Broken foot/Fortress Louisbourg

My mom has a broken foot with edema of the bone marrow (very painful). Should we visit the fortress or will the walking be too much? She can't navigate stairs or walk too far.

Wheelchair access was poor when we went. Walking wasn't easy. She would only see a small part of the town. When are you going? I understand a lot is closed late in the season. I would contact them directly to get information.

It is a National Park, but is a reconstruction of the town from 1744. The streets would be OK but I do not recall any ramps into buildings and no elevators of course.

Why don't you contact them: http://www.pc.gc.ca/lhn-nhs/ns/louisbourg/contact.aspx

Other than that, perhaps a visit to Baddeck may work better for you.

It is a National Park, but is a reconstruction of the town from 1744. The streets would be OK but I do not recall any ramps into buildings and no elevators of course.

Why don't you contact them: http://www.pc.gc.ca/lhn-nhs/ns/louisbourg/contact.aspx

Other than that, perhaps a visit to Baddeck may work better for you.

On the above website, there is a brief mention of rough and cobblestone streets etc. Louisburg is a reconstruction of the town. The period actors are only there until Oct. 15 or so. Access for those who have trouble walking appears to be limited.

Archived