Morbus Meniére

dons_shopper

Hi! I would like if anybody suffering of Morbus Meniere has been on a cruise with bad weather and a rocking ship.

Cruising so far doesn't matter me but SO FAR I was lucky with the weather. Now we will do a Southern Caribbean cruise in November and I am a little worried.

I have Meniere's disease, not sure if that is the same as Morbus Meniere's. I sail frequently and have only had problems once. The balance, and dizziness didn't bother me until I was back on land, but unfortunately lasted for weeks.

I typically don't have more than a couple of instances a year other than the constant Tinnitus that is always present. So it surprised me that only one of my 23 cruises caused me any problems. That cruise was a bit rough and we missed 2 ports due to high seas, but I've been on much worse with no problems.

I do NOT have Meniere's but have been bothered by that "rocking and rolling" sensation AFTER the cruise, too....it does go away eventually!

It was pretty miserable for those few weeks. I'm not sure why it only happened after that one cruise which was probably my 18th or 19th. And I've certainly been on much rougher cruises........the really weird thing was that it didn't start until a few days after I got back.........

Probably the stress of coming back to work........since stress is also a trigger of Meniere's..........

Check with your doctor but I have read here that some people find if they have rocking/dizziness after they leave the ship, they get relief from using sea sickness medications the same as they would if still on the ship.

Meclazine/bonine/dramamine etc seem to help these people when back on land but with sea sickness symptoms.

Check with your doctor but I have read here that some people find if they have rocking/dizziness after they leave the ship, they get relief from using sea sickness medications the same as they would if still on the ship.

Meclazine/bonine/dramamine etc seem to help these people when back on land but with sea sickness symptoms.

I did use some dramamine and I upped my diuretic, but it did little good. I was so dizzy that at times I didn't think I was going to be able to drive.

Hi! I would like if anybody suffering of Morbus Meniere has been on a cruise with bad weather and a rocking ship.

Cruising so far doesn't matter me but SO FAR I was lucky with the weather. Now we will do a Southern Caribbean cruise in November and I am a little worried.

I have severe Meniere's disease, and I never get seasick, no matter how bad the weather or high the seas. I just take ginger capsules and wear my seabands. Of course, I always have a balcony cabin so that I can open the door a crack for fresh air. If you don't have an openable door, go out on deck where you can get fresh air. That will help keep you from getting sick.

I have suffered with Menieres disease for over 10 years now and have been on over 40 cruises and in all that time I have never had a problem with an attack whilst on the ship or soon after disembarking. In fact my consultant told me that in view of the medication I take for this condition, then I should be far less troubled by rough seas. We have sailed the Bay of Biscay over 20 times in the last few years and form 10 winds and my condition has never bothered me.

However, I can only speak for myself but hope this helps.

Be positive and dont worry.

Thank you for your answers. Yes, reading the answers I can feel how worried I am inside. When my Meniere disease started in 2008 it was very hard. In 2009 I had an awful attack onboard, one of the worst I ever had. It started on land and became worse while we were still docked. Cruises 2010 and 2011 - no problem.

I would really be interested in learning how you deal with MM, medication outside of Germany, cruises, ginger ?? Don't know how because I don't want to post my email adress here.

If any of you are interested,too: any ideas how to get in touch?

• 10 months later...

Thank you all once again. We had to cxl our trip in November and did it in March.

The sea was ot really rough but you could feel it. So when I couldn't walk straight for the first days I asked my husband." Is it me or the ship?" The answer was always:"The ship". After a while I was really able to laugh about not being able to walk straight - which would have terrified me a year ago. I am so glad. Even went snorkeling. Slowly getting my life back.

Good luck for everybody who also suffers the Meniere Disease!

Archived