Cunard Black Sea Cruises

Cruachan

Has anyone done a Black Sea cruise with Cunard? I am particularly interested in information about shore excursions from Yalta. My main interest is in visiting the Balaklava Battlefield. I'm prepared to consider a private tour as well as one sponsored by Cunard.

J

Has anyone done a Black Sea cruise with Cunard? I am particularly interested in information about shore excursions from Yalta. My main interest is in visiting the Balaklava Battlefield. I'm prepared to consider a private tour as well as one sponsored by Cunard.

J

Jimmy, I am heading there on P&O Adonia in 11 days, not that it answers your question but I thought that I should tell you anyway.. :)

Jimmy, I am heading there on P&O Adonia in 11 days, not that it answers your question but I thought that I should tell you anyway.. :)

Well, I've got plenty of time for the research Cap'n. 1 year and 8 days to be exact!

As well as Yalta, the ports I'm particularly interested in are Odessa and Constanza so any info you can provide when you get back would be very welcome.

Hope you have a fabulous time on Adonia.

J

Well, I've got plenty of time for the research Cap'n. 1 year and 8 days to be exact!

As well as Yalta, the ports I'm particularly interested in are Odessa and Constanza so any info you can provide when you get back would be very welcome.

Hope you have a fabulous time on Adonia.

J

I will do what I can, I have places for lunch sorted out but as yet I haven't looked at excursions. We have a raft of OBC to use so I should do something other than Martinis, they're not that good on P&O anyway,

J

Yes we have done this trip on two occasions - you really get the same tours whoever you sail with. We found both well run and we were given a good overview of the battle including a view of the battlefield from the hill where Lord Raglan viewed the Light Brigade fiasco. When we were last there there was an outside collection of Russian WW2 tanks/rocket launchers etc which was quite interesting. You would also, like us probably be somewhat underwhelmed by the famous "valley" but we did get a good sense of being in such an historic and well known place. It is well worth doing some research before you go, on the battle, as you do get a lot of information to take in on the day.

The tour should also include a visit to Sevastopol where the Russian submarine base was based. It is possible to go into the tunnels where the subs. were serviced.

The Black Sea is one of our favourite destinations - must go back some day soon.

David.

Yes we have done this trip on two occasions - you really get the same tours whoever you sail with. We found both well run and we were given a good overview of the battle including a view of the battlefield from the hill where Lord Raglan viewed the Light Brigade fiasco. When we were last there there was an outside collection of Russian WW2 tanks/rocket launchers etc which was quite interesting. You would also, like us probably be somewhat underwhelmed by the famous "valley" but we did get a good sense of being in such an historic and well known place. It is well worth doing some research before you go, on the battle, as you do get a lot of information to take in on the day.

The tour should also include a visit to Sevastopol where the Russian submarine base was based. It is possible to go into the tunnels where the subs. were serviced.

The Black Sea is one of our favourite destinations - must go back some day soon.

David.

David,

thanks for that. The aspect of Balaklava that interests me most is the infantry battle rather than the lemming like performance of the donkey wallopers.

My regiment is the only infantry regiment in the British Army with the battle honour "Balaklava". Their action was commemorated in the painting "The Thin Red Line" by Robert Gibb - although the term "Thin Red Line" is actually a misinterpretation of the despatch by a Times journalist by the name of William H Russell who described the 93rd Highlanders drawn up in line as being like a "thin red streak tipped with a line of steel". Needless to say, the regiment made much of that, and we still celebrate Balaklava Day on 25th October every year.

The modern hardware will also be of interest to me and I would really like to see and photograph the submarine base.

J

David,

thanks for that. The aspect of Balaklava that interests me most is the infantry battle rather than the lemming like performance of the donkey wallopers.

My regiment is the only infantry regiment in the British Army with the battle honour "Balaklava". Their action was commemorated in the painting "The Thin Red Line" by Robert Gibb - although the term "Thin Red Line" is actually a misinterpretation of the despatch by a Times journalist by the name of William H Russell who described the 93rd Highlanders drawn up in line as being like a "thin red streak tipped with a line of steel". Needless to say, the regiment made much of that, and we still celebrate Balaklava Day on 25th October every year.

The modern hardware will also be of interest to me and I would really like to see and photograph the submarine base.

J

Jimmy

P&O do offer a trip to both places at £70 per person and it takes pretty much all day (9 to 5) it includes lunch, details below.. I imagine that Cunard will be pretty similar.

Description:Visit the scene of the ‘Charge of the Light Brigade’ and explore the second largest city of the Crimea.

