room size on Disney Magic

cruzinw/kids

I was on Disney Wonder-Magic's sister ship. We had a balcony- a real balcony not the porthole balcony. Our room was nice and spacious and I loved the split bathroom and mini tub. We have been on five lines. Princess, Carnival, RCCL, HAL and Disney.

Only HAL gave us as nice and spacious a room and we did have a small tub on HAL but no split bathroom and no privacy curtain between the sofa and bed area. We loved that privacy curtain for dressing as our daughter was with us. Her and hubby did not have to go in the bathroom to dress as they do on other lines.

From what I understand though I don't actually know as I have never booked a suite-the nicest room I have ever had was a balcony-that Disney's regular rooms are the size of a mini suite on RCCL.

That is why people feel Disney is not really expensive compared to other lines. You can book a balcony on Disney for less then a mini suite on another line. You only "save" on other lines if you go for the cheaper rooms.

I was on Disney Wonder-Magic's sister ship. We had a balcony- a real balcony not the porthole balcony. Our room was nice and spacious and I loved the split bathroom and mini tub. We have been on five lines. Princess, Carnival, RCCL, HAL and Disney.

Only HAL gave us as nice and spacious a room and we did have a small tub on HAL but no split bathroom and no privacy curtain between the sofa and bed area. We loved that privacy curtain for dressing as our daughter was with us. Her and hubby did not have to go in the bathroom to dress as they do on other lines.

From what I understand though I don't actually know as I have never booked a suite-the nicest room I have ever had was a balcony-that Disney's regular rooms are the size of a mini suite on RCCL.

That is why people feel Disney is not really expensive compared to other lines. You can book a balcony on Disney for less then a mini suite on another line. You only "save" on other lines if you go for the cheaper rooms.

According to dcl and rccl websites.....both are quotes for a 7 day western.

dcl....del family w/verandah 304sq. ft.( including verandah ) deck 5 mid

rccl....jr. suite 299sq. ft + 65sq. ft balcony deck 10 mid (mos)

dcl cost....$4,882.00

rccl cost....$3,189.00 both for mid Jan.

how can anyone justify this.....unless you have $$$$$$$ to burn!!!!!!!

dcl cost....$4,882.00

You can justify it by remembering that you are paying for not only the magic of Disney, but also Disney's quality and attention to detail. And of course, you gotta love the mouse.

please do not talk in the same breathe the quality you were receive on dcl as to that of rccl

i have been on both lines 5 times each, dcl is a few notches above

- David

please do not talk in the same breathe the quality you were receive on dcl as to that of rccl

i have been on both lines 5 times each, dcl is a few notches above

- David

David......in what way and does a few "notches" warrant the extra money? I sailed Disney this past March.....thought the ship was beautiful, service was excellent, and the verandah room was nice. But the food was average and the menu at dinner was very similar each nite ( esp. the kids menu ) The pools were standing room only, and if the weather turns bad the kids have nothing else to do unless they live at the clubs all day ( not my idea of a family vacation ) or watch movies all day. Castaway Cay is way to weather dependant, the day we were there it was sunny and warm but windy and the entire island was unusable because the sand was blowing into everyons skin. Everyone stayed on the ship and stood shoulder to shoulder in the pools. On any other island that I have been to this day would have been fine because of some sort of cover, this island is way to exposed to weather and currents. Just look at how many cruises missed this stop lately. The entertainment was excellent, but it was sad to see all the kids lined up like cattle to see the characters ( DCL should be less structured and the characters should be more available throught the ship ) Having said this....I love Disney, have been to the parks the last 4 years and actually think that the prices for DW are worth every penny. DCL might do a few things a little better than other cruise lines, but for the money they charge they need to be in a whole different class than the others....and it is difficult to defend there prices after seeing the good along with the not so good on my cruise. I find it hard to stomach that it will cost me an additional $1,800.00 for the priviledge of cruising with DCL.

dcl cost....$4,882.00

Well some people do. Just like on the fashion board. A bunch of us on a thread was bragging about deals for cruise clothes-you know $20 for a formal dress or $5 for a pair of shorts that we bought off season or a great deal of something someone found at a consignment shop or thrift store-ex. evening purse $2 at a thrift store-then this one woman posts that she found some designer belt for $100 at a consignment shop in Paris-I thought it was just hiliarious. To me that was her way of saying she has money. she has also posted she only goes on the top lines-no Princess, Celebrity, Carnival, RCCL or Disney for her.

My guess is people like that are WELL into the 6 digit income and I don't mean $100,000 a year but $500,000 a year or more. We have a good income but I still could never justify even spending $50 on a NEW belt-no matter the designer.

