Cunard Black Sea Cruises

Cruachan

Thanks for the link, Sharon. Your photos have given my loads of good ideas on what I need to see.

Incidentally, where was the image about taken - those look like WW2 defences. I take it it's somewhere near Sebastopol.

J

It's overlooking the "Valley of Death", but there are many other defences around that area. Incidentally - and don't laugh - but the Ukrainian bus shelters en-route to Sevastapol were fabulous - Russian modernist architecture at its best and every one different - worth a book IMO!

A big thank you to everyone who has responded to this thread - this is CC at its best.

Loads of information here to assist in my planning although I will need to revisit it all rather closer to the time.

Thanks for the tip about the bus shelters Sharon - I will make a point of photographing a selection of those for my website!

J

Yes J, it sounds really interesting and this has been lovely to read.

The only diversion of course, introduced by yourself with the photo of Gari's official state car- no number plate.

I think we will be able to recognise him now as he tours the kingdom ;)

Good thread J, I'll not respond to Gari's car nor will I touch Foxy's ole rusty musket, as I have the remarkable ability to get a thread deleted by my second or third post; only on the Cunard board of course.:)

Aside from history where one of our Presidents loaned Eastern Europe to the Communists for a number of years, and the property still seems in disrepair, are there any bargains or values that you should look for in these ports?

"Kiss of Death Curry"

We did the QV "Black Sea" cruise in Sept 2010. Fabulous - Yalta & Odessa were spectacular.

Must "do's" inlcude the Potemkin Staircase (straight outside the port!) and the Cathedral and Opera House in Odessa - the War Memorial is also a great experience with the school children taking turns on display duty. The Palaces in and around Yalta are truly remarkable - Livadia, Alupka & the Swallow's Nest are all worth a visit.

Sailing in and out of the Black Sea waa fascinating - as is the "Istanbul section", the Dardenelles & Bosphorus of course.

Amazing trip on an elegant and luxurious ship. Would repeat the whole experience if given the opportunity!

Archived