Arriving in Sevastopol, visit the Panorama, a circular building constructed for the monumental painting ‘The Defence of Sevastopol’ depicting the battle on Malakhov Hill during the Crimean War in 1855. Your panoramic city drive will take you past Primorsky Park, the monument to Admiral Nakhimov and ceremonial gate of the Count’s Pier.

Next, pause on Sapoune Heights, where Lord Raglan observed the Battle of Balaklava on 25th October 1854. The complete panorama of the ‘Valley of Death’ will unfold before you from the top of the hill where the events of the Charge of the Light Brigade took place.

Enjoy a Crimean-style lunch in one of the local restaurants in Balaklava and then some free time to explore the seaside promenade. Balaklava was a secret Soviet Naval base and the main base for British troops in the Crimean War. You’ll have the unique opportunity to visit the underground gallery, where the submarines of the Soviet navy were based.

It looks pretty good!

Although we didn't do this on Cunard or P&O, we did visit Sevastopol on HAL Prinsendam. We did an independent tour which took us to the view over the battlefield, the submarine tunnels (fascinating) and the Panorama Museum. The Museum is unbelievable and a must see IMHO.

As I didn't orchestrate the tour, I don't recall who we used or the cost. BUT, it looks like you can get all that in a ship's tour and that is so often difficult to do all in one.

We'd love to visit again.........

My regiment is the only infantry regiment in the British Army with the battle honour."Balaklava".....

I would really like to see and photograph the submarine base......

Good luck with the photographs Jimmy. I hear they do a very nice breakfast in the Lubyanka!

As you know, Balaclava/Balaklava was probably the only battle in which battle honours were awarded for what was, in effect, a stategic defeat. As you say, although eleven regiments were awarded honours, yours was the only infantry regiment.

Foxy

Jimmy

P&O do offer a trip to both places at £70 per person and it takes pretty much all day (9 to 5) it includes lunch, details below.. I imagine that Cunard will be pretty similar.

Description:Visit the scene of the ‘Charge of the Light Brigade’ and explore the second largest city of the Crimea.

Arriving in Sevastopol, visit the Panorama, a circular building constructed for the monumental painting ‘The Defence of Sevastopol’ depicting the battle on Malakhov Hill during the Crimean War in 1855. Your panoramic city drive will take you past Primorsky Park, the monument to Admiral Nakhimov and ceremonial gate of the Count’s Pier.

Next, pause on Sapoune Heights, where Lord Raglan observed the Battle of Balaklava on 25th October 1854. The complete panorama of the ‘Valley of Death’ will unfold before you from the top of the hill where the events of the Charge of the Light Brigade took place.

Enjoy a Crimean-style lunch in one of the local restaurants in Balaklava and then some free time to explore the seaside promenade. Balaklava was a secret Soviet Naval base and the main base for British troops in the Crimean War. You’ll have the unique opportunity to visit the underground gallery, where the submarines of the Soviet navy were based.

It looks pretty good!

Thanks Cap'n - that seems to tick all the right boxes. If Cunard do something similar (and, from what David says below, it looks like they will do), then I will be entirely happy.

J

...As you know, Balaclava/Balaklava was probably the only battle in which battle honours were awarded for what was, in effect, a stategic defeat....

Indeed, and the painting The Thin Red Line is a piece of artistic license bordering on total fantasy. The 93rd only fired three volleys in total, the closest being at 350 yards. I would love to get some photos of the battlefield for the Regimental Magazine (coincidentally known as The Thin Red Line - well, what else would they have called it?) because I think it's a long long number of years since any member of the regiment was there.

J

I just thought, how apposite that the Battle of Balakava ocurred on October 25th, coincidentally this is the date of our wedding anniversary.

In that case you may find the words of Sir Colin Campbell as he rallied the 93rd prior to the battle quite apposite.

"There is no retreat from here, men. You must die where you stand"

:D:D:D

J

In that case you may find the words of Sir Colin Campbell as he rallied the 93rd prior to the battle quite apposite.

:D:D:D

J

Or perhaps from a nearby conflict, "into the valley of death etc.." :rolleyes:

Jim - Going to sea again?? Will you be posting on the P & O site? I would be interested in hearing what you have to say. Hope all is going well -- I am back to work after my summer adventure and surviving Hurricane Irene. Best wishes. Katherine

Hi Katherine, pleased that you are safely ensconced back at work, I will be posting on the P&O site, I think but I am not sure how regularly as it is a 26 day trip and I have to pay for all of the internet access. I will post here just to alert those that are interested. See you next summer.

