Review of Carnival Conquest, 8/28/11-FANTASTIC

High Seas Texan

Greetings. I am just off the Carnival Conquest for a sailing on August 28, and had the best time. I wanted to share my comments while still fresh in my mind. I was traveling solo, as my partner was unable to make the cruise due to some health problems.

I was in cabin 9206, a Junior Suite on the Lido Deck.. I had read many comments on this cabin, and most made it sound like an undesirable choice due to location, shape, noise. I LOVED this cabin. I would book it again if sailing the Conquest again. This was my eighth cruise on the Conquest. I have had Grand suites and Ocean suites, and this was the most enjoyable of all of them. The cabin has a different shape due to its location at the very front of the ship. This gives the cabin a bit more room. There is an extra chair which is nice if receiving guests. The cabin has an angle shape, and there is a window that looks out onto the front deck. Some people have reviewed this window as a negative due to the privacy factor of the public deck. I loved seeing out to the front of the ship. This deck was seldom used. During the day, there is reflective film on the window so people cannot see in, even if pressing their face next to the glass. At night, with the lighrts on you could see in, BUT, the public deck is closed and locked at 7 PM, os privacy was never a problem. The balcony is smaller that the other suites, but more than adequate for what I, and even I and my partner would want to use it for. Yes, it was windy when the ship was cruising, but I thought it felt great to be sitting there in the breeze. I sat out on the balcony most nights after returning to the cabin from dinner, the shows, the bars, and found it very relaxing. When in port, this balcony had a great view of the docks and the late runners. The plusses for this cabin, IMHO are the extra space, the sitting area apart from the sleeping area, and the location on the Lido, making it very convenient to grab some food and beverage from the bars and buffet. It was especially great for late night pizza runs.

I had begun my vacation in Galveston two days prior to sailing to enjoy the gulf and get in the mood for the cruise. I stayed at The San Luis. I always use this hotel for pre and post cruise stays. I stay on the Club 10 floor, which I find a great value. The rooms are a bit more pricey, but it is adults only, no children allowed. They provide a nice light breakfast each morning, as well as bottled water and candy bar each afternoon. The San Luis has one of the best restaurants on the island, The Steakhouse. I dine there each night. Another perk to staying on the Club 10 floor is a discount in the hotel shop. I always find something there I feel I need. In this case, I treated myself to a new Tommy Bahama shirt for the cruise.

The San Luis provide complimentary transfers to the ship, and there is no charge to leave the car in the garage for the week. The hotel has two vehicles, a Cadillac Escalade and a Bentley. For this cruise, the hotel took me to the cruise terminal in the Bentley! I really felt special arriving in such style. Thank you San Luis!

I was a bit worried about going through embarkation as I had read the terminal was torn up, being re-done for the Magic coming into Galveston. IT was not bad. Embarkation went smoothly and quickly. The car dropped my bags off with one of the porters, then drove me down to the entrace point for the passengers so I did not have to walk far. Things are a bit different due to the construction, but the lines moved quickly and efficiently . Since I was in a suite, I had the benefit of VIP check in. The VIP lines moved better I thought than they have in the past. I arrived at the terminal about 11:30 AM, and I was on board by 12:15. I went to the Lido, as this is where they direct all passengers for the buffet options, and a place to wait for the rooms to be ready at 1:30. I met up with some friends from our roll call baord. Several of us had sailed together on this cruise last year, and it was pleasant to catch up and renew our ship board friendships. Although the temperatures in Galveston were hot, it was comfortable on the Lido. In no time, it was 1:30 and I went to find the cabin and see what accommodation I had for the week. As I mentioned above, I LOVED the cabin. I ahd made arrangements through Bon Voyage for some special items for the cruise, and they were all there waiting for me: One dozen red roses (when I thought I was traveling with my partner), a smaller arrangement of flowers for the cocktail table, a box of cookies (these were delicious! Fresh, soft, chewy....yummmmmm) a fruit basket (a cruise just seems better if there is a fruit basket-sl classic movie accessory for the cabin!), a Carnival gift package that included four cans of Coke, a Carnival insulated cooler, a mug snd CArnival cap, and a bottle of white wine. The cruise line also had sent a bottle of sparkling wine ( I guess for being a past cruise passenger) and another fruit basket. I was well stocked now for the week.

