My scooter experience

jukeboxy

I have not started a thread before but I thought a positive on going tread on personal experience could be helpful.

I just got off of the Inifity Panama cruise and it was a wonderful experience.

I had the 6004 hdcp cabin which was large a provided plenty of space for my scooter. Of course this ship has mini-bars so I had refridgeration for my insulin and they provided needle disposal container.

The access around the ship was very good but for some strips in the halls for sealing the emergency doors. The did give a small bump as I was flying through the halls.

The elevators were large and easy for wheelchairs and scooters to access

Food service in the buffet was wonderful as there was always someone to help carry your tray.

Only a few outside access doors did I sturggle with as they were narrow and not automatic. But most doors were automatic and easy to pass through.

I checked with the Excursions Mgr. the first day aboard and she worked with me to get me on trips that were suitable for me and my hardware.

Acapalco and Aruba the tours I took would transport my scooter so it could be used at different stops.

Infinity tenderd me im Panama City and Cabo even though it took three husky men to carry the scooter down steps and into the tender.

So this is a start of giving real experience for scooter and wheel chair cruising.

We had 6005 for a Panama Canal cruise on the Iinfinity a few years ago. Aren't they great cabins? Our cabin steward said that thye are bigger than some suites. And we were able to view the transit from the comfort of our own cabin.

I agree with the rest of your review. The fire door strips made getting to the elevator bumpy for my husband, but otherwise we really enjoyed the ship.

• 3 months later...

Hi, Jukeboxy--can you give some more specifics about your excursions? I think tendering is out of the question for us (BIG weight problems--too dangerous), but we would love to hear more about accessible piers and roll-to destinations, ship- or locally-chartered tours, etc. We will be taking Regal Princess out of SD on November 15th, and will take both the heavy scooter and an oversize folding w/c. Thanks for any help you can give! Kathy & Kristen

• 5 weeks later...
Hi, Jukeboxy--can you give some more specifics about your excursions? I think tendering is out of the question for us (BIG weight problems--too dangerous), but we would love to hear more about accessible piers and roll-to destinations, ship- or locally-chartered tours, etc. We will be taking Regal Princess out of SD on November 15th, and will take both the heavy scooter and an oversize folding w/c. Thanks for any help you can give! Kathy & Kristen

The pier in San Diego it no problem there is an elevator part way at the main gang way and there are a couple of turns the rest of the way but lots of room.

If you give the ports you will be going to I will try to help more. I have never sailed Princess so I don't know about them.

Sounds like I don't know very much.

Does your scooter fold down enough to fit into a large bus luggage bin? If so you should be able to go on tours that use them.

Almost all of the ports that you dock at will permit some access off of the ship to close in shopping. Tender ports are another question and depend on the ship and their policy.

Cobblestones make it tricky in PV but I have managed to wander around some.

ACA has a new bridge and ramp across the street so you can go to the Fort across the street and their musum. It is a nice view from there and they have interesting exibits.

I have gone to the town square in ACA which is a few blocks from the terminal and done shopping close by there.

The main problem in Mexico is high sidewalks with narrow steep ramping where it exists. You sometimes need to backtrack and look forward to get around. Or as I do at times just go in the street.

First thing I do when I get on the ship is go to the excursions desk and talk to the manager. The normal counter people are not always up to date on the truth.

• 2 weeks later...

Jukeboxy, I love reading your posts, as you give good info for those in a scooter or chair!

My soulmate needs a w/c for long distances, and we met new friends on this year's cruise. He is an amputee and has a power chair. Next year we are on the Carnival Spirit to the Mexican Riviera, the ports of Alcapulco, Zhuatenejo/Ixtapa, and Manzanillo.

A couple of questions as you've mentioned ACA. We definitely want to see the Cliff Divers, did you do that? How far from the terminal? I heard of a restaurant, I think it was La Perla, that had an accessible terrace. Also, I understand you were able to go to the Fort and it's museum, is that right across from the terminal?

I know our second port is tendered, so at least the boys would stay on the ship.

Have you been to Manzanillo? I can't remember much from my research except beaches and shopping (and a volcano, which would probably not work!) Us girls thought we'd just park the boys at a bar near the beach, then we'd go spend their money shopping!

Thanks for your experience and help!

Kathy

Jukeboxy, I love reading your posts, as you give good info for those in a scooter or chair!

My soulmate needs a w/c for long distances, and we met new friends on this year's cruise. He is an amputee and has a power chair. Next year we are on the Carnival Spirit to the Mexican Riviera, the ports of Alcapulco, Zhuatenejo/Ixtapa, and Manzanillo.

