Baltic cruise in August

La Gitana

Hi, I've been reading the threads here for several months, have learned a lot, and now I have a question.

We just booked a Princess Cruise to the Baltics and St. Petersburg at the beginning of August. From reviews I've read, the weather can be nice and warm or as cool as mid-50's.

Any advice on clothes to wear the two days we'll be in St. Petersburg? We'll be with tour groups, but I still don't want to look too touristy.

DH and I are in our early '60's. When I think of Russia, I think either Dr. Zhivago or grim Soviet Empire with women in babushkas. I need to update that mental image!

I was on the Grand last August on the same cruise. St Petersburg is a GREAT city. No matter what you wear, you will look like a tourist - but I wouldn't worry about it. The key word to the entire cruise is layers. I took a couple of those "warm up" suits so that I could add or remove the jacket. Not only do you worry about the weather being changeable, many of the palaces and museums are not air conditioned and get stuffy.

I also recommend a rain jacket. I am a huge fan of goretex (Lands End or LL Bean) because they weigh nothing, roll into a little ball for packing without wrinkling and, best of all, breathe. I would also emphasize comfort. Most days are long and if you want to see as much as possible, you will wear yourself out. So, make sure your clothes and especially your shoes are built for comfort.

his was an amazing trip and I am sure you will enjoy it.

We are doing the Baltics/Russia cruise in May, but from everything I've heard and read, gbc is right on target. Only a couple things I would add: take 2 pairs of walking shoes so you can alternate them and/or have a spare if one pair gets wet, irritates your feet, etc. The other thing is to put together a basic packing plan, then monitor the weather as your cruise approaches. Then you can throw in an extra sweater if it's cooler than normal or a lighter weight pair of pants (or capris or shorts, whatever) and t-shirt if it's warm. I wouldn't wear shorts in St. Petersburg, even if it's warm. Some places really frown on wearing shorts into cathedrals and such. A cotton skirt or lightweight pants would be a better bet....and you would look less touristy!

I've also read it's good to have a hat (even if it's just a baseball type) because it can be very windy at sea and also hats keep you very warm!

Archived