Finally going on a CRUISE!!

Britty36

I posted on here several months ago about my family going on a cruise but that was canceled. We didn't think we'd have the money and my husband didn't want to go with the kids in case it was horrible! But now.....he wants to go on a cruise for his graduation present...just the 2 of us! YAY! So....we're trying to find a cruise through Carnival for the Bahamas or the Caribbean. We'll be going in December, a couple of days after his pinning ceremony (he is graduating RN school). I just wanted to share my happiness!!! Ohhhh......and does anyone know of any hotels around Miami, Mobile, Jacksonville, or Port Canaveral that will let you keep your car at the hotel and provide you with transportation to and from the port? Once we book and know our embarkation port, it'll be easier to find a hotel! But we can't book for another 2 weeks(that's when we're getting some extra money)!!

YAAAAAAAAY!:D:eek::D

Don't know where in Georgia you are from, so I figured I would add to the mix. We sailed the Fantasy from Charleston last month and had a great time. Took four kids, their spouses and two g'kids to celebrate our 25th.

Aww, I bet that was fun! We figured we'd take a cruise by ourselves first to see if we even like it. If we do, then we plan on taking a longer 7 night cruise around December or so of next year with the kids. We live in Bremen, GA so the only "close" ports to us are Charleston and Mobile but for the cruises we are looking at it seems that we'll probably be headed out of Port Canaveral, Jacksonville, or Miami. LOL and our car gets too good of gas mileage to justify flying to Miami....Good Lord, 12 hour drive!

Congratulations on your DH getting his pin for RN degree.

Had friends who took the Carnival cruise out of Charleston last year -- they live in SC and loved the easy ride to get there.

They had a great time.

Thanks so much! He is really excited about finally graduating! LOL so am I, I get my husband back for a month or 2 before he starts working!

Aww, I bet that was fun! We figured we'd take a cruise by ourselves first to see if we even like it. If we do, then we plan on taking a longer 7 night cruise around December or so of next year with the kids. We live in Bremen, GA so the only "close" ports to us are Charleston and Mobile but for the cruises we are looking at it seems that we'll probably be headed out of Port Canaveral, Jacksonville, or Miami. LOL and our car gets too good of gas mileage to justify flying to Miami....Good Lord, 12 hour drive!

It sure was nice to just have a little over three our drive to Charleston. Most of our trips involve long overseas flights.

After so many cruising like a crew member (over 600) ready for 2nd time cruising as a passenger. What is better, to work and have so much fun on crew bar or just waist a little of time with people which thing that have a great time and actually are so bored...

Congrats on your cruise and to your hubby!

Charleston is a close port, but, keep in mind that the ship is smaller and they don't have regular balcony rooms (that may not be a problem for most, but us balcony lovers can't cruise without them):)!

They do sail out of Tampa, which was a very easy port to get in and out of (at least it was when we were there). They usually go to Mexico and Grand Cayman out of Tampa. (Both are beautiful places)

Honestly, unless you just really want to see the Bahamas, I would pass on that. Nassau has been our very least favorite port and I would never recommend that port for a 1st time cruiser. There are too many beautiful islands to choose from. Definitely do the Caribbean, either out of Tampa or Miami.

There are many hotels that do a stay/park package, so once you determine which port, then you can research that specific port for hotels that will allow that.

Whatever you decide, have a great cruise!!:)

I posted on here several months ago about my family going on a cruise but that was canceled. We didn't think we'd have the money and my husband didn't want to go with the kids in case it was horrible! But now.....he wants to go on a cruise for his graduation present...just the 2 of us! YAY! So....we're trying to find a cruise through Carnival for the Bahamas or the Caribbean. We'll be going in December, a couple of days after his pinning ceremony (he is graduating RN school). I just wanted to share my happiness!!! Ohhhh......and does anyone know of any hotels around Miami, Mobile, Jacksonville, or Port Canaveral that will let you keep your car at the hotel and provide you with transportation to and from the port? Once we book and know our embarkation port, it'll be easier to find a hotel! But we can't book for another 2 weeks(that's when we're getting some extra money)!!

YAAAAAAAAY!:D:eek::D

Congratulations! i am really happy for you, this is something you will cherish for the rest of your life.. one doesnt forget his first cruise, it leaves a permanent impression on your mind!

Thanks for all the responses! Yeah, from the things that I have read and from what my mom has told me, I think we may skip the Bahamas this time unless it ends up being the only option that fits our schedule. Hopefully, something will be left for us once we get our money! With both of us being in school, money has been REALLY tight.

• 2 weeks later...

Britty,

You will love to cruise!! Congrats 2 your hubby. Mine has been a RN for almost three years. I honestly think the pinning ceremony has been his most proud moment. And his work is very rewarding!!!

We live in Rock Hill, SC pretty close to Charleston, but we went on the Fantasy out of Mobile(not my favorite ship or port). Don't get me wrong we had a great time. Any cruise is a great cruise!!! We went on a 7 day out of Jacksonville April 30th this year---Nassau, Half Moon Cay(beyond amazing), and Grand Turk (also amazing but a little more expensive than the other two) We LOVED Half Moon so much we leave October 1st to go on a 5 day out of Jacksonville on Fascination again and cannot wait!!!! There are so many things to do in any port I think you could visit all of them several times and not have to duplicate.

Above all enjoy yourself!!!!!

P.J.

Congrats to you and your hubby. I am a hospice nurse and I know you sacraficed too while he was in school! Anyway, in PortCanaveral, Radisson Resort at the Port is a hotel that has a stay and park package. Usually around $120 for the night, a free shuttle to and from the port and to park your car for the week. We have stayed there many times and have always had great service and the beds are wonderful. Enjoy your cruise!

Congratulations on the pinning and graduation. I'll be graduating in December also, and was looking at NCL out of NY, or Carnival out of Charleston for Thanksgiving. Since I'll be done, but the Commencement Ceremony isn't until May, I decided to hold off til the summer, this way more family and friends can go w/o having to take the kids out of school, which I'm sure they wouldnt mind.

Archived