Excursion ideas while pregnant?

queenL

I will probably be between 18-22wks pregnant during our next cruise. I'm debating itineraries now because I am an "active" person and don't want to be banished to the shop/beach/taxi tours the entire cruise. I noticed that one of the kayaking tours I want to take was "not recommended" for pregnant women. However, my OB said that there would be no medical reason I couldn't go kayaking. There seem to be quite a few active excursions that are not recommended. Does anyone know whether the "not recommended" labels mean they won't allow me to go? Has anyone done any active excursions while pregnant?

If it doesn't say "Not allowed", I'd go for it, assuming your doctor still thinks it's fine. Just because a woman is pregnant, doesn't mean she's delicate! I could understand not riding rollercoasters, where your body is being whipped around, but you're in control of your rowing actions....

They are probably just covering their butts, in case you got hurt...they don't want to be sued!

I cruised when pregnant at 18 wks, because I was quite skinny (pre-baby anyway!) I showed quite early. I couldn't get any spa treatments - not even a pedicure. We had looked at a catamaran excursion in st. Thomas (I think) and tried to book on board for this very reason but the wouldn't book us as their liability wouldn't cover it. Spa treatments bothered me more than excursions, while full body/hot stone massage was obviously out the question there are lots of treatments safe during pregnancy.

None the less it was an amazing holiday and something my husband and I remember as a final bit of 'me time'.

Like cb at sea said, it's a liability issue. Even if your doctor says there's no reason you shouldn't go on a kayak excursion that doesn't mean that the excursion provider will allow you to participate.

Are you looking at booking the excursion through the cruise line or on your own? If you are booking on your own you can talk to the provider via phone or email and advise them of your pregnancy. They can tell you what they will allow. I'm not sure who you would have to talk to if you are booking through the cruise line.

Personally, I don't see a problem with you doing a more active excursion (like kayaking). If you continue your exercise routine while you're pregnant (and have an uneventful pregnancy) you should be able to tackle something like that.

I kayaked pregnant and although it is "safe" it is awkward after 16 weeks because leaning forward to paddle stroke can be limited by the belly, especially in a boat where your knees might hit your abdomen. In addition some of the cheap plastic ocean boats have NO back support. I would seriously look at snorkeling. Swimming is one of the safest exercises during pregnancy as long as you avoid a high speed bouncy boat ride to get there.

I kayaked pregnant and although it is "safe" it is awkward after 16 weeks because leaning forward to paddle stroke can be limited by the belly, especially in a boat where your knees might hit your abdomen. In addition some of the cheap plastic ocean boats have NO back support. I would seriously look at snorkeling. Swimming is one of the safest exercises during pregnancy as long as you avoid a high speed bouncy boat ride to get there.

I was pregnant on our last cruise and went snorkeling in both Cozumel and Grand Caymen. We also did a river rafting excursion in Jamaica. The nice part about the snorkeling excursions is that if you are just not feeling that active you still get a nice boat ride in the Caribbean.

Personally, if it says not recommended I would still book it if you feel that you are capable of participating. If it says not allowed, well that is a different story. FYI - I have seen excursions that do state that pregnant women are not allowed such as swimming with dolphins.

I cruised in my 23rd week of pregnancy. Just FYI, both with cruise line excursions and private excursions, if it's "not recommended for pregnancy," you will likely not be allowed to book it, regardless of your health or the non-riskiness of your pregnancy. I was also active and healthy, and so wanted to do one of those "helmet" style things where you literally just walk in a group along the ocean floor no more than 12 feet down (no more than 6 feet over your head), but was told absolutely no, for liability reasons.

For what it's worth, I LOVED my beach days on my cruise while pregnant. It was so lovely to float in bathtub-temp Caribbean waters. DH felt our son move for the first time on our cruise, and DS seemed to like floating in the ocean, it seemed to be the only times he was resting quietly and not poking at my bladder.

Is this your first pregnancy? You might be surprised by how easy it is to get tired and how much you might appreciate a slower-paced activity schedule. I napped every day on the cruise, and beach-bumming was the perfect activity level for me.

Is this your first pregnancy? You might be surprised by how easy it is to get tired and how much you might appreciate a slower-paced activity schedule. I napped every day on the cruise, and beach-bumming was the perfect activity level for me.

No, it isn't my first. When I was pregnant with my daughter, I continued, cardio, weightlifting etc. right up through my 9 month. I won't overload myself like I do when I'm not pregnant, but I won't be content to just lay around each port day either. I just plan to take breaks if I get tired. I'm showing a little now so I'm not sure if I will be able to hide it or not by then. Just trying to decide if I should tell them I'm pregnant or book it and see what happens.

We did an Alaskan cruise when I was 21 wks PG last summer. We booked a hike and river float through a company on our own. I asked them if it was appropriate for my stage in pregnancy and they were helpful in helping me assess things. It was challenging (in a good, healthy way) and an experience that I'll never forget! In fact, during my labor it was one of the scenes that I meditated on.

• 3 weeks later...

I cruised at 18 weeks, and booked all my excursions privately because the cruise line excursions were unbelievably restrictive!

I did hiking, snorkelling, swimming and a couple island tour type cruises. The hike was a challenge, but I had done it the year before (in Dominica) and I did let the tour provider know I was pregnant ahead of time and we were both comfortable with the route we chose. He did strongly recommend I change my original booking, which was a lot more strenuous.

Everything else was totally fine. I didn't do tubing or ziplining or anything obviously hazardous, but knowing how you feel yourself, you should be able to find plenty of excursions you are comfortable with.

I was not as pregnant last year - I was in 1st trimester - but we did several snorkel excursions. My OB said of all the offerings, she'd go for the snorkel trips as they are the most safely active.

Absolutely no dolphins. That's one you cannot do pregnant.

You can do stingrays though. They don't seem to mind the extra heartbeat much. LOL

The Spa is a weird one - there are so many things in the lotions and potions my OB recommended doing nothing more than a facial if I had to do something...

The heated stone chairs were great on my back - but I limited them to 15 min and stayed away from the hot tubs entirely.

One thing I didn't expect - I tan VERY easily. I have NEVER burned in my life and never blistered in my life. I was so sunburned it was unreal after one day. I don't know what happened. I did end up enjoying the cruise - I slept a LOT - it was great - no hassles and a whole week to sleep off the sunburn. ;)

Hope you have a GREAT time though!

Archived