Late flight out of Tampa after Ryndam cruise; how to spend the day?

tcook052

I'm planning some flight options to fly home to Canada after a Ryndam sailing in January and one is for a late, 6PM, flight with one connection in Minneapolis. Normally I book a a flight just after lunch when disembarking a cruise so wanted some ideas about how to fill the 9 or so hours between walking off the ship and the flight.

Of course there are other options like leaving earlier in the afternoon but making an extra connection in Atlanta but that really holds less appeal as it just trades time in Tampa for time on the road in airports and the less time I can spend in airports with missed connections, security, etc. the better.

Is there somewhere near the port I can secure my luggage and head into town for the day? Sights near the port? Even a decent shopping mall would be one way to kill part of the day. Any CCers familiar with Tampa or locals with ideas I'd appreciate hearing them as I'd rather have a plan than just arrive and wing it which really isn't my style.

Your biggest issue is what to do with your luggage.

Here's a possible option for you. Take a taxi from the cruise port to the Renaissance Tampa Hotel at International Plaza. Check your luggage with one of the bellmen. You don't need to indicate that you're not a guest. Just mention that you want to check your bags, and you should have no problem.

This hotel is very close to the Tampa airport (less than 1 mile away - you can see the runway from there) and also is part of the nicest mall in Tampa, International Plaza. Spend your time at the mall (they have an outstanding dining area, but after a cruise, food will probably have lesser appeal to you) and then return back to the hotel.

Pick up your luggage, and either take a taxi, or if you're bold enough, take their complimentary hotel shuttle to the airport.

Of course, be sure to add a nice tip for the bellman and the shuttle driver.

A few links:

http://www.shopinternationalplaza.com/

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/maps/travel/tpaim-renaissance-tampa-international-plaza-hotel/

You don't need to indicate that you're not a guest. Just mention that you want to check your bags, and you should have no problem.

Good idea, though I tried this one at the O'Hare Hilton and the bellman asked if I was a guest and I had to sheepishly reply no. I suppose it's always worth a shot however and nothing ventured, nothing gained. :)

Not sure where you could put your luggage but the aquarium is very close to the port -- and they offer some special tours such as manatee viewing and "behind the scenes with penguins"

http://www.flaquarium.org/

There is a mall nearby, with a number of interesting looking restaurants. Channelside:

http://www.channelsidebayplaza.com/directions.html

Not much interesting-looking there except the restaurants. But you might be able to get an early brunch, then check out the aquarium.

I think I will make my day around the Aquarium. I've always enjoyed past visits to other aqariums in places like New Orleans, Honolulu and Vancouver so could really enjoy a leisurely paced lunch and visit.

I had sent an inquiry to the Tampa Bay Visitor Information Center before starting this thinking I wouldn't hear back for days because of the long weekend but was surprised to see an email arrive in my inbox which had some excellent suggestions about handy luggage storage which I'll share:

The Florida Aquarium will store your luggage while you visit there and Destination Tampa Bay, a travel agency in Terminal 2 will also store your luggage for a small fee.

So looks like I'm set. Thanks for the input to all and I'm starting to get excited about the W. Carib. cruise. :)

Is there somewhere near the port I can secure my luggage and head into town for the day? Sights near the port? Even a decent shopping mall would be one way to kill part of the day. Any CCers familiar with Tampa or locals with ideas I'd appreciate hearing them as I'd rather have a plan than just arrive and wing it which really isn't my style.

Best thing to do with the luggage is to apply for the luggage direct program on board. That way, they check you in, print your boarding passes and luggage tags, you put your luggage out as normal the night before and you will not have to see it until you get home. (Unless you are going through customs, then you pick it up, go through customs and drop it at the luggage direct van) That way you can spend the day the way you want without worrying about your luggage -- and when you get to the airport you head straight to security.

Archived