When we took our Disney cruise we got a great last minute deal on Disney Wonder. We basially for our veranda cabin (280 sq. feet) paid the same price we would for an ocean view on Sovereign or Fantasy. I do not expect that to happen again.

We are going on RCCL Mariner of the Seas this fall but we are going in an atruim cabin 165 sq. feet for me and hubby. Our daughter is going also but she is sharing a cabin with a friend and not us. So as you see normally we go on the other lines and stay in a less expensive room because that is what fits our income. We have only had a balcony one other time- besides on the Wonder. Ofcourse though if our daughter was rooming with us we would have booked a balcony on Mariner-as for 3 people the price is not too bad- but as this time she has a room mate and hubby is not comfortable rooming with a female who is not his relative (and vice versa) so we went for 2 atruim cabins. As I said we have never booked a suite or minisuite.

Well some people do. Just like on the fashion board. A bunch of us on a thread was bragging about deals for cruise clothes-you know $20 for a formal dress or $5 for a pair of shorts that we bought off season or a great deal of something someone found at a consignment shop or thrift store-ex. evening purse $2 at a thrift store-then this one woman posts that she found some designer belt for $100 at a consignment shop in Paris-I thought it was just hiliarious. To me that was her way of saying she has money. she has also posted she only goes on the top lines-no Princess, Celebrity, Carnival, RCCL or Disney for her.

My guess is people like that are WELL into the 6 digit income and I don't mean $100,000 a year but $500,000 a year or more. We have a good income but I still could never justify even spending $50 on a NEW belt-no matter the designer.

When we took our Disney cruise we got a great last minute deal on Disney Wonder. We basially for our veranda cabin (280 sq. feet) paid the same price we would for an ocean view on Sovereign or Fantasy. I do not expect that to happen again.

We are going on RCCL Mariner of the Seas this fall but we are going in an atruim cabin 165 sq. feet for me and hubby. Our daughter is going also but she is sharing a cabin with a friend and not us. So as you see normally we go on the other lines and stay in a less expensive room because that is what fits our income. We have only had a balcony one other time- besides on the Wonder. Ofcourse though if our daughter was rooming with us we would have booked a balcony on Mariner-as for 3 people the price is not too bad- but as this time she has a room mate and hubby is not comfortable rooming with a female who is not his relative (and vice versa) so we went for 2 atruim cabins. As I said we have never booked a suite or minisuite.

I totally understand everything you stated. All my comments are for the averabe joe-shmo like myself who really needs to watch his family vacation spending. It is very sad that DCL has the attitude of pay up or go elsewhare. Our trip was nice, but not worth the extra money. I hope that enough people start to cruise elsewhare so this greedy company comes to its senses! Heck.........for the price of two DCL cruises, you could take three cruises on a bunch of lines that are very similar to DCL. In no way can anyone justify this to me! ( if money is not an issue.....these comments are not directed your way! )

I totally understand everything you stated. All my comments are for the averabe joe-shmo like myself who really needs to watch his family vacation spending. It is very sad that DCL has the attitude of pay up or go elsewhare. Our trip was nice, but not worth the extra money. I hope that enough people start to cruise elsewhare so this greedy company comes to its senses! Heck.........for the price of two DCL cruises, you could take three cruises on a bunch of lines that are very similar to DCL. In no way can anyone justify this to me! ( if money is not an issue.....these comments are not directed your way! )

I really like Disney and if I was the type of person who had to stay in a suite every cruise I would pick Disney as their veranda cabins are very nice-280 square feet, split bathrooms, privacy curtain between sofa bed and double bed etc. We were 3 adults and it was very roomy. we did not feel cramped as we have on the other lines.

So I was not having that additude you think. What I said was Disney staterooms were roomier and nicer then most lines (except HAL that I have been on) and a veranda cabin was as nice as a suite on RCCL.

I do not understand the big deal about suites. Especially as they are just one big room-it would be diff. if there was a private bedroom for the parents-before I would spend that kind of money on a suite I would book two rooms.

momofmeg......Sorry if I misunderstood you. I only used the jr. suite comparison because it was the closest in size to a Disney verandah stateroom. I am very hapy to hear that a Disney stateroom is as nice as a jr. suite on the other line!!!!! I really enjoyed the verandah stateroom on DCL.

momofmeg......Sorry if I misunderstood you. I only used the jr. suite comparison because it was the closest in size to a Disney verandah stateroom. I am very hapy to hear that a Disney stateroom is as nice as a jr. suite on the other line!!!!! I really enjoyed the verandah stateroom on DCL.

