Fall 2011 Season of DWTS Formal Gowns

KandCsailing

14 October 2011: Monday: Semifinals---

WoW! Brooke is wearing a burnished silvery gold, heavily sequined dress with squared neckline and two straps. So far I have seen only the bodice, but very much like the design so far. I've been shopping for a few cruise outfits and have noticed that sequins are just on everything this year. It is hard to find clothing without sequins.

Brooke's hair is straight. I wish my hair could be so versatile.

Carie Ann looks spectacular in a pale silver one- shouldered gown.The one shoulder has self fabric folds abd a sort of bow. I love her hair tonight.

The millions of sequins on Brooke's dress have wavy trim lines going through them which adds a design aspect that is lovely. Hey wait! I do belive Brooke's dress is strapless.

Sitting here waiting for severe storms---they keep breaking in for updates--- so I hope we don't lose electricity. I really like Brooke's dress tonight. And Carrie Ann looks absolutely smashing. I feel terrible for JR. What a lousy time for an injury.

Thought Brooke's dress was very nice. Was it long? I somehow missed that part.

Liked Carrie Ann's dress. I'm thinking it was probably a cocktail dress. I like the ruffle going across and over the shoulder, but when they showed her from the back the ruffle ended too abruptly for me when it turned into a straight strap.

I think Ricki was over scored last night. My eyes always went to Derek's dancing again and I'm not even crazy for him. The Argentine Tango Pro's were amazing to watch. Wow...could he ever throw her around.

I agree. I thought Ricki was over scored also. I was also surprised by Rob winning the Cha Cha contest. I really thought they would give it to Ricki. I think Hope is gone tonight. And I hope JR's ankle heals by next week.

I agree too about Ricki. I thought Rob was better than Ricki last night. I loved his samba - the best dance of the night. It just made me smile. :)

I liked Hope's hair in the first dance. But she always looks so awkward to me. Is it her shoulders? I'm surprised the judges never say anything about it.

I loved Carrie Ann's silver/grey dress.

Tuesday, November 15, 2011: Final Four Results Show--

I LOVE, LOVE Brooke's black sequined cocktail dress except for the simply dumb little cap sleeve on one side of the diagonal neckline. The skin-tight skirt hits at mid-thigh. This isn't a dress Icould wear,, but any woman with the figure for it, could wear it on a cruise or to parties or New Year's Eve events. It is full out glamorous.

Brooke's hair is worn up, but it has a rather lopsided look with the messy-looking detail on one side balancing the cap sleeve on the other side of the gown.

Once again tonight the editing of the show is so choppy, it is hard to keep up with what is going on. There is no continuity, just film clips going from one thing to another.

I never managed to see enough of Brooke's dress last night to figure out if it was long or short--I may have liked it more if it had some volume or flowiness on the bottom. What I could see was just ok.

Carrie Ann's gray dress was very pretty, a little too much shoulder flower for me, but still elegant and wearable on a cruise.

I really liked her dress tonight until she stood up--liked the neckline and shoulders, but those flowing draperies would make anyone look hippy. Brooke's dress was fine, nothing special, except I didn't care for the one cap sleeve either. I liked the length on her.

The ones who went home were the ones I expected and who should have. Should be an interesting final next week.

Carrie Ann's gray dress was very pretty, a little too much shoulder flower for me, but still elegant and wearable on a cruise.

I really liked her dress tonight until she stood up--liked the neckline and shoulders, but those flowing draperies would make anyone look hippy.

Just found out by accident that Carrie Ann posted on her WhoSay page that the gray dress was by APapellSale and tonights white dress is by AllenBSchwartz. I don't know if I could wear the shoulder pad/epaulette look on tonight's dress. My shoulders are too straight for it maybe.

It's cool that Carrie Ann is posting where she finds her dresses. I often prefer her choices to those of Brooke. I also agree that when Carrie Ann stood up last night, my first thought was the unusual draping on her dress would visually increase girth especially in the ab area where no woman wants to look heavier.

Does anybody here think that many of the new drapey, ruffly, unconstructed cardigans do the same thing? I've tried on so many and I just look matronly, frumpy and fifteen pounds heavier. I don't know who can wear that look, perhaps runway models who could use a few extra pounds.

Next week's final should be interesting. I hope JR's ankle issues will be behind him. I am really surprised that one of the top three made it, because at the first show of the season I never would have picked that person to be one to reach the finals...never ever. Must have a huge fan base.

I agree about the drapy ruffled cardigans--they look so cute on the rack but so far not one has looked good on me--too long, bulky and not fitted enough. I do see them on other people, though, and they look nice.

My 5'11", 124 lb. DIL could wear them! I think height makes a difference--I don't look good in any longer top.

I also agree that I usually much prefer Carrie Ann's gowns to Brooke's, and they often look like something that could feasibly be worn on a cruise.

The tangos tonight have seemed very, very good to me and I don't even like tango much.

