Is a Coupon the same as on-board credit?

warmwinds

I received a Captain's club coupon forever ago...it was $50 off, and I complied with all the parameters of what dates to book between, etc. I was told to mail it in with final payment, but since I paid by credit card by phone, I was told to mail it in anyway and they would give a refund to my credit card that I had used for final payment.

No credit came through, so I called today and was told it was denied because I have the Shareholder on-board credit! What does one have to do with the other? What if I had sent the $50 coupon in BEFORE I sent in the info for my SH OBC...would the $200 SH OBC been denied because I had already received the $50 coupon?

We're not talking about competing OBC's, this was a COUPON I received as a "Thank you" for cruising with us in my Captain's Club e-newsletter.

Does this sound right that they are denying it because of an existing OBC?

They are right...so you are lucky that you sent in the coupon AFTER the request for stockholders credit because, yes, you would have lost out on the $200.

We upgraded to a balcony on one of our RCCL cruises and that is considered a 'benefit' and we were denied the SH credit.

Marianne

Wow, I sort of dozed through all those other threads about competing OBC since we don't use a TA so I never thought we'd have more than one OBC, I had no idea that one of THEIR coupons would be treated this way. I guess I've gone from being pissed to thinking I dodged a bullet...but you're right, it does stink.

If the OP sent in the coupon before asking for Shareholder credit she would have NOT lost out on the $200 SHC. Investor relations (or whoever coordinates the various discounts provided) would have voided the $50 coupon credit and given the greater of the two that being the $200 SHC....but the OP would not have received both of them.

Where things get tricky are the times TA's advertise OBC for booking a cruise and they don't tell you if the credit is from them or from RCCL. When you apply for the shareholder benefit, you find out about any conflicts. Try to pin the TA down about where the OBC comes from; their pocket or RCCL. There are also times when the TA will sweeten a cruiseline deal by adding additional OBC to an existing OBC offer from the cruiseline. Only the TA's portion is combinable with the shareholder benefit!

Archived