Well I did enjoy disney and would be willing to cruise them again even in an inside cabin. Yes I do feel they are a little pricy but we had a wonderful time so we felt it was well worth it. I also feel the RCCL voyager class is a little pricy but we decided we would try them at least once. I feel Carnival is the best budget line-you do get value for your money there-but sometimes we want a nicer cruise then Carnival offers (you really do get what you pay for)-so I hope to cruise Disney again.

I really like Disney and if I was the type of person who had to stay in a suite every cruise I would pick Disney as their veranda cabins are very nice-280 square feet, split bathrooms, privacy curtain between sofa bed and double bed etc. We were 3 adults and it was very roomy. we did not feel cramped as we have on the other lines.

So I was not having that additude you think. What I said was Disney staterooms were roomier and nicer then most lines (except HAL that I have been on) and a veranda cabin was as nice as a suite on RCCL.

I do not understand the big deal about suites. Especially as they are just one big room-it would be diff. if there was a private bedroom for the parents-before I would spend that kind of money on a suite I would book two rooms.

In our case we book suites because we only have one child and also we knew we would take advantage of some of the perks that come with a suite.

On DCL the suites DO have a completely seperate bedroom and second full bathroom with jacuzzi tub as well as a shower.

Anne

The first time we booked probably 16 months in advance. Then the second time we booked the day they opened up bookings, but ended up cancelling because we built a vacation home and didn't have enough vacation time left to take a cruise because we had to take so much off to deal with the construction (how ironic is that?).

We booked the Royal Suite on a cruise on RCCL this October back in January 2004.

Anne

Anne

How far in advance did you have to book a suite. Non seem available for a very long time and we are spoiled with suites so we are hesitant to do

Disney as we have two kids and enjoy the extra room.

Lisa

Lisa we had a veranda cabin (do not confuse with "naviagtor's veranda) and we were 3 adults. Our daughter is 20. Our stateroom was like(I am guessing) 14-16 feet wide and like 20 feet long. I am talking about the room too not the entry way where you walk in and the clostes are on one side and the bathrooms on the other. It was almost as roomy as a Holiday Inn.

We walked in there were the closets on the left then the first bathroom (toilet and sink) then the rest of the closets and the other bathroom (small tub and sink). Then the queen sized bed with a clothing trunk across from it for storage. The a curtain that could be pulled down for privacy and a sofa (my daughter slept here) coffee table and across from that a dresser for storage and a mini fridge. Above the mini fridge was the TV. Past that was the door to the balcony. The balcony was just average sized but still nice-the spaciousness was more on the inside-as compared to our Carnival Miracle cruise where we had a HUGE balcony and just average sized room. We did not feel cramped at all. I have been told that most lines-the mini suite is this size-(except for HAL)

We have never booked a minisuite-too expensive for us-we have booked 2 rooms though (on RCCL) as we could not deal with the cramped space-3 people. Most lines will allow you to do this even with young children-as long as the cabins are next to each other. To me this was a better choice not just in cost but also we would have 2 bathrooms (2 toilets-2 showers etc.) From what I understand the suites are usually more eleborately decorated (I guess you would know better about that)-marble sinks, a jacuzzi tub and that is what you are paying for not the extra space-plus with a suite yiu get your own butler-to some that sounds nice- but to me not needed-as I am waited on hand and foot already-to me a butler is just another person you need to tip.

Now I am ofcourse posting from a person who lives on an upper middle class budget. We are not wealthy. We can afford to cruise about once a year and we do have to live on a budget.

We have never booked a minisuite-too expensive for us-we have booked 2 rooms though (on RCCL) as we could not deal with the cramped space-3 people. Most lines will allow you to do this even with young children-as long as the cabins are next to each other. To me this was a better choice not just in cost but also we would have 2 bathrooms (2 toilets-2 showers etc.) From what I understand the suites are usually more eleborately decorated (I guess you would know better about that)-marble sinks, a jacuzzi tub and that is what you are paying for not the extra space-plus with a suite yiu get your own butler-to some that sounds nice- but to me not needed-as I am waited on hand and foot already-to me a butler is just another person you need to tip.

Huh?

The smallest suite on DCL is the Cat. 3. That's what we were in. It was THREE TIMES LARGER than the Cat. 4 rooms, and probably almost six times larger than the smallest cabin. Yes, it was very nicely appointed, BUT, the SPACE IS most certainly what you pay for.

There is no butler service on DCL or RCCL. There is concierge service, but that is a very different thing!

This is the second post that you've had on this thread with utterly inaccurate information about suites on DCL. You might want to get your facts straight--that entire post was pretty much a waste of web server space... Because you OBVIOUSLY have NO IDEA what the SUITES are like on a DCL ship, you might want to just stop posting about them, because you're losing your credibility very quickly.

Anne

Huh?

