HELP ME DECIDE!! GRAND or RUBY??

umieesa

I'm booking the Ruby Jan 29th sailing this weekend. I've never cruised Princess and the reason I'm choosing this ship and line at that particular time is because I prefer to pass on San Juan. We've been there, and while I'm always up for new experiences I don't feel a need to go back. We did a city tour and we walked up to the forts and did some shopping. It wasn't terrible.... but I'm more a beach person and never having been to Grand Turk before, I'd like to try something new!

I'm glad all ur responses said Ruby Princess as I no doubt would've been agonizing if it'd gone the other way!

Grand Turk has a great beach and Pool area! It also has some shopping! St Maartin and St Thomas it is not, but it is decent! Also they have a wave rider!!

IMG_8902.jpg.fa73f1d5532a029879ed7e980d17231c.jpg

IMG_8898.jpg.9e2d7b8bf9d43ed0241cfcab0cb31e69.jpg

IMG_8896.jpg.67c71d42e825a261ce7b019fdd5eee84.jpg

IMG_8886.jpg.cbfaf4e1f048641fa939edbd176d909f.jpg

IMG_0376.jpg.a58b7d9b1fe71555f1526a26d04485de.jpg

The Grand is a wonderful ship. We sailed her in January of this year before the drydock. However, when it comes to that many people in the port - I would always choose less. Less people means better land experience. The Ruby seems to be the much better bet in this instance.

I went ahead and made the switch, but I'm just really hoping there's some sort of splash pad for my almost 2 year old (it's not the end of the world if there's not, but not sure how much else he can really do?!).

And as much as I really wanted to see San Juan and try some Mallorcas, I guess it'll have to wait for another time ;) because I agree with the PPs -- I don't think I can deal with 25000 people in port :eek:

Jim (my dad's name btw)...thanks a lot! Enjoy your cruise and I'll be sure to check back for pics :)

I went ahead and made the switch, but I'm just really hoping there's some sort of splash pad for my almost 2 year old (it's not the end of the world if there's not, but not sure how much else he can really do?!).

And as much as I really wanted to see San Juan and try some Mallorcas, I guess it'll have to wait for another time ;) because I agree with the PPs -- I don't think I can deal with 25000 people in port :eek:

Jim (my dad's name btw)...thanks a lot! Enjoy your cruise and I'll be sure to check back for pics :)

umieesa, check out this site!( http://www.beyondships.com/index.html )

It has many pictures of the Ruby and other ships along with great discriptions of all areas.

I do not recall ever having seen a splash pool, but I do know there have been numerous chicldren of all ages in the main pool area.

Jim

Thanks to everyone who posted...it obviously seems the Ruby is the way to go! As much as I wanted to see San Juan, I'll have to save that for another time. The crowds in port is a deal clencher, plus the fact that everyone on here seemed to unanimously choose the Ruby!

Just came to the same conclusion for our cruise in February. The port time in San Juan really doesn't allow time to really see the city. Best to save it for a trip that includes a full day :)

Okay, so calling Princess did not prove to be helpful :(

But for anyone else who might be interested it does seem to be that only the Grand offers "a "Splash Pool" located adjacent to the Youth Center on Deck 16 (Sports) Fwd"

while the Ruby offers "a "Paddling Pool" located adjacent to the Youth Center on Deck 17 (Sports) Aft"

This is based on everything Ive read online on various travel/cruise sites.

Little bummed out by this, but I guess there are trade-offs to being the only ship in port ;)

I am not one that has a problem with crowds, but a lot of people do.

Personally I really enjoyed seeing Puerta Rico, as we did about 3 hours walking with a cruise member who "knew" his way around.:)

If any of you that has responed to this question has been on the Ruby or this itinerary and have written a report, would you let me know, as I would love to read the report.

Archived