About Fort Lauderdale and hotel

Travel_Lover28

Can anyone tell me about Sheraton Fort Lauderdale Beach Hotel? I just booked it on Priceline and I don't hear anything good about it and I'm wary about it:eek:. First time in Fort Lauderdale, are there things to do around and walking distance from Sheraton? Is it safe to walk around? Is public transportation accessible or should I rent a car? I will be there for two days but I'm not sure if I should stay around in Fort Lauderdale or also visit Miami.

Please any suggestions. :confused:

it should be fine..there are things to walk to, PLUS you can hop on http://www.suntrolley.com (check schedule..) and there is also bus service....http://www.broward.org/BCT/Pages/Default.aspx I can't remember exactly but i THINK that the 40 bus goes along the waterfront area.....to the Galleria Mall which is really nice!

However, a car is helpful if you want to explore more..kind of depends what you want to do....if you're just going to hang around the hotel you probably can cab it, sun trolley or walk....

The area is safe as well..though of course always use common sense.....

this is pretty easy to get to with Sun Trolley...

http://www.theharborshops.com/

the sheraton was renovated a couple years ago...very popular with cruisers.....

Can anyone tell me about Sheraton Fort Lauderdale Beach Hotel? I just booked it on Priceline and I don't hear anything good about it and I'm wary about it:eek:. First time in Fort Lauderdale, are there things to do around and walking distance from Sheraton? Is it safe to walk around? Is public transportation accessible or should I rent a car? I will be there for two days but I'm not sure if I should stay around in Fort Lauderdale or also visit Miami.

Please any suggestions. :confused:

Have stayed there a few times. Got a room in the beach building. Check the reviews on Tripadvisor, they are mixed. If you got it on Priceline you will not have overpaid for it. I think many of the bad reviews come from people who booked directly with the hotel so paid a lot more money for their rooms. Also, I have stayed in many nicer Sheraton's so people might have higher expectations. This one is on the beach so what it lacks is made up for by the ocean :D.

We walked all over from the hotel but we enjoy walking. Fun to walk down the beach to the rocks and watch the other cruise ships leave, adds to the pre-cruise excitement.

We felt the area was safe but were back at the hotel by 10pm. Not sure later on. I would not bother with a car here.

Our favorite pre-cruise activities are the water taxi, cool on the water in the winter months, so bring a fleece. We usually find a lunch spot then ride around and enjoy the sights and narration. We think this is a better orientation than offered by bus or other tours. Our other favorite is the tour of the Bonnet house and gardens. (Get off at Gallery ONe Doubletree stop.) There is an admission fee for guided tour and access to property. We enjoyed the Chicago connection-the pieces acquired by this family were important masterpieces in the Art Institute of Chicago's collection. WE walk the state park, small fee for pedestrians and it is adjacent to the Bonnet property. WE go to the beach and walk along the beach and look for funny hats and shirts and anything we forgot at the souvenir stands! WE look at the iguanas sunning themselves! We have not been impressed with the taxi service, vehicles seem to be very old and cabbies seem to be somewhat uninformed as to restaurant locations. We went to a movie in the entertainment district one year, and were very disappointed. Theatre was old and beat up, crowd was dicey, could not wait to leave. There are many excellent restaurants. We like Canyon, Capital Grille, Seasons 52, all close to shopping mall, which we also like for last minute purchases of Florida type items! Safety? Just remember it is more like an urban area than a vacation spot because you have visitors from all over the world, so use urban common sense. It would not be necessary to go to the hassle of visiting Miami, unless nightclubs are your thing. FLL will give you a good impression of Florida! Last year we bought on the Gulf coast tho, so now we just use that as cruise base when we are there and drive across alligator alley.

We stayed there a few years ago before the big renovation. It is right on the beach and we quite enjoyed it. Other than the funky Bahia Cabana restaurant it tends to be a bit removed from restaurants. It is on a bus route that will get you to a number of places in the city.

It's very safe to walk around, there is public transportation and there are places within walking distance. I'm sure that you can read plenty of good things about this hotel on Tripadvisor.

We are thinking of extending our cruise over christmas -do the eateries/shops open over christmas in FL ?:confused:

Have stayed there a few times. Got a room in the beach building. Check the reviews on Tripadvisor, they are mixed. If you got it on Priceline you will not have overpaid for it.

Yes, was happy with what I got for it until I read the mixed review. Thank you for easing my mind. Does anyone know if I am able to request a room in the beach building? I am afraid that since this was purchased via Priceline that I will get the lowest category room. :(

This is my 25th anniversary and a first time in Fort Lauderdale. Would be so happy to have everything go perfectly well.:)

How is the weather early November?

Yes, was happy with what I got for it until I read the mixed review. Thank you for easing my mind. Does anyone know if I am able to request a room in the beach building? I am afraid that since this was purchased via Priceline that I will get the lowest category room. :(

This is my 25th anniversary and a first time in Fort Lauderdale. Would be so happy to have everything go perfectly well.:)

How is the weather early November?

The trouble with reviews are that some people are born complainers and will gripe about any little thing and Tripadvisor has given them a forum in which to do that...I always try to weigh out all the reviews and see if there are more positives than negatives

Archived