We're approaching week 6 of 10 learning Argentine Tango. For a number of reasons this is the hardest dance that we've ever attempted, and we were already quite good at American Tango. Needless to say I'm not throwing MSGCurry about the floor, but most dances have a lot of upperbody leads & movement whereas this could be considered "minimalist". Sorta like that duck gliding across the pond, underwater he's very busy. Locks and blocks and fakes and crawls etc etc. The music is the ony thing in common with other Tangos.

Review of Results Show:

http://tvrecaps.ew.com/recap/dancing-with-the-stars-hope-solo-maks-eliminated/

Yeah I was surprised at the scores as well. "I go to Rio" is a fav of mine for Samba, but I felt that they slowed it down so Rob could dance it.:rolleyes:

I believe out of the 4 that were left the right person went home. I'm not sure if Rob belongs in the finals but, he is i the finals. I do think he has improved his dancing skills and has been doing a very good job at dancing. We'll just have to see what happens next week. Just keep in mind that in my area the episode for next week is playing at 1:37am on Tuesday instead of it's usual time of 8:00pm on Monday because of Football(so what else is new?). The Results show is on it's regular time on Tuesday Night.

Rhonda

I believe out of the 4 that were left the right person went home. I'm not sure if Rob belongs in the finals but, he is i the finals. I do think he has improved his dancing skills and has been doing a very good job at dancing. We'll just have to see what happens next week. Just keep in mind that in my area the episode for next week is playing at 1:37am on Tuesday instead of it's usual time of 8:00pm on Monday because of Football(so what else is new?). The Results show is on it's regular time on Tuesday Night.

Rhonda

I also think that the right couple were eliminated, the finals should be interesting.

Rhonda : I am on the west coast , so we always get the show after everyone else has seen it , I just don't go online until I have seen it , then it doesn't give me the results ahead of time :)

Cori

Does anybody here think that many of the new drapey, ruffly, unconstructed cardigans do the same thing? I've tried on so many and I just look matronly, frumpy and fifteen pounds heavier. I don't know who can wear that look, perhaps runway models who could use a few extra pounds.

Next week's final should be interesting. I hope JR's ankle issues will be behind him. I am really surprised that one of the top three made it, because at the first show of the season I never would have picked that person to be one to reach the finals...never ever. Must have a huge fan base.

I've tried so many of those cardigans and they look terrible on me. I thought it was because I have to sit most of the time on my scooter, but my sister, who's 5'8" doesn't look good in them either. So, who does?

I've tried so many of those cardigans and they look terrible on me. I thought it was because I have to sit most of the time on my scooter, but my sister, who's 5'8" doesn't look good in them either. So, who does?

Honestly , I think it is some designer that just is trying to find something new to sell us. I have yet to see someone that looks good in those things.

Cori

Just returned from Vaca...

Can someone tell me who is in the finals... From what I gather from the posts here, Hope was voted off???

Please guys, bring me up to date.

Ricki, JR and Rob are in the finals.

Hope finally went home last week. At first Hope and Maks seemed to hate each other. Then the last few weeks, they seemed to have joined forces against the judges. I'm glad they finally started getting along with each other but it was all kind of negative and I was relieved to see her go.

Monday, Novemeber 21, 2011: Finals

Brooke has a wonderful purple or periwinkle gown with draped fabric over one shoulder. Her hair is worn back in a sophisticated style. She looks very glamorous. The gown would be a hit on any cruise ship.

What is distinctive about this gown is the draping. Various panels go in different directions. The folds of the panels are accented with sparkles of some sort that enhance the gown's design.

I can't tell much about Carrie Ann's attire. The pale-colored tank-style top with sequins here and there could be just that a tank top like the ones that are on store racks now seemingly by the thousands in every color combination for the holidays. Carrie Ann's hair is long and wavy tonight and looks lovely.

I like Brooke's dress also. Might be her best look of this season.

Funny that Derek and Rob just did the same kind of lift in the freestyles and I though Rob's was better. No ones first dances did anything for me.

Sorry for any mistakes, I'm only on my phone tonight.

Just saw all of Brooke's gown. It is a mermaid style; very, very "Red Carpet." Her hair is parted in the middle with a ballerina look from the front and a low, curly bun in the rear. She is wearing wide drop earrings. I agree with K and C Sailing that this is Brooke's best look of the entire season. She looks fabulous.

Can you believe who is the front runner tonight? I can't, but seeing is believing.

Oh, Ricki Lake's black and white feathered dance dress reminded me of an ostrich! I used to live in Africa. The "ostrich" dress brought back memories.

That was a great final!

For me Rob is certainly the dark horse, great! For me the freestyle of Rob and JR was close, with Ricki not so much so. LOL poor Kim in the audience looked unhappy, not being the normal center of attention!!!

Did you guys get a look at Kirsti? Does she look great or what?

Actually I tried on a dress for a cruise like Brooke was wearing, I love that style if you have the figure for it. I wish I could of seen more of it. I loved so much how they did her hair.

Archived