In not time the bags arrived, so I unpacked everything. Got settled into the cabin, all neat and ship shape, then went down for the muster drill. When I returned,my cabin steward, Neil, was there ti greet me. he unlocked the mini bar, and brought me several nice buckets of ice which he kept filled daily.

I went back to the Lido bar and caught up with more of the roll call members, then went to explore the ship a bit to re acquaint myself where everything was located. This included a stop in the spa to schedule some appointments for the week. I love the spas on the ships, and always try and treat myself to a couple of treatments. For this cruise, it was a mani/pedi and a massage, facial, head and face shave. In the exploration of the ship, I also passed the display for the Steakhouse Reservations and the Chef's Table. I have onde the Chef's table in the past, an wanted to experience it again. I was not sure if they would let or want a single booking, but they took the reservation. This special Chef's Table is limited to 12 people, and is offered Tuesdays and Wednesdays only.

I had booked on line a reservation for The Point, the specaily steakhouse restaurant on board. I had read on Cruise Critics that in the past, those going the first night were treated to a complimentary bottle of wine. Nothing was said about this on my email confirmation, and some posts indicated this was no longer the case. I was delighted to find they are still offering this perk! My reservation was set for 9:00 PM, but the hostess called and asked if I would like to come earlier, so I wnet at 8:15. I selected a bottle of Chardonnay for my comp wine, and as such, I ordered the Sea Bass as an entree. I also had the onion soup, a Cesar Salad and ice cream for dessert. The experience was so delightful, I booked the restaurant for each night of the cruise, save the night of the Chef's Table, which was set for Tuesday. I lingered over the bottle of wine, finished it off, then went to listen to some music. I found the lobby bar fit my taste and hung out there most evenings, both before and after dinner. It is a great location as most everyone will pass by there, either on level 3, where it is located, or looking over the railing on the upper decks as they move from one end of the ship to the otehr, and look over the rail. I saw a lot of people, old friends on board, and made new friends. People seemed to be in a especially good temper this cruise. I am sure the ship ws full, as Carnival most always sails full, but it seemed less crowed and hectic this cruise. Others commented on this feel as well. After a cocktail (Lemon Drop) it was time to turn in for the night. I returned to the cabin, which had been turned down and a towel animal left for me. The beds had been set up in "twin" format, and since I was alone, I left it as such. This worked well for me, especially when laying out clothes to wear for the next day. I fixed a drink from the mini bar and set out on the balcony for a bit, enjoying the breeze and looking at the stars. Yes, it was breezy out there, but it felt good.

END OF DAY 1

Day 2, a FUN Day at Sea!

