Traveling with CPAP

jeaniebelle

You will need an extension cord. Make sure it is a good one (not frayed or old looking), and pack it with your CPAP.

We didn't think to bring one on our first cruise, and we were loaned this huge orange cord for the week. :D

No adapter is needed.

On our Conquest cruise the wife had an extension cord barely long enough to reach across the cabin. The only outlet that was a US 110V was on the vanity. there was a 220V European behind the beds though. So if your CPAP is rated for 110~240V you can use an adapter if need be. Something to keep in mind...

While Carnival will lend you one, I would recommend getting an inexpensive extension cord and keeping it in the CPAP case. I've needed it in hotels, so it's easier to have my own. It doesn't need to be very thick. I believe mine is only 10 feet, and that plus the length of the actual adapter was barely enough to reach the bedside.

It's also good to get a mini surge protector like the one I link below; it's great for travel where you only have one outlet available and you need to charge your camera and run the CPAP at night, for example. The one I linked has USB ports for charging phones and iPods as well!

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Mini-Surge-Protector-Charger/dp/B0015DYMVO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1314744636&sr=8-1

I would suggest a 20' cord because it all depends on what ship and cabin yo have as to what length you need. Also, I would reccommend taking duct tape to tape cord down, We leave ours taped for entire cruise.

I have a 24' extension cord with a dual female end that is always in my CPAP case. I also carry an inflatable square pillow that I can use, if there is no night stand, to set my CPAP on. You never want to put your CPAP on the floor

Take care,

Mike

I know your question was about an extention cord, but what about your humidifier?

My new cruisers have come on and asked about getting distilled water for their CPAP, that is what they were told they needed. When you are at home, friends, relatives, or hotel, you will need to use distilled water. The drinking water onboard the ship is actually purer than the tap water at home. The water onboard goes through an evaporater system and desalinization process to remove any minerals and also salt. I was a little concerned my first cruise, and checked with my resperatory nurse, and a technician at the medical supply place my CPAP comes from. Both informed me that I DO NOT need to use distilled water onboard the ship.If you are not sure if this is ok to do (because you don't me from ___), you can bring it onboard in your carry on, and it will not count against you non-alcoholic allowance of 12 - 20oz beverages. You can also usually obtain it from the ships medicl department. Let the special needs dept know before your cruise, and they will make sure the medical dept does have enough onboard.

I keep hearing about extension cords and power strips so recommend carrying on your CPAP and they won't question the extra wires that way. On our trip 2 weeks ago security didn't even asked about the CPAP but was more interested about the wine and sodas.

Does the CPAP count as a personal carry on for the airline or can you have 2 personal carry ons and the cpap?

The CPAP is not considered a personal item by the airline, it's a medical device and therefor cannot be counted. I fly all the time and carry on my CPAP and roller bag and my laptop, no problem.

Thanks for all the responses! I have placed an order for the mini surge ptotector on Amazon. I'll keep it, as well as an entension chord in the pack. I hadn't thought about the water for humidifier so that information was also valuable !

Gf takes one all the time. Just take an extension cord, and let them know about it BEFORE the cruise, carry it on so it don't get broken by the shipyard monkeys, and you won't have any problem. You can get a gallon of distilled water from room service as soon as you get on board. Have a great trip!! :)

...and bring some duck tape. You will almost definitely have to stretch it accross the room. Run a length of duck tape over the cord and tape it down to the floor. You won't worry about tripping over it in the middle of the night

One of the many, many uses for duck tape I have found on a cruise.

I pack my cpap in my carryon, always with a 25' cord. I also put in a rectangular 3plug adapter. (turns 1 plut into 3) Since we always fly down the night before, I bring a bottle of water along for that night and keep it for the first couple nights, just in case they fill the tanks with shore water in FL. By the time I run out of home water, they should have good fresh sanitized desalinated ocean water for me to breathe.

You may want to make sure your mask is in good condition, have fresh filters, etc. I always do a triple check when packing to make sure I have everything...that would mess up a cruise worse than a huge pack of screaming children being ignored by their smoking parents!

what is wrong with setting the unit on the floor? Here at home, it'd suck up a bunch of cat hair, but on a ship.....?? thanks

I know your question was about an extention cord, but what about your humidifier?

I used tap water for the humidifier and didn't have any problems. I actually have two chambers, and one I use when I travel in case I need to use tap or bottled water which would have minerals in it. One only gets distilled water. Two weeks in Italy using tap water, I had to clean it several times. But on the ship, no problems.

I did have a problem with Carnival regarding distilled water. I e-mailed the Special Needs department and they told me it was a $3 charge for a gallon of distilled water, and that under no circumstances could I bring it on board myself. Here is the e-mail chain:

Carnival Cruise Lines is dedicated to offering a quality cruising experience for all of our guests.

That information is correct. As noted in the initial email sent to you, distilled water is available onboard the ship from your cabin steward at approximately $3 per gallon. As this item is available onboard the ship, you will not be permitted to travel with that item.

We look forward to welcoming you aboard the Fun Ships of Carnival Cruise Lines.

Antoinette Bromfield

Guest Access Sailing Support

To which I replied:

Your reasoning does not make sense to me. Coca-Cola products, bottles of water, and wine are also all available on the ship, but I am permitted to travel with personal quantities of those. How is distilled water any different? Your message is implying that a medically necessary item must be purchased on board the Splendor at a 300% markup.

I anticipate a better clarification of the rules.

They did not have the decency to respond.

Archived