick and convenient. Also, there will be SO much for your children to do on Oasis.

That being said, you won't make a mistake with either of your other two choices. The Freedom class ships are my favorite and there will be a lot for your children (including a H20 Zone and Flowriders that the Explorer doesn't have). The Explorer is a great ship and the stops on the 9-night are wonderful. We did that cruise this year and are doing it again next year. The extra nights make the vacation feel so much longer.

While they're all great choices...

I would vote for Oasis. I, too, think flying into Orlando and then having to get over to Port Canaveral is a big pain. Flying into FLL and getting to the port is so quick and convenient. Also, there will be SO much for your children to do on Oasis.

That being said, you won't make a mistake with either of your other two choices. The Freedom class ships are my favorite and there will be a lot for your children (including a H20 Zone and Flowriders that the Explorer doesn't have). The Explorer is a great ship and the stops on the 9-night are wonderful. We did that cruise this year and are doing it again next year. The extra nights make the vacation feel so much longer.

Ok, guess I didn't clarify that the kids would be staying home with the grandparents. :D:D:D

We have a family trip to Disneyworld in the works for the following year.

Ok, guess I didn't clarify that the kids would be staying home with the grandparents. :D:D:D

Then it's an easier choice (for me anyway!), I'd go with the 9 night Explorer. Fly into Newark (EWR) and enjoy that itinerary, including those relaxing days at sea. The Freedom and Oasis will be great future cruises for you, particularly with the kids along to enjoy all they have to offer. Happy 10th anniversary! :)

Having never been on any of these I can't recommend it based on the ship... but as far as NYC goes, I'm a VERY small town gal (population 1,500) and my parents are both small town people (my dad grew up in a town with about 700 people). I got into a NYC college and decided to go there. My parents insisted on coming with me... and fell in love. Even after I graduated and left they continued making trips out to NYC. They just absolutely love it and were surprised by how non-overwhelming it really is. I don't think you'll have a problem with leaving from NY. Plus... 9 days?? I love the sound of that!

ETA: OK, I just read the other replies to realize that the port isn't even in the city! Jersey is just a bunch of small towns clustered together, you'll be fine!

Wife and I are planning a cruise next summer for our 10 yr anniversary. We have three young kids in school and leaving them with grand parents during the school year won't work well so the summer is our only option. Unfortunately this means we don't have many choices either.

Freedom - Already booked an inside room departing 8/12 from Port Canaveral.

Explorer - 9 nights and a little more expensive. Really like the ports of call on this cruise but I'm a small town back country guy and flying into New York doesn't sit to well with me.

Thoughts? Which would you prefer to do?

Oh, and this will be our second cruise. Our first was a Western on the Grand Princess for our Honeymoon.

I would choose Oasis for the experience of the ship! :)

I don't know if my thoughts will help, but we did an Southern Caribbean Cruise that left from San Juan, we really enjoyed it. I don't know how flying to San Juan compares with the cost of flying to MCO, but it could be something to keep in mind.

I've been on all 3 (well, Liberty instead of Freedom, but same thing) and my order of preference is:

Explorer - nice balance of port and sea days

Freedom - nice size ship...not too big, not too small

Oasis - while we had a great time, I'm not sure I'd cruise her again.

I don't know if my thoughts will help, but we did an Southern Caribbean Cruise that left from San Juan, we really enjoyed it. I don't know how flying to San Juan compares with the cost of flying to MCO, but it could be something to keep in mind.

I would love to do a Southern but as it stands right now there is no Southern itinerary for next Summer. Maybe things will change but who knows. :confused:

The OP is traveling next summer and while the southern Caribbean is wonderful and more exotic, sadly no sailings from San Juan are offered by Royal Caribbean all summer in 2012. :(

I would choose the Explorer. We've sailed it 2x and her sister ship 3x (Navigator), and have loved it each time. We've also done the Freedom twice which we really liked too, but of course, more people. Explorer is a great ship, big, but not too big and you won't be disappointed at all. Worth the hassle of a NY flight. Let us know what you decide. :)

Congrats on the 10th anniversary, any of the 3 will be wonderful. Only thing I would add, IMHO, move to an Oceanview from inside. We cruised in an inside cabin 1 time.

We are on FOS in 3 weeks, flying in a day early, so we did the rent car thing. But coming back did the RCCL transfer for $30 pp.

As others have said, Southern, if possible, would have been our 1st choice too.

Thanks for all of the replies. I think we are now leaning towards the Oasis now. Since we are technically already booked on the Freedom is there a way to transfer our booking to the Oasis cruise or do we have to cancel and then rebook? Can we do this online or do I need to call RCI?

Well, in that case, the Explorer would be a great option. The ports are great (you'll love Bermuda) and the 2 extra night are SO worth it!

Archived