I slept beautifully the first night. I had decided to treat myself to room service coffee for the first morning, and had hung the card on the door last night before retiring. Promptly at 7:00 am, the requested delivery time, room service appeared with my caraf of coffee, with plenty of extra cream and a bagle with cream cheese. I slipped int one of the roomy and comfy robes and took some coffee out onto the balcony. This is one of the rituals I enjoy on vacation, especially on a cruise. I had planned on having coffee in the room, then going to the main dining room for breakfast. With the bagel however, I was not hungry enough for breakfast, so I just enjoyed the full pot of coffee on the balcony. Finishing that, I drew a bath and enjoyed the jetted tub in the suite, dressed, then went out exploring and seeing what I could do for the morning. At the Lido bar I met some of the Cruise Critics members. I had purchased one of the unlimited soada cards the first day, so I took advantage of this and had some juice. The next drink, I had them mix hald orange juice with club soda. A refreshing beverage. For me, it was to early to have alcohol, but I enjoyed sharing the bar time with others. Bloody Mary's were the drink of choice, and they looked mighty good. I had dressed in my new swimming costume, complete with cover up shirt, and I made my way up to deck 10 at the rear of the ship for some sun and a few chapters of the obligatory trashy vacation book. There were not to many people out yet, at least in the rear of the ship, so it was peaceful. A beautiful day, the sun behind me, I ws able to lay on the chaise and look at the sky and clouds. Perfect. I allowed myself an hour and a half out in the sun, then back to the Lido bar for more beverage on the soda card and back to the cabin to refresh for the 12 noon cooking demonstration in The Point Steakhouse. This lasted one hour, and was well attended. Four recipes were demonstrated, and some samples given. After this I went to the main dining room for lunch. I always enjoy lunch in the main dining room, and an opportunity to meet new people. Lunch was good. I had Salad Nicoise as a entree, which was wonderful.. Discussion at lunch, as often is the case when seated with strangers, centered on the food so far consumed on board. I had read about the new menus Carnival was implementing. Everyone seemed quite pleased with what they had for dinner the first night. Even though I had selected the Steakhouse for my dinner, I looked at the menus on the television and I saw seveal selections I would have been happy with. You might ahve figured out by now that I am a foodie, and I remember all of my travels by what I had to eat.:)

After lunch, it was time to go to the Crusie Critics official meet and greet. This was in the Blues Bar, the piano bar on the Promenade Deck. IT was great to put faces with the screen names of everyone we had been chatting with for months. Special thanks to the Spanky Sisters, Angie and Patty for all the efforts they put into hosting this gathering. We had a nice afternoon, joking and gesting with each other. Several of us decided to meet up the next day to do the water slide, as we had not done this in the past. I must say I am a fifty-two year old man, and thought I might be to old for this activity. I was encouraged to partake in this by other CC members. More on this adventure in tomorrows recap.

After this Cruise Critics meet and greet, there was some down time. I had my first spa appointment, a mani/pedi to get ready for the first "Cruise Elegant" night. I had the Fire and Ice treatment, and SO enjoyed this. I would encourage every man to treat themselves to this. People do notice a gentleman's nails and it is nice to have your toes look good for the sandals one wears on a cruise vacation. I enjoy just the pampering aspect of the spa experience. This treatment took almost 2 hours, but was so much fun. I found myself caught up in conversation with the nail technician as well as the other guests in the spa.

After the spa, I went back to the cabin to bathe and dress for the evening. For Cruise Elegant night, I chose to wear Tuxedo Trousers with a White Dinner Jacket. I like to get dressed up, and enjoy seeing tohers dressed up as well. Since Carnival calls formal night "Cruise E;egant", you can really get away with anything. I like this. If you do not feel like dressing formally, you will find others in the same mind set, but if you do, then there will be others dressed formally as well. This brings people together like the different elements of a cocktail, mixes them together and the result is genius! People just have a good time. Fun for all and All for fun!

For me, it was off to the Lobby Bar to enjoy some pre dinner music. I had some Lemon Drops, chatted with the friendly people gathering for pictures and just enjoying the people and music. Before I knew it, it was time for my 8:30 dinner time in the steakhouse. Dinner was FANTASTIC. I decided to do classic steakhouse fare and had a shrimp cocktail, Cesar Salad, Filet, blue, baked potato with ALL the fixings, and for dessert, some of the home made ice cream with coffee. Dinner was relaxed, good people watching, then off to the show lounge for the first production show, Viola Paris! I had seen this show many times on previous sailings, but the cast was mostly new, so there was a different twist to the interpretation of the numbers. It was an enjoyable as always. Something about seeing beautiful girls in feathers, heavy make-up and fishnet stockings! Nice looks on the show boys as well. I enjoyed the band performance as well. After the show, I was off to the disco to see what CC mates might be hangning out, but things were quiteting down. It was after midnight by now, so I returned to my cabin. Again, I sat out on the balcony for a bit before bed. It was windy, but refreshing to me. Living in the DFW area where the summer has been SO hot and y dry, I loved being in the breeze and in the moist sea air. Lights dimmed and into the comfy bed.

