Athens accommodation

MJcruiser!

If you haven't been to Athens before, I recommend you stay somewhere very central to maximize your time.

I really liked the Athens Gate hotel (with lots of other positive recommendations as well). It's very close to the Acropolis, Plaka, new Acropolis Museum, Temple of Olympian Zeus, metro stop, etc.....

If you arrive at 1pm, you may be at your hotel by 3pm or thereabouts. I would recommend dropping your things and heading up to the Acropolis (after checking with your hotel regarding closing time; they have shortened some of the hours this year...). Assuming you have time, late afternoon is a great time to see this site as it gets much less crowded at the end of the day. After that, you can perhaps enjoy walking around the Plaka for a bit, find a place for dinner, and then return to your hotel.

In the morning (I assume you don't have to be at the port too early), I'd go to see the new Acropolis Museum as soon as it opens. After that, I'd suggest a visit to the ancient Greek Agora (very worthwhile and also walkable from a central hotel in Plaka area), including their small on-site museum. While in the vicinity, don't miss the Tower of the Winds in the Roman agora/forum, which is right next door to the Greek agora.

That's probably about enough for a morning. Have some lunch (great souvlaki restaurants around the Agora area, or many other options....), then check out of your hotel and head to the port.

Thanks Cynthia, I really appreciate this info!!!

Would you take public transportation or taxi from airport to hotel and also from hotel to port?

Margaret

A lot depends on how much luggage you have and how much you will feel up to after a long flight...

From the airport to central Athens is about a 35-40 minute ride by taxi assuming reasonable traffic, and the cost is fixed at 35 euro (midnight to 5am it is 50 euro). Make sure the driver knows you are aware of this fixed rate; some will try to take advantage of tourists.

From a central Athens hotel to the port is an even shorter trip and should run 20-25 euro (no fixed rate that I am aware of).

There is an express bus that runs from the airport to Syntagma Square (called X95, you can purchase a ticket just outside from baggage claim at the airport and the buses also wait there). Ticket prices were just raised slightly so I cannot remember exact amount but they are under 5 euro per person. From Syntagma Square, you could then take the metro 1 stop to Akropoli station, which is very close to Athens Gate hotel. (Assuming you are staying there, lol.)

You could also take the metro from the airport to Syntagma, then change lines from Syntagma to Akropoli as mentioned above. I just think the bus is a bit easier with luggage.

There is a lot of info on how to do this on the Athens forum on Tripadvisor, or I can give more details if you are interested. Many hotels will also give directions from the airport to the hotel via public transportation on their website.

From the hotel to the port, I would simply recommend a taxi. The metro is quite a distance from the place where the cruise ships dock; it is walkable but maybe up to 40 minutes depending which dock......that's a long way to lug your bags when a taxi is pretty reasonable and will drop you right at the dock.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We stayed at the Airotel Parthenon Sept 2-4, before embarking on our cruise this month. Very affordable (98Euro/night), great breakfast, nice, clean (though small) room but we had a HUGE balcony. We didn't even know the hotel had balconies - it was delightful. And a fridge which we used for beer, soda, olives:D Just around the corner from the Akropolis metro station and easy to walk everywhere we wanted to go - 5 minutes to the Acropolis, Plaka, Hadrian's gate etc.

They arranged airport transportation for us (52 euro - more expensive than a taxi but he came inside and picked us up with our name on a card) When we left, they called a taxi for us and it was 22euro to our terminal at the port.

Wherever you decide to stay I would make transportation arrangements ahead of time with someone strike resistant. Your hotel should know someone good and reliable that can transport you even if there is a taxi or transit strike. I would also have a plan B & C prepared in case their are transportation difficulties.

Also, don't forget to bring Euros or hit the ATM at the airport. You don't want to be a travel noob complaining that the taxi's or metro won't take US Dollars or whatever funny money (to them) is in your pocket.

We are landing in Athens at 1300 on day prior to our cruise. Does anyone have recommendations on where to stay for that night and what to do to best utilize our short stay in Athens? Thanks

Hi,

Wonderfull informations but make sure there are not strikes those days in Athens, if there are, make a reservation with a mini van, there are companies in Greece, you can arrange, your tour and your transfers.

Also you have a night stay, you can enjoy a foklor taverna.

I dont recomend , your transfer from the port or airport with a private car from your hotel.

Helectra Palace 5* Or Grand Bretania sounds of the bests.

Archived