A couple of questions as you've mentioned ACA. We definitely want to see the Cliff Divers, did you do that? How far from the terminal? I heard of a restaurant, I think it was La Perla, that had an accessible terrace. Also, I understand you were able to go to the Fort and it's museum, is that right across from the terminal?

I know our second port is tendered, so at least the boys would stay on the ship.

Have you been to Manzanillo? I can't remember much from my research except beaches and shopping (and a volcano, which would probably not work!) Us girls thought we'd just park the boys at a bar near the beach, then we'd go spend their money shopping!

Thanks for your experience and help!

Kathy

I have not been to Manzanillo so I can't help you there.

Cabo San Lucas - All About Cabo

The above site is a good place to get information on cities in Mexico.

As I said in a previous message the only way I could get my scooter to the divers in ACA was to take a tour on the big buses. The divers are too far to walk and it is not recomended. If your taking large unfoldable chair or scooter you will have a problem. If you take a motorised chair to use on the ship and can use a normal chair in port you could use regular cabs. There is good access for people with disabilities at the divers I have not eaten at the resturant but I understand it is nothing special food wise.

The fort is the easiest thing to do with the new bridge over the main street. This one you could use the power chair with no real problems.

Total distance from ship to the fort entrance the way you need to wind around is about three normal city blocks. It is an experience worth doing.

As for tendering ports don't give up on them just check with the main desk and the excursions mgr. about how they will help you. If they say no to tendering you remind them other lines do it and you have the option of taking them next cruise.:DEven with my 160 lbs scooter three crew members with carry it down the steps and lift it onto the tender. The only time this is not possible is if the seas are rough and there is a real danger.

I hope this is helpful good luck.

Thanks, Jukeboxy! Looking at various maps, I can see where the cliff divers are, but hadn't found one showing the Fort, or where the ships dock! At least we can walk to the Fort on our own, then find the best way to the divers. I don't know if our friend also has a manual w/c, I know he is able to hop on his one leg, and he drives, so he can transfer.

The shore excursion desk was helpful this year and quest services said it did depend a lot on the seas, if it was safe to get on the tender, the crew would put the w/c on and help my sweetie to get on.

We can hardly wait for March! We still have to get our flights and rooms, we're all coming in the day or two before, and staying a few days after. Any suggestions for where to stay in your fair city before and after?

Kathy

The Holiday Inn on the Bay is probably the most convenient place to stay in San Diego, as it is right across the street from the cruise ship terminal. You can also arrange parking there for the duration of the cruise if you are driving. Other places I would recommend include the San Diego Marriott (Marina), the downtown Embassy Suites, the new Sheraton in the Gaslamp, the Wyndham Emerald Plaza, and the Manchester Grand Hyatt. All are close to shops and restaurants and an easy and inexpensive cab ride (or hotel shuttle) to the pier.

Here is a website to check out:

http://www.sandiegohotels.com/

• 1 month later...

I just got back Saturday from the Sea of Cortez on the Ryndam. I will try to give some almost good information about handicap issues on the ship.

To start with I did a lot of pre-planning by getting a hdcp room and checking with the Special Needs dept to make sure my scooter size and weight were no issue.

Boarding was not an issue the checkin for special needs was seperate and comfortable. Once on board the first small problem was the elevator. With the crap I had hanging on the scooter as carry on I had to angle the scooter to fit. Once I got the luggage off it fit was two inches to spare pulling straight in.

Moving around the ship was not a problem except some doors to open decks I needed assistance to open them. Also if the Crows nest doors were closed help was required there also. The narrow passages in the spa proved interesting also.

I checked with the M'd as soon as I got the chance to insure my dinner table was located close to the front and parking was close by. Once that was done the rest of on board life was a breeze. The show room has easy access and the crew it very accomading.

The final two issues to deal with was excurisions and tendering.

Tendering on the Ryndam is a area you need to be somewhat forceful about. You must be able to walk the steep steps to the platform from the ships deck. You will also need to pre-arrange your departure and return as they need to bring people to lift your scooter at both ends. Wheel chairs and walkers they handle in the normal flow it is just the scooters and power chairs that are at issue. So check with the Guest Relations Mgr. not just the counter people.

Excursions are getting better in Mexico. If you are going on an excursion from the ship and they are using the big buses you scooter can be stored in the luggage compartment. Some are smaller and you need to collapse to around three feet.