END OF DAY 2

After lunch, it was time to go to the Crusie Critics official meet and greet. This was in the Blues Bar, the piano bar on the Promenade Deck. IT was great to put faces with the screen names of everyone we had been chatting with for months. Special thanks to the Spanky Sisters, Angie and Patty for all the efforts they put into hosting this gathering. We had a nice afternoon, joking and gesting with each other. Several of us decided to meet up the next day to do the water slide, as we had not done this in the past. I must say I am a fifty-two year old man, and thought I might be to old for this activity. I was encouraged to partake in this by other CC members. More on this adventure in tomorrows recap.

I concur, they did a great job and it was lovely meeting you :)

DAY THREE, Second Fun Day at Sea! And it WAS!

I woke up early this day. I always rest and sleep well on a cruise, but this time really seemed peaceful and restful. I had doubts about sleeping in the twin set up, but it was fine. The linens seemd a better quality than in the past, which have always been top notch. The robes seemed better this time as well. SO, here I am, the second day at sea, up early and down the hall on the Lido Deck to get some morning coffee before I plan on going to the Main Dining Room for full breakfast. Usually, I do not like dining in the Lido, on any ship. Too crowded, to hectic. Carnival has done aways with the trays on the Lido I noticed, same as they have on Holland america, which is owned by Carnival. The Lido buffet workes better on Carnival than Holland in my opinion, for a couple of reasons. FIRST, there is a clear line, with an beginning and and end. Even though there are no longer trays, the plastic plates are more like serving trays, verry large, with room to balance a bowl, or a drink if you choose. Of course if yuou are VERY HUNGRY, and want to pig out, there os plenty of room to load that plate up! I found the selections and quality much improved as well. I notices on some evenings, passing through, there was carved roast beef on the buffet, and one day at lunch, I had carved roasted turkey. Yum. I am digressing, but the bottom line here is although I planned on just having coffee here on the Lido, I enjoyed a fantastic full breakfast. I had eggs cooked to order, over, very well done, some delicious sweet rolls, buttered grits, sausages, orange juice and coffee with extra cream. So pleasant. IT was a very relaxed and pleasant way to begin the day.

There was a mingling of excitement this morning as I ahd agreed to go down the water slide, for the first time, with my CC friends. After breakfast, I went back to the cabin, already cleaned and refreshed for the day and changed into my swimming costume. I then made my way to the top deck where the slide begins. I get there early for the appointed meeting time to get my courage up to make the plunge. It was overcast and VERY windy up there, but the air felt good. At first, there were not many people going down the slide, and I wondered if it was even open. It was, and the line began to form for the thrill of the slide. I was watching people go down. All ages were represented, which made me more comfortable. I thought there would be more water flowing down the slide. It looked a bit light. I saw some people get "stuck" going down, and have to push and pull their way down. Other people slipped very fast down. There did not seem to be any explanation why some went faster and easier than others. I was getting psyched now to take my turn. We had decided that 11 AM was to be the meeting time. 11 o'clock comes, and goes, and no one else of my CC group shows up. Okay. Fine. I will do it all alone. I am getting ready to take my turn in line, when the SPA CITY GIRLS show up, and we get in line to go down the slide. The line moved fast, and soon I am standing at the top of the slide, going under the bar and SWOOP-I am sliding down the water trough, fast. Very fast. Then I am plunging into the bottom, a mouth full of salt water in my mouth and face and eyes. For some reason, I had not expected the water to be SALT water, even though I knew they used sea water/sat water in the pools. Surprise! No problem. I want to do the slide again! And I do! This was such fun. To think I have lived for 52 years an it took a Carnival Fun Ship Cruise for me to expand my level of entertainment and excitement. WOW!

I return to my cabin and get cleaned up and refreshed for lunch in the main dining room. I am at a table for eight, and one couple is also booked for the CHEF'S TASTING DINNER tonight. We have a high spirited conversation anticipating what we will have. Lunch was a nice chilled vegetable soup, salad with blue cheese dressing and a chocolate eclair. Very bad for you. Very enjoyable.

