Why should I upgrade to a mini?

BalconyGal

Once you have the mini you'll never go back....trust me! :)

I agree if you can afford on each cruise. I'd love to only book mini's ever but sometimes my finances dictate that I book something else just to get the opportunity to cruise. I love those mini's though!

As suggsted for 40 bucks it is probably worth trying but for our cruising needs (one week cruises) we never were tempted to go back to a mini from our preffered Caribe balcony.

The couch, extra tv, and bathtub are not necessary for us and what the heck you are on a cruise and if you are looking for a spectacular, spacious room this isn't the vaction for you (unless perhaps you can afford a premium suite).

I could imagine that on a cold weather or longer duration cruise the larger cabin might have more attraction.

What I wish Princess would do is add some benefits to the mini suite such as expanded room service menu, etc. to make this cabin category more attractive. The X concierge cabins are an example where you can get a full hot breakfast from room service. This one benefit would make me sign up. JMHO.

After having our first mini for a Caribbean cruise we realized one of the big benefits was the additional storage space (more shelving etc which was really useful for our snorkeling gear). The larger bathroom with tub had lots more space in which to hang soggy swim suits up to dry. We've had balconies and mini's since then and both are great because we're cruising, but if I had the opportunity to upgrade for $40/pp I'd snap it up and be doing the happy-dance too! :D

On some ships in the AE minis (all two of them are aft) the beds cannot be combined into a queen and there is no tub. :eek:

That is true currently on the Grand and the Star.

Didn't some ships have forward AE's that had no balcony? Maybe that isn't true any longer. :confused:

The Princess category description show cat AE is as follows: Balcony/Twins/Shower/SingleSofa The piece in that description that appears different from other mini suites is the Shower only. Other Mini Suites indicate Tub Shower Combo.

We have sailed several times in a Mini Suite and loved it. I cannot think of a reason I would ever select a Balcony over a Mini Suite other than cost. We love the size of the balcony, the separate sitting area, two tv's, sofa and chair in sitting area, larger bathroom. I also believe we received upgrade bath amenities in the mini-suite. Not sure that is still the same.

Congratulations on the opportunity! Have a fantastic cruise!

Thanks everyone. I took the plunge and we'll see where I end up. :D

Now, how do I stop myself from checking princess dot com everyday to see if I've been assigned!?

I agree with your decision and with the others who voted for the mini! On my recent MR cruise I found our Caribe cabin a bit too small. Nowhere for 2 people to sit except on the bed. I have a covered AD mini on Emerald Deck for my Alaska cruise next May.:)

Be sure to let us know what cabin you get!:)

An upgrade to a mini suite from a balcony for $40 is well worth it to me. The extra sitting area is lovely and having a bathroom you can turn around in is wonderful.

Just remember with an AE mini guarantee you have about a 90% chance of getting a totally uncovered balcony, because the only covered mini suite balconies are the AD mini suites on Emerald deck and there are only a handful of these cabins.

Well, this story has taken an unexpected turn. Because I am either crazy or obsessed :rolleyes: I was fiddling around on Princess dot com and discovered that the Grand which sails a day before my Ruby cruise is cheaper and is going to the same ports. I had planned on spending 2 days in FLL before the cruise and a few days in Key West after. So....I switched, got an AD for approx. $350 less and now will have an extra day in Key West.

All in all I am very happy. Thanks for all the input everyone. I'll let you know how it goes in a review when I get back.

Archived