In each port private tours and access varies. In MZ there is a open air tour that has a lift for scooters. In PV they are now making an effort for the surburban type vans to deal with chairs and scooter but no lifts.

I hope this rambling is helpful to some and if you have questions post them here so the answers are public for all to learn from.

There is a company (not bookable through the cruise line) that offers private lift van tours in PV. We have used them twice and had good service and a good price. Used a manual chair instead of the power chair though due to access problems in town (many shops with one to two steps up or down). We used the tender lift on this cruise for wheelchair user who cannot stand (in Loreto) and had good service from the ship.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

As promised I am writing this post about my Dec cruise on the Mercury.

I can say it was the most interesting experience this time becuse I have grown bold and very experimental. First thing is the experience on the ship was without a single issue. I get a Accessable room and check with the M'd to make sure my dinning table is close to good parking near the front of the resturant. Those are two important things to do to insure a good cruise.

On and off was not a problem. When we arrived at the pier X personal ushered us to the fastest way to get checked in and then past the long line to the ship. We did have to use a special elevator at the dockside ramp but that went smothly.

Off was an easier issue because we made sure we were in the first group off after the special early flight group. We kinda fudged and were sitting close to the exit so I didn't have to mess with elevators on the ship when my disembark color was called.

In ACA we went in the direction of the newer part of town along the beach and the sidewalks there were not too bad. I didn't have to go into the street there at all. We only went a couple of miles and then shopped it a couple of the huge dept. stores before we headed back.

The sidewalks on this side of the street were not as scooter friendly so it was a lot of street time and retracing of steps. Speaking of steps my wife walked along side or behind me all the way and she got pooped. The trip back was becoming a real pain until a group of locals who were taking their icon to the church in the main plaza came by. It was a mini parade and they were in the street with protective cars in front and the rear. So I joined in and we avoided some nasty sidewalks and corner crossings all the way back and got some funny looks along the way.

With this experience behind me I got even braver in PV. I managed to go the 3 1/2 miles from the ship to the Malacon downtown. This really wore my wife out. I don't recomend this one to the faint of heart as the sidewalks are a disaster and the streets narrow. They are not really so narrow until you share it with a bus that is passing you. My scooter is a heavy duty one that is suposed to do 25 miles on a full charge so I forgot to charge it the night before this foray into stupidity. They are really trying in the larger cities in Mexico to improve access for scooter and chairs but they seem to miss and they are getting a late start. There will be a steep ramp at one end of a block and then nothing at the other end except a 12" curb. So to travel you must do a lot of back tracking and be willing to be in the street with the cars to travel independent.

Once we got to town my scooter showed it needed charging and I was worried about getting back to the ship. Let me tell you that finding a taxie in PV that can carry a scooter is not easy. After much frustration they found me a little mini cab that had a small flat space in the rear. The driver and two local people were able to fold it and cram in in and back we headed. When we returned to the pier the security allowed the driver to get me in as close as possible to the ship and he inlisted help from the locals to unload me.

I you are asking why I did all of this I don't blame you. But several people on the ship asked how independent did my scooter make me. Then there are people here on CC that want to know the perils they can experience.

So I did it to find real answers to all of these questions. If I didn't have a great scooter that I have confidence in I would never have tried any of it. I hope this information is helpful to someone.

BTW, I was able to get ashore in both of the tender ports. The Mercury crew is use to this and just carried my scooter up and down and lifted it into the tender.

Hey jukeboxy...

Thank you for putting this information up! My folks are well seasoned past cruisers but as their seniority moves them up the ladder of life and their inability to get around unassisted increases, they feel their cruising days are over. I keep telling them the cruise lines are doing more and more for the physicially challanged cruiser, but they don't seem to believe me. On both my past cruises I have made inquiries of anyone I see in a chair or scooter to get their opinions. Everyone has been extremely helpful and understanding of my inquiries.

Just as a thought you might want to consider putting your thoughts and experiences into some sort of book or article publication format. Seeing as cruising has become more mainstream, and those with mobility limitations are being equipped with vehicles that enable them to get around more easily, a "how to" guide of the various different areas would be a great tool to have available!

Just a thought of course.:D

See ya on the high seas sometime!

A friend and I ,plus our electric wheels and my service dog were able to find TWO lift-equipped vans for transport from ship to cliff divers. The Special Services desk was informed of the need before the cruise (DCL's first repositioning cruise through the Panama Canal last May). Each van was able to fit us both in, plus poor squished Cash, the Wonder dog.

Archived