Another afternoon at the spa. Today I get a head and face shave along with a facial. The Chef's Dinner begins ealy, for me, at 6"30, so it is back to the cabin the chasnge and meet the representative in the lobby bar for the nights feast and entertainment.

There is a $75.00 sur charge for this dinner, but I think it is well worth every penny of it. The dinner is seven, count them SEVEN courses in addition to the pre dinner reception, and unlimited wine offerings through out the evening. There are eleven of us gathered in the lobby bar. The chef comes out to greet us and takes us through the Renoir dining room into the kitchen where we are given Champagne and begin the tasting with Ahi Tuna Tartar, Duck Pot Stickers, Steak Taco (THIS IS THE BEST!!! I WISH IT WAS OFFERED AS AN ENTREE AT DINNER, I COULD MAKE A MEAL OFF THEM) Avocado Cheese Cake. All of this is presented in the kitchen as we are walked though the various staging and prep areas. We then move to the pastry area where they demonstrate making the famous Chocolate Melting Cake. Five Million Calories screaming to get into our bodies. This Chocolate Melting Cake will be served to us at the end of the meal.

We now move to a private dining room jut off the Renoir where the table is set with gleaming crystal and china, place cards and menus. Ladies on one side of the table, gentlemen on the other. Our first course is Norwegian Salmon Tartar, served with Avocado Mousse and Salmon Caviar. This is followed by Fire Roasted Tomato and Poblano Chile Bisque, with Grilled Corn and Cilantro Drizzle. (Yes, I am reading from the menu we were given! I am also reliving all the taste!) Choices of white or red wines are poured, and glasses kept filled through out the night. Our next course is Rock Shrimps and Apple Beignets. OMG, These were SO good. I am stuffed at this point, and we still have four additional courses ahead of us. I force myself to plow through and continue enjoying each bite, each mouthful, each tease of the taste buds. The next course is a chopped Mediterranean Salad. Beautiful. Crisp and refreshing. Next we have Fillet of Chilean Sea Bass. This was every bit as delicious as what I enjoyed my first night at the Steakhouse. This was served with Wine Stewed Shallots and a fantastic pea risotto. If sex was any better, you could not stand it. Now we area onto the MAIN course of Filet Mignon, served with onion streusel and three pepper mustard.

next is dessert, the Chocolate Melting Cake, with vanilla ice cream, a vanilla fondant over fruited sorbet.

Mid way through the meal the ship magician came to entertain us. This private show had us all mystified by his showmanship. After dinner, more wine was served. Special traveling glasses were offered so we could take more wine with us, should anyone care to continue the party evening mood. For me, it was waddling up to the cabin and falling into bed. I slept very well.

End of Day 3, the second sea day. Tomorrow, JAMAICA!

Great review.

Did you happen to try the fried oysters at Sur de Mer? Looking for a recent opinion.

Love the Conquest. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you for you kind comments. I did not try the oysHers. I do not like oysters. I have had some that had a very good taste. however, it is the texture I do not care for. No matter what you do to them, as soon as you put one in your mouth, you know you have an oyster in there. I did not hear any negative comments however.

Nice review! I'm enjoying reading about your cruise - Conquest is one of our favorite ships. I had to laugh at your description of your waterslide experience. I'm 51, and when we were on Carnival Fantasy a few weeks ago youngest son dared me to do the slides (that class has a twisting slide and racer slides). I did - and I really liked it! Son was finished with the slides before I was.:p

Thank you so much for the review. My partner and I are leaving Saturday to drive down from Lewisville to Galveston and board the Conquest on 9/11. Did you happen to notice if there was a Serenity area on deck 12 and 14? Some deck plans show it and some do not. You have us committed to the Chef's Table now. We always do the Point at least once. We'll be celebrating 20 years on 9/14, so already have the Point reserved.