Originally Posted by capnpugwash viewpost.gif

I just thought, how apposite that the Battle of Balakava ocurred on October 25th, coincidentally this is the date of our wedding anniversary.

Which could also describe some marriages!!

Was this the same Colin Campbell of India fame? The Russian sub base would be a treat as well does it still glow in the dark?

Has the Black Sea just recently opened for cruising or is it just not often discussed? What is the usual home port for these cruises?

BTW how did you fare in the charge Foxy??

BTW how did you fare in the charge Foxy??

No no no, Gene. Foxy wasn't in a charge. He was on a charge. If I remember rightly it was something like failing to keep his powder dry, and having a rusty musket on guard mounting. :D:D

J

Just back yesterday from Black sea trip on The QV. We did a Yalta tour but luckily not a full day one. The Balaklave one was a very full day. A word of warning though, this is a very poor area - the wealthy Russians have abandoned Yalta for more glamorous resorts and there doesnt seem to be any money to try to improve the run down state of the many hideous concrete blocks built to house the soviet masses on their annual reward holidays. Its a shame as this is a fabulous location, far more potentially beautiful than Monaco, you can see why the Russian aristocrats built beautiful palaces there pre revolution. Anyway the end result of this is that its poverty results in eg the tour buses being totally clapped out with shot springs. DH was so travel sick (most unlike him) that we actually left our tour half way through to the consternation of our lovely guide. She was a very shaky old lady who endearingly referred to us all as "my dears". On comparing notes with others we all found that all the Ukrainians we met thought Yalta was absolutely gorgeous but us passengers were all thinking how could they let it get into such a state!

Almost sadly as we sailed out massive crowds gathered for miles along the coast to wave us off.

I was looking forward to hearing more about the Crimean war but it was rarely mentioned in our tour. I`m sure the Balaklave tour was more thorough if people could stand the antidiluvian transport!

Jimmy

It looks pretty good!

I did this tour from Artemis in 2008 and I can thoroughly recommend it. I have photos here if you wish to see what it was like. I certainly don't recall the coach being anything other than fairly normal, for Eastern Europe, anyway.

https://picasaweb.google.com/114801993219771801790/ArtemisCruiseToTheBlackSea#

0484.JPG

Just back yesterday from Black sea trip on The QV. We did a Yalta tour but luckily not a full day one. The Balaklave one was a very full day. A word of warning though, this is a very poor area - the wealthy Russians have abandoned Yalta for more glamorous resorts and there doesnt seem to be any money to try to improve the run down state of the many hideous concrete blocks built to house the soviet masses on their annual reward holidays. Its a shame as this is a fabulous location, far more potentially beautiful than Monaco, you can see why the Russian aristocrats built beautiful palaces there pre revolution. Anyway the end result of this is that its poverty results in eg the tour buses being totally clapped out with shot springs. DH was so travel sick (most unlike him) that we actually left our tour half way through to the consternation of our lovely guide. She was a very shaky old lady who endearingly referred to us all as "my dears". On comparing notes with others we all found that all the Ukrainians we met thought Yalta was absolutely gorgeous but us passengers were all thinking how could they let it get into such a state!

Almost sadly as we sailed out massive crowds gathered for miles along the coast to wave us off.

I was looking forward to hearing more about the Crimean war but it was rarely mentioned in our tour. I`m sure the Balaklave tour was more thorough if people could stand the antidiluvian transport!

That's all good-to-know stuff, NS. Thanks. I'll certainly be doing the Balaklava tour and the buses sound fascinating - hopefully I'll be able to get a few photos of those as well (no Gari - I'm not a bus-spotter!). I have a long and inglorious history of not listening to tour guides, no matter how good they are, so that's not going to be an issue really. In any event, the Regiment beat the history of the battle into me with such zeal and frequency that I should be able to concentrate on photography without bothering too much with the "voice over".

J

I did this tour from Artemis in 2008 and I can thoroughly recommend it. I have photos here if you wish to see what it was like. I certainly don't recall the coach being anything other than fairly normal, for Eastern Europe, anyway.

https://picasaweb.google.com/114801993219771801790/ArtemisCruiseToTheBlackSea#

0484.JPG

Thanks for the link, Sharon. Your photos have given my loads of good ideas on what I need to see.

Incidentally, where was the image about taken - those look like WW2 defences. I take it it's somewhere near Sebastopol.

J

(no Gari - I'm not a bus-spotter!).

J

Methinks the lad doth protest too much. I reckon you'd photograph anything if it was rusty enough and preferably not fit for purpose. I keep checking your website to see if pictures of my car have been posted yet.

Gari

Archived