Monarch of the Seas Steak House

I didn't see it when we were on the ship last. What they were doing is offering a "Chops" Steak Dinner at the price of $14.95 or so, as a special item on the menu in the main dining room. But that was a few months ago. Maybe someone else will chime in here and offer some updated info.

Yes, they do. It's called Black Rock, and is upstairs from WJ, and is in the same place as Jade. Entrees range from $10-$20. Dress code is casual.

Thanks for the info. This sounds interesting. Did they take away the menu from Jade and is this a dedicated steak house type of eatery?

Thanks for the info. This sounds interesting. Did they take away the menu from Jade and is this a dedicated steak house type of eatery?

No. It's a combination of two restaurant concepts in one place (one menu - sushi on left page, and Black Rock on right page). When we were on Monarch a few weeks ago we just did sushi, but we've done both on prior Monarch sailings.

No. It's a combination of two restaurant concepts in one place (one menu - sushi on left page, and Black Rock on right page). When we were on Monarch a few weeks ago we just did sushi, but we've done both on prior Monarch sailings.

Thanks! Sounds interesting.

I don't think you get a steak. I think it's slices of fillet to cook yourself on heated rocks.

You're probably confusing this with Izumi on Allure. Izumi serves sliced tenderloin. The Jade/Black Rock Grille on Monarch is a different concept. There are a variety of meat choices - beef, chicken, tuna, etc, but the smallest filet is a 7 or 8 ounce filet, and it's definitely not delivered to your table sliced. The last time we did black rock, I had a 10-oz filet, and DW had the ahi tuna - both gorgeous steaks. The only things that come to the table sliced are the veggies.

You're probably confusing this with Izumi on Allure. Izumi serves sliced tenderloin. The Jade/Black Rock Grille on Monarch is a different concept. There are a variety of meat choices - beef, chicken, tuna, etc, but the smallest filet is a 7 or 8 ounce filet, and it's definitely not delivered to your table sliced. The last time we did black rock, I had a 10-oz filet, and DW had the ahi tuna - both gorgeous steaks. The only things that come to the table sliced are the veggies.

....and for this, you have to pay?

Yes, but if I remember correctly, the large filet was ~$10, and the tuna was $7 or $8. I think there was also a 16-oz steak on the menu - maybe a sirloin? that was a bit more ~$15, and a filet and shrimp combo that was about $15 as well.

I just went to RCI's site to try to book this for my upcoming Monarch cruise, and got a message that said: "There are currently no Specialty Restaurants and Dining Experiences options for your sailing."

Does that mean that a) all of the seatings are booked, b) Jade/Black Rock won't be operating during this cruise, or b) it's too early to make a reservation?

If it's simply booked up, is it possible to snag a cancellation if I go to the booking desk as soon as I board?

Thanks!

I have NEVER seen it full.........no need for ressies............most I have ever seen in there is a handful of people and those are usually the officers and their guests..

I did have the filet and shrimp combo and it was very good........but had to cook it myself..:p

I just went to RCI's site to try to book this for my upcoming Monarch cruise, and got a message that said: "There are currently no Specialty Restaurants and Dining Experiences options for your sailing."

Does that mean that a) all of the seatings are booked, b) Jade/Black Rock won't be operating during this cruise, or b) it's too early to make a reservation?

If it's simply booked up, is it possible to snag a cancellation if I go to the booking desk as soon as I board?

Thanks!

We've never seen more than 3 or 4 other couples there at one time. On our last Monarch cruise in August, we were the only couple in there when we arrived (~7-ish), and by the time we left, there were only three other couples there.

We were the only people in there a few years ago. Seems someone has a photo of the words Steakhouse added in the letters you put on your mailbox under the professionally done Jade sign. :eek: The review also showed them cooking their own steaks on a hot stone. I agree this is such a wasted space on the ship unless your looking for a quiet meal you pay for. :rolleyes:

BonVoyage

Dawna

Archived