I'm loving your review. I have a question though, was this your first time sailing without your partner? Would you recommend it to someone's who's addicted to cruising? I love to cruise way more than my husband but am really hesitant to just find some random Tom, Dick, or Harry to cruise with. I would love your input. Thanks in advance :-)

I'm loving your review. I have a question though, was this your first time sailing without your partner? Would you recommend it to someone's who's addicted to cruising? I love to cruise way more than my husband but am really hesitant to just find some random Tom, Dick, or Harry to cruise with. I would love your input. Thanks in advance :-)

Getting ready to continue my review, but in answer to your question: This was my third (3rd) time to cruise solo, and I really enjoy it. No problems. The first time was when we were scheduled to sail through the Panama Canal this past April. As I may have stated, my partner does nothing to take care of himself, and at the very last minute, I MEAN THE VERY LAST MINUTE, THE CAR WAS AT THE HOUSE TO TAKE US TO THE AIRPORT, he got ill, and said "just go without me".. No time to think, quickly re-arranged the packing and off to the airport. We were flying to Ft. Lauderdale to spend two days prior to sailing at The Fairmont Tamarac Isle resort in Miami. Aside from being slightly concrned (I have observed this behavior in my partner for a long time) I tried to relax and make the best of things. I am not shy about going out alone. Never been one to sit by the phone, if I want to go, I go alone. The flight was pleasant. I was in first class, and they upgraded a number of soldiers. This was so thrilling to see the airline be so gernerous to our service men and women. The chap next to me, and his buddies in front of me had never flown first class before, and I felt like mature uncle giving them advice on how to really enjoy the experience, the free drinkks, the in flight movie you do not have to pay for, getting real hot food at no additional cost. They were giddy. The flight attendants made sure as well they were happy. We had a little party going on. And all the other passengers that pased, getting on, and then going to the lavatory, took time to shake the soldiers hands and thank them for their service. I was so proud to be an American. But I digress....

Once I arrived at the hotel and settled into my room, I went to explore the resort. There were many Europeans there, and by the pool, in the cocktail lounge, I was invited to join people for drinks. Very pleasant. At dinner, (I dined in the hotel both nights, the first at the fine dining venu, the second at the more casual option) people at other tables would speak to me, and we would discuss what we had ordered, what looked good, etc. Very pleasant, and I never felt alone. The next day at breakfast I began making nice nice with the servers, who also took care of me at lunch. Somehow the topic of trash tabloids came up, and the hostess gave me some she had been reading. Then a mother with two children at the next table saw me with them and had to know what was going on. The Royal Wedding and of course Obama dominated the headlines. Always something to talk about there! The time passed very quickly, and before I realize it, I am checking out and heading to the pier to board the boat.. This cruise was with holland America, the Westerdam. I had one of the Penthouse Suites, and the boarding was very impressive. No lines, escorted to the suite, checked out the lounge, introduced to the fabulous concierges. I had made some contact on Cruise Critics here, and soon we found each other. We had a couple of events planned. A meet and Greet, which we did in the Penthouse, a wine crawl (too much fun, and I got the somolier (sp?) to join us. We had a Royal Wedding watching party one morning at 2 AM as well. I was lucky to have great people at my table in the MDR. I did the Pinnacle Grill several nights, and some nights we all from the MDR went as a group. I was lucky to make good friends there.

The cruise ended after 3 weeks in Seattle, where I stayed over for 3 days before boarding another ship, Celebrity (will never sail that line again, but another story) and again had made some connections through Cruise Critics. Several of us were all staying pre cruise at rthe same hotel, The Fairmont Olympic, and we met in the bar the night before sailing. A few of us then went out to dinner, and bonded BIG TIME! I had the best time on that curise with two ladies, traveling together. We were like the Three Muskateers. We dined most nights together, oftne in the specailty restaurants, shared some really good wine, planned a fab party (again in the Penthouse) and are now friends on Facebook!

Bottom line, do not be hesitant to sail alone, or do anything alone. Smile, say hello, and you will have a full dance card! Enjoy your travels.:)

znd now, on with my review of THE CONQUEST: Jamaica!