The smallest suite on DCL is the Cat. 3. That's what we were in. It was THREE TIMES LARGER than the Cat. 4 rooms, and probably almost six times larger than the smallest cabin. Yes, it was very nicely appointed, BUT, the SPACE IS most certainly what you pay for.

There is no butler service on DCL or RCCL. There is concierge service, but that is a very different thing!

This is the second post that you've had on this thread with utterly inaccurate information about suites on DCL. You might want to get your facts straight--that entire post was pretty much a waste of web server space... Because you OBVIOUSLY have NO IDEA what the SUITES are like on a DCL ship, you might want to just stop posting about them, because you're losing your credibility very quickly.

Anne

Anne I am sorry but ORIGINALLY I was referring to RCCL minisuites (I know in one of these posts I said suite but I intended to type minisuite-got too much in a hurry I guess) and the guy who felt Disney was too expensive-what I was intending to say to HIM was that the rooms on Disney are so much nicer in size then both RCCL and Carnival-that a veranda room is comparable to a mini suite and that you only SAVE on these other lines if you book a less expensive room.

I was referring to mini suites on these other lines-not Disney-I think (but not sure) on RCCL you only get more then one room if you book an owner's suite. My income is upper middle class so although we are comfortable-we are not wealthy and so I look from a budget point of view. A minisuite is the most I could HOPE to afford. If I could afford to-ofcourse I would book a suite too. I was just trying to make a point to other people at my income level who complain Disney is too expensive. And beleive me there are ones who will only book a mini suite because they want the room- so they are putting out the bucks-and then turn around and say Disney is too expensive.

I admit I know absoulety NOTHING about suites on Disney. The original thread though was about room SIZE on Disney and I was trying to help ones out by letting them know the staterooms are bigger then other lines.

You know you could have been a little nicer to me-instead of shooting me down and saying I was losing my credibility-why not read all my posts-I never tried to contradict anything you said and I never meant any harm at all to you or anyone. After all isn't this a messageboard about different people's opinions?

Anne here I was answering vacation RCCL who as his name shows is a big fan of RCCL-I was NOT talking about Disney. Go back and read His and my posts-he was complaining Disney was too expensive and I said when you considered how nice the stateroom was compared to RCCL-it really was not that expensive.

You will also see he posted stateroom size of a RCCL minisuite-so it is slightly bigger then a Disney veranda room but just slightly. The veranda room is not 280 square feet as I originally said but 265 square feet (I am going by memory-I looked it up after posting that and saw I was wrong) and then another 60 square feet for the balcony. So 325 total.

• 9 months later...

:)

David......in what way and does a few "notches" warrant the extra money? I sailed Disney this past March.....thought the ship was beautiful, service was excellent, and the verandah room was nice. But the food was average and the menu at dinner was very similar each nite ( esp. the kids menu ) The pools were standing room only, and if the weather turns bad the kids have nothing else to do unless they live at the clubs all day ( not my idea of a family vacation ) or watch movies all day. Castaway Cay is way to weather dependant, the day we were there it was sunny and warm but windy and the entire island was unusable because the sand was blowing into everyons skin. Everyone stayed on the ship and stood shoulder to shoulder in the pools. On any other island that I have been to this day would have been fine because of some sort of cover, this island is way to exposed to weather and currents. Just look at how many cruises missed this stop lately. The entertainment was excellent, but it was sad to see all the kids lined up like cattle to see the characters ( DCL should be less structured and the characters should be more available throught the ship ) Having said this....I love Disney, have been to the parks the last 4 years and actually think that the prices for DW are worth every penny. DCL might do a few things a little better than other cruise lines, but for the money they charge they need to be in a whole different class than the others....and it is difficult to defend there prices after seeing the good along with the not so good on my cruise. I find it hard to stomach that it will cost me an additional $1,800.00 for the priviledge of cruising with DCL.
Don't spend the extra $'s, go less exspensive. Weather, Disney does not yet control! While tou are walking off the ship, and other lines, are docked further away, or tendered in. Disney gets the best parking spots. And look @ the ships speed. Faster ship, more time in ports. It' s not easy to figure out value. $pend less, get le$$. Metrowon

Are you sure, your hard earned money wasn't well spent? Go spend your next cruise on an all you can eat buffet marathon, with drunk college kids, at your dinner table. Eat dinner with a gambler who lost a couple of thousand, on one slot machine. Have a great time, for less money! Metrowon

Can anyone tell me when they give you the size of the room does it include the balcony or not.
Both Disney ships, cat 6, 5,4, are so wonderful. Split bath? Privacy curtian? Veranda privacy? The rooms compare to the uppity levels on other cruise lines, so the price is comparable. Disney dollars are well spent! Metrowon

Archived