After two days at sea, everyone was excited to make the first port. I had noted on embarkation day, the crowds did not seem as thick as in the past, the Lido was not so crowded. But on this prot day, the halls and lobby were packed with people getting off, or trying to. For some reason, the elevators would not go to deck 0 where you got off. You had to go to deck 1, then walk down the stairs. I ahd singed up for the Rose Hall Plantation Tour. Rose hall is one of the most haunted houses in the world. It was featured on the Travel Cahnnel just before I sailed, so I was excited to get to see it in person. The house itself is magnificent. Beautifully restored. The Jamaican guide told the story very well of the mistress of the house, who murdered her three husbands (she had so much fun the first time, had to do it again, and again, and again.....) and then took slaves as her lovers, and in true "serviced matron" fashion, had them killed when she was done with them. She also took sport in torturing her slaves. Well, turn about is fair play, and the slaves eventually decided they had enough, and killed the mistress. There is Voodoo involve as well, and the sprit of this meanie still haunts her house, along with the dead husbands and murdered slaves. No one has spent the night there sine the mid 1980's. No one stay there once it begins to get dark. No one around to hear you screams, in the night, in the dark.....

The tour was fun, informative, and we were treated to some entertainment on a guitar with a man singing, and drank some of the special Witches Brew (rum spiked fruit punch-I;d like some more, please....) The weather was perfect this day. I have been in Montego Bay before at this timeof year, hot, humid, no air, but this day there were considerable clouds, a nice breeze and temperatures in the upper 80's. Great. Especially considering the hot, fry weather we were having up in DFW.

After the house tour, we were taken by bus and given 45 minutes to shop in what I guess in the downtown area. Most of the shops had the same items, tee shirt, dolls (VooDoo) and rum cakes and such. There is a fantastic linen store there. Hard to find fine table linens in the states. No one lives like that anymore, all the starching and ironing that one must do to enjoy fine linens. Great prices. For $80.00, I got a table cloth, twelve place matts, napkins and table runner. We returned to the boat and it looked like ity could rain. I went to the cabin, dropped off my purchases (I also got a Jamaican Barbie Doll, oh, and the shop there at the port were entertaining as well, bought some nice Polo shirts with Jamaican sayings on them some salt and pepper shakers, assorted souvineers) freshened up, and went out on the observation deck just off my cabin. A few other passengers were out there, and we watched the rain clouds move towards the ship. We saw a double rainbow, hen it began to sprinkle. Then it began to rain. Then it began to pour. I was so thrilled to be outside and wet, but not from sweating, I stood there until my glasses fogged over, then I went inside and took a nice hot bath in the jetted tub and prepared for cocktail hour and dinner. The rain came and went, but we had great lightening shows all night. I had cocktails in the Lobby Bar. I really enjoyed this venue. I like the music (I think this cruise had better entertainers on board than in the past). Met some great people passing though the bar area. One woman kept me company and we moved to the beat of the music, exchanging stories of our day.

Dinner once again was in The Steakhouse. As I was seated in waht was becoming my regular spot (the banquette jut around the corner from the hostess station) I was pleased to find next to me the woman I had worked with at The Mansion in Dallas. She was on board with her boyfriend and just finishing a great dinner. Looking out through the picture windows of the dining room, we saw beautiful lightening. Just a wonderful setting. Dinner was outstanding. I did the crab cakes and lobster ravioli, topped with shrimp. Can food get any better than this? Dessert was ice cram again. Just to stuffed to order one of the main desserts. Ice cram just right, two small scoops. Coffee with cream finished it off.

Now it is SHOWTIME! tonight, Lady Hellavi, and illusionist/magician, aided by the Conquest dances. Tonight the dancers wore a bit more clothes, but still wicked. I sat on the front row. I do not know how she does her tricks. Very impressive. Google lady helevi and you can get a taste of waht her show is like. Agter the shoe I go looking for some CC friends, cannot find them (probably tired from the day), have a nightcap in the lobby bar, then back to the cabin to undress, relax, and sit on the balcony again before turning in. A lovely day.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived